Podcasts

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Podcasts

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:53 pm

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:53 pm Said better than I can:

https://donalhanks.com/2021/07/31/strik ... are-happy/
We’re off topic for the podcasts

That article is a quality, considered article : 48 hours after a victory when the celebrations have died away.

As apposed to the cynical digs immediately after the win, that can speak volumes about the result some people wanted.

This season is ( / last 12 months) have been bizarre .

Of course there needs to be a healthy eye on the longer term…. Fats is in the midst of his best spell ever for us , it’s a shame he and Chris won’t be around next year.

The rest of the squad are In the same boat as hoban was at the end of 2019 … and it’s far from ideal for anyone, and it’s not the best way to do business but it appears to be the P6 way. And In fairness , could you imagine the outcry if Zahibo had a couple of years to run on his ? (M

We’re probably unique in the league that our income next year will be more difficult to predict than any other club .

The club needs time to accurately predict it’s income levels next year . That’s just sensible .

Leaving that aside - for all we know the ‘Vinny returns’ experiment could have gone really badly ( not likely IMO - great decision - but many were against it , favouring an ex player with no LOI management experience ) and if it did - up till a few weeks ago we could have been out of Europe / the FAI cup , and in a relegation battle.

Also - Players will be more reluctant ( hence more expensive ) to sign / extend - when you don’t know who the manager is … and
The club will most likely be reluctant to tie any manger into the long term ( see JM’s 4 year - reported 100k per year+ contract and how it’s going and his touch line spell went ) .

Looking at next season - ALL clubs need to cut their cloth to measure.
The size of our cloth - is still very variable - so yes ,,, I think we should be focussed on supporting the team above all , and being patient.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Worth listening to James Rogers dissect Vinny’s outburst with a lot of common sense in the new Press Box.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 pm

https://open.spotify.com/show/1erDs8P7xwy5Lgtz99jk4O

Good press box this week as per usual - all the LOI ones load automatically on my spotify its great and adds a lot to the support of the club!
rogers really annoyed about vinnies complaining about 'noise around the club' etc

To be fair my hearing of his comments were that they went anti Rogers more ( and I think its true ) we're the most covered club in the league when you factor in 2 local papers , six billion podcasts ( long may they continue ! ) as well as fodder for the main LOI journalists / pod cast & articles - where were still baring the brunt of the back lash from our success. It all naturally generates more scrutiny / questions / hence the amount of unanswered questions grow. It can also lead to BS speculation that makes it to print , and vp was ' theorising ' as to why .

I do think as fans we/ and jounrno's sometimes think of the player as super stars well able for the criticism , when in fact they ( and the manger ) are probably fretting about holding down a job ..... its both fair comment by perth , and tough sh!t

the coverage great for us .

clearly perth doesnt want scrutiny when things in the background are so ropey, natural but tough luck , think james takes it too personally and was waiting to have a go regarding lack of media done by VPin general - . Or he was tetchy because some of his stories turn out to be BS . Perth obviously taken a strategy decision to step back from media for now as the lack of clarity at the club naturally makes it difficult and he's enough to be concerned about.

Its both true that there's been bullshit rumour's printed & reported - that vp is right to be frustrated about - AND more clarity needed soon. .... hardly stinging critique unless you're a very thin skinned journalist

poor of rogers to quote breech of media regulations if vp avoids press ( effectively threatening to cost the club 50 k ) and on the other hand setting out that he's very short staffed and needs to be on hand for training . maybe perth reads rogers and was annoyed that leading up to the appointment rogers seemed to be dripping the nonsense about him loosing the dressing room in 19 , was apparently DESPERATE, for the roll and offered to do it for free (might have been anti dunDalkDan that one ) and sending out skewed pro Jim league tables ! who knows. but i'm sure they could have a cup of tea together resolve

anyway - long may the coverage continue , its good.
And as long as its factual .... and doesn’t get back to the the ' good positive coverage for those i have access to / or are my pals ' and everyone else slaughtered ( ala between the stripes pod ) . . . ..the coverage is all great !

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm

Was James Rogers not barred from Oriel or something in the past as the club didnt like his reporting? Is there maybe history there with Vinny? Cant remember what exactly it was but I am nearly certain there is history there.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 pm

southerncomfort wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 pm https://open.spotify.com/show/1erDs8P7xwy5Lgtz99jk4O

Good press box this week as per usual - all the LOI ones load automatically on my spotify its great and adds a lot to the support of the club!
rogers really annoyed about vinnies complaining about 'noise around the club' etc

To be fair my hearing of his comments were that they went anti Rogers more ( and I think its true ) we're the most covered club in the league when you factor in 2 local papers , six billion podcasts ( long may they continue ! ) as well as fodder for the main LOI journalists / pod cast & articles - where were still baring the brunt of the back lash from our success. It all naturally generates more scrutiny / questions / hence the amount of unanswered questions grow. It can also lead to BS speculation that makes it to print , and vp was ' theorising ' as to why .

