Supporters Club

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Supporters Club

Post by BigChief » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Not great from a supporters club elected member calling the club a disgrace on Social media. I wouldn't even mind, but the sign says erected by Dundalk Grammar school, so contact them for information. ​Im sure all the recent publicity around the protests behind the goals has led the Grammar school to review access down that laneway as its a H&S hazard to have drunk people climbing up onto fences lighting flares on their land.

Any future issues the Supporters club members have can hopefully be addressed through proper channels such as the meetings with club officials or use the newly appointed SLO's instead of airing grievances over Social media before you even know the facts.
Last edited by BigChief on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm

BigChief wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm Please tell me that guy with the megaphone is not on the board of the supporters club.

Them young lads must think they have a divine right to be on the back fence watching match's while the other 99% of fans are sat at home watching it on WatchLoi..

Supporters club is up Sh!t creek already if they are going to have elected members crying on social media. I wouldn't even mind, but the sign says erected by Dundalk Grammar school. Im sure all the recent publicity around the protests behind the goals has led the Grammar school to review access down that laneway as its a H&S hazard to have drunk people climbing up onto fences lighting flares on their land.
I'm not sure, but it's what I am asking.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Hes part of the protest group for sure, and was tweeting close-up pictures of a Garda who wouldnt let them access the wall a couple of weeks ago. If this is the level of maturity that the supporters club is attracting then it has no future.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 pm

So from the tone of the last few posts, an inclusive supporters club should only have people on the committee that we agree with? I think it's important that there is a representative on the committee from the protestors/Shedside army. There has long been a fracture among fans and a number of cliques in Oriel, hopefully the supporters club will address this. There was plenty of opportunities for any of you (or me) to put our names forward and none of us did. Lee, put his name forward and just because we may not agree with his tweets doesn't mean he can't have a positive and constructive role in the supporters club.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 pm So from the tone of the last few posts, an inclusive supporters club should only have people on the committee that we agree with? I think it's important that there is a representative on the committee from the protestors/Shedside army. There has long been a fracture among fans and a number of cliques in Oriel, hopefully the supporters club will address this. There was plenty of opportunities for any of you (or me) to put our names forward and none of us did. Lee, put his name forward and just because we may not agree with his tweets doesn't mean he can't have a positive and constructive role in the supporters club.
But he is factually incorrect.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:12 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 pm So from the tone of the last few posts, an inclusive supporters club should only have people on the committee that we agree with? I think it's important that there is a representative on the committee from the protestors/Shedside army. There has long been a fracture among fans and a number of cliques in Oriel, hopefully the supporters club will address this. There was plenty of opportunities for any of you (or me) to put our names forward and none of us did. Lee, put his name forward and just because we may not agree with his tweets doesn't mean he can't have a positive and constructive role in the supporters club.
I dont know the lad, nor have I seen the tweet, however, from reading the comments here, all I can say is a press officer should be a little more savvy and be a lot more mature if he wants the supporters club to be taken seriously. Even when it is his private account he is tweeting from, he is still leaving himself exposed to questions and the supports club open to critism. People must be asking themselves, is he using his position on the board to get the message of a minority accross or will he really be willing to offer the opinion or views of the majority even if he does not agree with them. I feel members missed a trick here ..... why didnt someone have the idea to give the press work to a professional alá James Rogers, Craig Colgan or someone a little older and wiser..... Someone who knows the when to open their mouths (tweets) and when not to.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:46 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:53 pm
But he is factually incorrect.
I meant his tweets in general rather than that individual one.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:12 pm
I dont know the lad, nor have I seen the tweet, however, from reading the comments here, all I can say is a press officer should be a little more savvy and be a lot more mature if he wants the supporters club to be taken seriously. Even when it is his private account he is tweeting from, he is still leaving himself exposed to questions and the supports club open to critism. People must be asking themselves, is he using his position on the board to get the message of a minority accross or will he really be willing to offer the opinion or views of the majority even if he does not agree with them. I feel members missed a trick here ..... why didnt someone have the idea to give the press work to a professional alá James Rogers, Craig Colgan or someone a little older and wiser..... Someone who knows the when to open their mouths (tweets) and when not to.
The intention of the supporters club is to be fully democratic from what I've seen so far. There was an email that went around to those that registered asking to nominate people for the board. Some were elected by vote and some were elected unopposed. I have no idea if James or Craig were asked to help or offered their services but their experience would have been very helpful.

Who knows if the supporters club will be successful but I think we need to give it a chance rather than write it off as a member of the committee has views some don't agree with. Let's see what the committee come back with for the short, medium and long term goals of the club before we deem it a failure before it has even begun.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:55 pm

Who knows if the supporters club will be successful but I think we need to give it a chance rather than write it off as a member of the committee has views some don't agree with.
Its much more than that and you know it. A supporters club media officer is leveling false accusations at the club. Pointing fingers, not engaging. He is taking close ups of front line workers who ask him to abide by current regulations and posting them on Twitter. He wants to attend matches during a pandemic and blames the club that he is not allowed watch the game from the private property of the grammar school.

I would never want to be associated with him or allow him to speak for me as a representative of a supporters club. And that is why I and many others wont have anything to do with it.

