2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Richie87 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Level 2 allows for 200 fans at Sporting events. Level 1 is 500. That's the most that will be attending, so the stream service is the only alternative for the season. The viewing numbers for the streaming weren't good last season. The Euros will be on in June so they'll have to work around those fixtures, instead of clashing.

Online
User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6975
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Richie87 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 pm Level 2 allows for 200 fans at Sporting events. Level 1 is 500. That's the most that will be attending, so the stream service is the only alternative for the season. The viewing numbers for the streaming weren't good last season. The Euros will be on in June so they'll have to work around those fixtures, instead of clashing.
That will most certainly mean the Euro games in the Aviva in the summer will be behind closed doors. Had 3 tickets for the last 16 clash. 😭
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Richie87 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Richie87 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 pm Level 2 allows for 200 fans at Sporting events. Level 1 is 500. That's the most that will be attending, so the stream service is the only alternative for the season. The viewing numbers for the streaming weren't good last season. The Euros will be on in June so they'll have to work around those fixtures, instead of clashing.
That will most certainly mean the Euro games in the Aviva in the summer will be behind closed doors. Had 3 tickets for the last 16 clash. 😭
I don't think Ireland is in the equation to host games now. They are looking at having the Entire Euro tournament in England https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 29385.html

Online
User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6975
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Richie87 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:46 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Richie87 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 pm Level 2 allows for 200 fans at Sporting events. Level 1 is 500. That's the most that will be attending, so the stream service is the only alternative for the season. The viewing numbers for the streaming weren't good last season. The Euros will be on in June so they'll have to work around those fixtures, instead of clashing.
That will most certainly mean the Euro games in the Aviva in the summer will be behind closed doors. Had 3 tickets for the last 16 clash. 😭
I don't think Ireland is in the equation to host games now. They are looking at having the Entire Euro tournament in England https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 29385.html
Typical of my luck had 3 tickets for the last 16 match.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4848
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 am

Gerry Malone saying Michael Duffy out with a long term back injury. Love to know how he managed that in the close season.

Watch LOI to be priced at €59 for half a season, every match that isn’t on RTE. Club to contact ST holders. Apparently Soccer Republic is dead, after RTE successfully killed it.

User avatar
Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4848
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Peak11 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Good few debuts, couple of early first impressions:

Abibi: looked fine with the little bit he had to do.
Sonni: same
Jurkovskis: easily the pick of the bunch. Looked class and if he keeps that up we won’t miss Gannon at all.
Stanton: looked like he didn’t know how he was supposed to fit into the shape, but still involved in both goals.
O’Kane: very exciting first half. Pity he didn’t get that goal which would have been wonderful for him personally.
Midtskogen: completely lost, bit worrying.
Chino: bizarre double debut and don’t think he touched the ball either time. No idea where he was supposed to be playing either.
Junior: Found space for the goal well and was a handful. Bit too fond of trying to draw fouls. Hope he has a bit more pace than he showed as he gets match fit. Our chance conversion rate hasn’t been great the last few years, so could be the clinical finisher we’ve lacked.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm

So first friendly behind us, a few hours to let excitement and nerves settle.....what is the general feeling about the squad shape, management etc. this evening??

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:26 pm

So the stream was sponsored by Bet Regal and had a lengthy interview with one of their guys at HT. So can I take it they provided the extra finance which vastly improved the cameras, angles , sound and replays etc and got Stephanie Roach ( who was very good ) on board?
Shout out to Adrian T too, but he did it last year as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
pingu1
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:42 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by pingu1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:28 pm

Pepsi wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm So first friendly behind us, a few hours to let excitement and nerves settle.....what is the general feeling about the squad shape, management etc. this evening??
I think it's still very early to tell, but I am a lot less nervous than I was pre-match. Some players had good showings for sure, really like young O'Kane. Overall, I think given we were missing some key players, it was a decent run out. The area I am most nervous about is GK. Rogers has set a high bar and I think if back 4 are unsure of what's behind.

One thing I've been thinking about over the last few days, and I know we all have opinions on the 1 year contracts; but I do think we're set up to be stronger than most (apart from Rovers) in the second half of the season. A lot of clubs seem to have taken a good number of players on loan. My guess is similar to when Michael Hector was with us in 2011, they'll go back home for pre-season around the mid season break. Unsettling their squads could be a key for us kicking on in after that.
The only team for me.....

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:40 pm

pingu1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:28 pm
Pepsi wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm So first friendly behind us, a few hours to let excitement and nerves settle.....what is the general feeling about the squad shape, management etc. this evening??
I think it's still very early to tell, but I am a lot less nervous than I was pre-match. Some players had good showings for sure, really like young O'Kane. Overall, I think given we were missing some key players, it was a decent run out. The area I am most nervous about is GK. Rogers has set a high bar and I think if back 4 are unsure of what's behind.

One thing I've been thinking about over the last few days, and I know we all have opinions on the 1 year contracts; but I do think we're set up to be stronger than most (apart from Rovers) in the second half of the season. A lot of clubs seem to have taken a good number of players on loan. My guess is similar to when Michael Hector was with us in 2011, they'll go back home for pre-season around the mid season break. Unsettling their squads could be a key for us kicking on in after that.
Keeper is an area that will need time, time will tell if Abibi has what it takes. Also a little worrying was the Sloggett and Stanton had their problems getting into the game, would have loved to have them pulling strings and dictating play.

As for the squad, the next few days/week will let us see what we will have come the opening game of the season. I expect a few of the Americans to go on loan, let them settle into LOI life away from the limelight and all that, but I also expect us to take in one or two more...as least a few rumours out there.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Richie87 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Abibi looked nervous, he had little to do but did look a bit unsure of himself a few times in the box. It was his debut will take time. Hence why they signed an experienced keeper as back up.
Jurkovkis showed why he is in an International player, watching him on Youbube beforehand he looked an exciting player. I think he has more natural ability then Gannon.
O Kane was very good. He was signed on a 3 year deal, could be a player they could they make money on if if performs well during the season

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 pm

Why don’t we offer a better contract , to Richie. Is a pre - contract , binding.😀

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Close to 15k watched the stream today according to Niall Newberry. Wow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2138
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by oldfogey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 pm

We are obviously biased, would love to know what the Bohs - or any other fans - fans thought.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:05 am

oldfogey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 pm We are obviously biased, would love to know what the Bohs - or any other fans - fans thought.
Havent heard anyone saying too much. In fact most Rovers fans went into Towell signed for us modus, which I think says a lot. Fans, some of our own included, are expecting Peak6/FGs new system to flop, which it may, however the unknown is also worrying many. It is very much an unknown box of suprises for DFC this season, it is now time for all of us to get behind it and hopefully enjoy the ride.

Post Reply