I do think as fans we/ and jounrno's sometimes think of the player as super stars well able for the criticism , when in fact they ( and the manger ) are probably fretting about holding down a job ..... its both fair comment by perth , and tough sh!t

the coverage great for us .

clearly perth doesnt want scrutiny when things in the background are so ropey, natural but tough luck , think james takes it too personally and was waiting to have a go regarding lack of media done by VPin general - . Or he was tetchy because some of his stories turn out to be BS . Perth obviously taken a strategy decision to step back from media for now as the lack of clarity at the club naturally makes it difficult and he's enough to be concerned about.

Its both true that there's been bullshit rumour's printed & reported - that vp is right to be frustrated about - AND more clarity needed soon. .... hardly stinging critique unless you're a very thin skinned journalist

poor of rogers to quote breech of media regulations if vp avoids press ( effectively threatening to cost the club 50 k ) and on the other hand setting out that he's very short staffed and needs to be on hand for training . maybe perth reads rogers and was annoyed that leading up to the appointment rogers seemed to be dripping the nonsense about him loosing the dressing room in 19 , was apparently DESPERATE, for the roll and offered to do it for free (might have been anti dunDalkDan that one ) and sending out skewed pro Jim league tables ! who knows. but i'm sure they could have a cup of tea together resolve

anyway - long may the coverage continue , its good.
And as long as its factual .... and doesn’t get back to the the ' good positive coverage for those i have access to / or are my pals ' and everyone else slaughtered ( ala between the stripes pod ) . . . ..the coverage is all great !
Good post.
James certainly came ‘armed’ for this week’s podcast and went on a bit of a rant imo, Craig couldn’t get a word in edgewise! Quoting UEFA protocols to the paragraph number must have taken quite a bit of time to look up ! It’s petty and doesn’t reflect well on him.
I didn’t read VP’s comments as targeting any one in particular so I don’t know why James got all hot and bothered about them or took them as Vinny have a go at him.
Journalists and podcasters have the upper hand here. Mangers are asked for comments straight after a game when the blood is up . Podcasters on the other hand have plenty of time to craft their response or take on those ‘off the cuff’ comments.
It is true that having 2 local papers, 3 podcasts and all the other social media creates a lot of pressure on the 1st team and management. It’s something I referenced at the start of the season when the 2 new podcasts began.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:19 pm

I can see both points here. It's not a good look for a manager to refuse to talk to the media especially when there seems to be a bit of a turn in performance and a bit of positivity for the first time in a while. "There is a lot of noise". Of course there is. It's radio silence from the club on almost all matters so people are going to try and piece together what they can from as many sources as possible and some of them sources are less than reliable.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet so only basing this on the previous few posts but I'd be a little bit disappointed with James if he's gone on the attack. Rightly or wrongly Vinny has an issue with the media at the moment and creating more friction won't help anyone.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:24 pm

He hasn’t attacked him. He’s gone through Vinny’s post match interview and addressed what Vinny said.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:28 am

really?
Last edited by southerncomfort on Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:44 pm

southerncomfort wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:28 am ‘’ DUNDALK head coach Vinny Perth has hinted he may have to look elsewhere if the club cannot match his own personal ambitions’’

Utter BS take from rogers confirming some sort of anti perth agenda , read the quotes listened to audio , it’s mischief making and trying to paint him unfavourably ( as he did before the return ).

Starting to fully understand why perth isn’t as pliable as he’d like . Poor stuff . Can only presume it’s ‘ good coverage for access ‘ driven - or something more sinister

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/lo ... 59858.html
I think your own bias towards Rogers is hampering you here. It's a fairly nothing piece and Perth does say he wants to compete at that level regular. He may well look elsewhere come the end of the season with no sign of a contract, and he'd be well within his rights to do that too, as would everyone not tied down for next season

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 am

Dan McDonnell was the guest on the Town End Podcast. https://t.co/WptFjMesRD?amp=1

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:17 am

Richie87 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 am Dan McDonnell was the guest on the Town End Podcast. https://t.co/WptFjMesRD?amp=1
A good listen ! While I think Dan’s coverage is unnecessarily destabilising, and coloured by his contacts & ‘in favour ‘ of his own contacts by its nature he’s an engaging and skilful communicator . Putting digs in left right and centre at the manager and chairman and barely naming them . Clever ! ( not journalism ! But clever ! )

At times during this pod you’d have to duck with the amount of axes to grind around the place

& really don’t understand why someone who hasn’t actually watched the game is worth listening to on his opinion of the game from radio commentary .

Feel bad for the lads loosing the contract for the feed … Hopefully unconnected to the criticism of the club and management in recent weeks - that would be poor form ( but the clubs prerogative of course )

Worth a listen - pods a great addition

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:12 am

No interest or respect for dan mcdonnell whatsoever. He constantly grinds an axe with a clear agenda against us but seems to get a free pass here cos he created this forum. He snipes at us every opportunity he gets.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Or he knows what’s going on, he knows how moronically a position of absolute dominance has been thrown away, and he’s disgusted by it.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:30 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:01 pm Or he knows what’s going on, he knows how moronically a position of absolute dominance has been thrown away, and he’s disgusted by it.
He has a constant axe. We could go on to beat rovers in the cup final again, and he will have a negative spin on it. He's as bad as some of the usual suspects in the stand last night moaning and shouting at players when we were 4 and 5-1 up. Support the fecking team.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.