Dundalk v Bohemians | League Series 4 | Friday 9 April 2021 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | League Series 4 | Friday 9 April 2021 19.45

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:18 pm

I thought Jurkovskis did well on the left and kept Ganno relatively quiet.

Interesting to hear the quote from Raivis after international duty - ''I needed to get those minutes into my legs'' (translated as ''I had no preseason, WTF is going on here'')
Peak11 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm Don’t know how long Garts is out for and Sonni is suspended. Don’t know if we’ll switch Jurkovskis and Dummigan again. After last week’s spoofing about McEleney, no idea when he’ll be back - this week or weeks from now. I assume they’ll go with Leahy on the left of three centre backs but then instead of doing that last week they put Sloggett on the right so who knows any more? They’ll stick by Abibi until the bitter end I suspect.

If I had my way:
Cherrie
Dummigan-Cleary-Boyle-Jurkovskis
Shields
Duffy-Sloggett-Stanton-Han
Hoban
Would agree with that team, lacking options in the middle so forced to go with those 3.

No way they'll drop Abibi. Pride comes before a fall.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Bohs had have a terrible start, as well as us, to the year. They look very 1 dimensional, and seem below St. Pats, Sligo and Harps. This is a real must win, anything less , our title push is nearly over after 4 games.

I fear if we don't win, the 'new manager' thread will be getting more traffic. Ruaidhrí Higgins anyone?...........
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 pm

Peak11 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:54 pm
superman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm Ruaidhrí Higgins anyone?...........
The only Irish player we signed this year is O’Kane. The only player with LOI experience was Cherrie. If it happens I’d say the chances of any replacement for our management team being already based in Irish football are pretty low.
You would imagine that it will be Jim Magilton.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Breffni white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Breffni white » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Peak11 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm Don’t know how long Garts is out for and Sonni is suspended. Don’t know if we’ll switch Jurkovskis and Dummigan again. After last week’s spoofing about McEleney, no idea when he’ll be back - this week or weeks from now. I assume they’ll go with Leahy on the left of three centre backs but then instead of doing that last week they put Sloggett on the right so who knows any more? They’ll stick by Abibi until the bitter end I suspect.

If I had my way:
Cherrie
Shields
Duffy-Sloggett-Stanton-Han
Hoban
Sloggett for me is the LOI version of Jeff Hendrick , i just don't see what he offers defensively or going forward whether that be creating chances or goal scoring.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Breffni white wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm Sloggett for me is the LOI version of Jeff Hendrick , i just don't see what he offers defensively or going forward whether that be creating chances or goal scoring.
I think there is a class player there that we aren't getting the best out of. He'll be another Greg Bolger and he'll light the league up with another club
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Bohs are as bad if not worse than us this season, they have nothing up front at all so I would fancy us to keep them scoreless unless they persist with Abibi.

We have to revert to four at the back, there is no choice here. We also need to close the gap between midfield and Hoban, do we move one of the wingers infield as we have nobody that can play there apart from Fats?

Cherrie
Shields -Stanton
Duffy-------Junior-----------O'Kane
Hoban
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bogger » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:36 pm
Breffni white wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm Sloggett for me is the LOI version of Jeff Hendrick , i just don't see what he offers defensively or going forward whether that be creating chances or goal scoring.
I think there is a class player there that we aren't getting the best out of. He'll be another Greg Bolger and he'll light the league up with another club
No chance I agree with Breffni he’s a disaster

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Was Sonni suspended for three games? Thought it was two
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 pm

We need a leader in central defence. Someone needs to stand up and take charge and boss the rest around and tell them what to do. I thought that Boyle could do that role, but it seems not. I'm not sure Cleary is up to it either just yet. Maybe in another year or two.

Sadly Slogget appears to have gone backwards. I had hopes for him but he has looked like a passenger.

If the rumours about Giovagnoli are not true, then I would expect this to be his last match unless we win convincingly. I am not optimistic about a win though. A draw seems more likely.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:43 pm

Am I imagining it, or is there a lack of interest in this game?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by OHare » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am

Is anyone else dreading the thoughts of not getting the 3 points tonight..