You are saying listen to all fans while dismissing concerns of others.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:14 pm

A section of fans are happy to breach ground rules set by DFC, and the FAI by bringing flares etc to games resulting in quite a few fines over the years. If any one of that group is a representative of the supporters club, then the credibility of the supporters club is undermined, and worse would be if a member of that group is a representative and breaches ground rules while in the role.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:11 pm

The intention of the supporters club is to be fully democratic from what I've seen so far. There was an email that went around to those that registered asking to nominate people for the board. Some were elected by vote and some were elected unopposed. I have no idea if James or Craig were asked to help or offered their services but their experience would have been very helpful.

Who knows if the supporters club will be successful but I think we need to give it a chance rather than write it off as a member of the committee has views some don't agree with. Let's see what the committee come back with for the short, medium and long term goals of the club before we deem it a failure before it has even begun.
I think we can both agree that his private actions do not reflect well on the Supporters Club nor its members. It is very clear that his comments are 100% false, by making them he indirectly supported and encouraged fellow fans to partake in illegal behavior, which may have brought fines to the club. If one of these (young) lads was to fall off the wall or injure themselves in any other way on the fencing, who would they be blaming?? Would they potentially try to make a claim against Dundalk FC / Peak6 or Dundalk Grammar School for failing to secure their property??
All in all, it seems as if the person in question has not only made a fool of himself, but he has also tarnished the image of the newly formed Supports Club and as a result has discouraged many potential members from joining.
It is all well and good setting up a supporter’s club, however if you let amateurs hold key positions, democratically elected or not, it will remain amateur. Key positions must be filled by people with a white vest, people who are not going to tarnish or effect the image of the supporter’s club in any way and most importantly, people who understand the role they have taken on. As long as this cannot be guaranteed, a large number of potential members will be refraining from joining I am afraid.

Personally, I decided to sit back and wait to see how things developed before signing up. First impressions and all that …… lets put it this way ….. one man / minority group can ruin it for everyone. At this moment in time, I will be waiting a little longer to see what the club offer when they relaunch the Patreon scheme, likewise I will be looking on with interest to see if other members come together to form their own fan clubs.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Who knows if the supporters club will be successful but I think we need to give it a chance rather than write it off as a member of the committee has views some don't agree with.
Its much more than that and you know it. A supporters club media officer is leveling false accusations at the club. Pointing fingers, not engaging. He is taking close ups of front line workers who ask him to abide by current regulations and posting them on Twitter. He wants to attend matches during a pandemic and blames the club that he is not allowed watch the game from the private property of the grammar school.

I would never want to be associated with him or allow him to speak for me as a representative of a supporters club. And that is why I and many others wont have anything to do with it.

You are saying listen to all fans while dismissing concerns of others.
So what's the solution? What would you have done differently

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:58 pm

GC. wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:14 pm A section of fans are happy to breach ground rules set by DFC, and the FAI by bringing flares etc to games resulting in quite a few fines over the years. If any one of that group is a representative of the supporters club, then the credibility of the supporters club is undermined, and worse would be if a member of that group is a representative and breaches ground rules while in the role.
I'd agree but I would also think this should be extended to ordinary members also.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:11 pm

I think we can both agree that his private actions do not reflect well on the Supporters Club nor its members. It is very clear that his comments are 100% false, by making them he indirectly supported and encouraged fellow fans to partake in illegal behavior, which may have brought fines to the club. If one of these (young) lads was to fall off the wall or injure themselves in any other way on the fencing, who would they be blaming?? Would they potentially try to make a claim against Dundalk FC / Peak6 or Dundalk Grammar School for failing to secure their property??
All in all, it seems as if the person in question has not only made a fool of himself, but he has also tarnished the image of the newly formed Supports Club and as a result has discouraged many potential members from joining.
It is all well and good setting up a supporter’s club, however if you let amateurs hold key positions, democratically elected or not, it will remain amateur. Key positions must be filled by people with a white vest, people who are not going to tarnish or effect the image of the supporter’s club in any way and most importantly, people who understand the role they have taken on. As long as this cannot be guaranteed, a large number of potential members will be refraining from joining I am afraid.

Personally, I decided to sit back and wait to see how things developed before signing up. First impressions and all that …… lets put it this way ….. one man / minority group can ruin it for everyone. At this moment in time, I will be waiting a little longer to see what the club offer when they relaunch the Patreon scheme, likewise I will be looking on with interest to see if other members come together to form their own fan clubs.
There is no members of the supporters club there is only a Facebook group. We'll all be waiting to see what the short medium and long term plans are before joining. If it's a get Bill/Peak 6 out club i won't be joining. I expect/hope there will be an olive branch from the supporters club.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:03 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:11 pm

There is no members of the supporters club there is only a Facebook group. We'll all be waiting to see what the short medium and long term plans are before joining. If it's a get Bill/Peak 6 out club i won't be joining. I expect/hope there will be an olive branch from the supporters club.
Ahh come on, signing up for something, calling itself "Dundalk FC Supporters Club", taking part in meetings and voting in people to key positions.
https://forms.clickup.com/f/29txp-2395/ ... 5LC1P0UL1U
Why would people be voting in committees if they are not members??? Sure that makes it even worse.