Is the coaching staff Job on the line tonight if we don't win or will the owners dig there heels in and stick with them seeing as it was there appointment.

I can only imagine the tension there would be in oriel tonight if crowds were allowed in.
Bohs game plan tonight should surely include lumping crosses in on top of Abibi with Georgie Kelly to get stuck into him& plenty of long range shots. Not looking forward to later.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:25 am

Wexford White wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:43 pm Am I imagining it, or is there a lack of interest in this game?
Nervousness rather than lack of interest I think!!

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:26 am

FG's turn in the Coaches Corner (Manager's Notes) section of the programme, it was Keegan last week so wonder if we will get the full rotation of backroom staff writing these piece's. He defended Abibi, as you would expect, said he is hoping to get on a Pro License course in Ireland if a spot becomes available or in Italy this July when their course starts, praised Brian Gartland and wished him a speedy recovery and also revealed that McEleney got injured again the day before the Finn Harps game, doesn't mention the nature of the injury but god that lad has no luck with injuries.

I'm desperately clinging to hope that we can turn this around as it's still early doors but I think defeat tonight against what has looked a poor Bohemians side will be catastrophic, you'd wonder how much rope the current management has...
Mon the Town!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am

OHare wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am Is anyone else dreading the thoughts of not getting the 3 points tonight..

Is the coaching staff Job on the line tonight if we don't win or will the owners dig there heels in and stick with them seeing as it was there appointment.

I can only imagine the tension there would be in oriel tonight if crowds were allowed in.
Bohs game plan tonight should surely include lumping crosses in on top of Abibi with Georgie Kelly to get stuck into him& plenty of long range shots. Not looking forward to later.
A draw is of no consequence to either team tonight. It's win or bust. If we win it, hopefully kickstarts our season, if we lose they have to act and act fast imho. And not pre empting anything here, but if we lose and the management team are sacked, then the club realistically have to make a statement with their replacement and get the correct manager on board with all necessary boxes ticked. With regards the match tonight, the shape of the team is out of kilter when we have 3 recognised CBs playing across a back 3. I think now that for this game we only have 2 recognised CBs that we really should revert to a flat back 4. Equally what is the point of signing Han and taking him from South Korea to warm the bench. Start him see how it goes. We need something to kick start our season. Remember a few seasons ago it took a 94th minute penalty from Hoban against Bohs to get our season kicked into life. We need similar tonight. I don't care how we win once we finally get that win tonight. Speed up our play get the crosses into Hoban early and he will score. The slow build up is killing us the same way the fast counter attacking by the opposition is leaving us over exposed at the back. Bohs aren't the team they were in previous seasons, then again neither are we. But I'm hoping for a 2-0 victory tonight.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am
OHare wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am Is anyone else dreading the thoughts of not getting the 3 points tonight..

A draw is of no consequence to either team tonight. It's win or bust. If we win it, hopefully kickstarts our season, if we lose they have to act and act fast imho. And not pre empting anything here, but if we lose and the management team are sacked, then the club realistically have to make a statement with their replacement and get the correct manager on board with all necessary boxes ticked. With regards the match tonight, the shape of the team is out of kilter when we have 3 recognised CBs playing across a back 3. I think now that for this game we only have 2 recognised CBs that we really should revert to a flat back 4. Equally what is the point of signing Han and taking him from South Korea to warm the bench. Start him see how it goes. We need something to kick start our season. Remember a few seasons ago it took a 94th minute penalty from Hoban against Bohs to get our season kicked into life. We need similar tonight. I don't care how we win once we finally get that win tonight. Speed up our play get the crosses into Hoban early and he will score. The slow build up is killing us the same way the fast counter attacking by the opposition is leaving us over exposed at the back. Bohs aren't the team they were in previous seasons, then again neither are we. But I'm hoping for a 2-0 victory tonight.
Is there any point in getting rid of the current management team if there isn't better lined up and ready to go?

Would people be happy with an interim set up of Jim Magilton assisted by Sam?

I don't think there was much of a plan when Perth was sacked.

If there are concerns around the management set up from within the club then the feelers should be going out now and have a list of potential candidates ready to go.