Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Make the forum private for registered users only

Yes
21
55%
No
17
45%
 
Total votes: 38

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm

With ever increasing numbers of 'guests' browsing the forum , is it time to make it private?

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7404
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm

No let people read away but maybe not allow them comment. The issue i have is with people threatening to out other members real identity. I know plenty of people on here but i would never reveal their real identity. They chose not to post under their real name, i chose to post under my name. Everybody made their choice so they should not be outed.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Another problem is one or two users making numerous accounts and posting the same stuff as if to show they have support for their opinions.
Is the forum even moderated any more? Was anything done about posts being screenshot and posted on Twitter for amusement and general consumption?

I’d agree with it being only opened to registered users.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm No let people read away but maybe not allow them comment.
You can't comment unless registered. But you can read everything without registering

User avatar
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by BigChief » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm

I would be In favour of Registered only users.

In total there are 64 users online :: 5 registered, 2 hidden and 57 guests

Lots of people lurking in the background

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7404
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm No let people read away but maybe not allow them comment.
You can't comment unless registered. But you can read everything without registering
So what? I have no major issues with that. What's next charging membership?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:11 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm No let people read away but maybe not allow them comment.
You can't comment unless registered. But you can read everything without registering
So what? I have no major issues with that. What's next charging membership?
Yep, 5 euro to log on, 50 euro to post.

Not sure where you're coming from..just a simple question to get people's views.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4559
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:12 pm

BigChief wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm I would be In favour of Registered only users.

In total there are 64 users online :: 5 registered, 2 hidden and 57 guests

Lots of people lurking in the background
Exactly

Bob Prole
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat May 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Bob Prole » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:02 pm Another problem is one or two users making numerous accounts and posting the same stuff as if to show they have support for their opinions.
Is the forum even moderated any more? Was anything done about posts being screenshot and posted on Twitter for amusement and general consumption?

I’d agree with it being only opened to registered users.
Yes, I deleted the tweets (and didn’t do it again despite there being bucketloads of great material from the head in the sand crowd and the Peak6 bootlickers) because I was asked nicely.

I had to register with my real email so if anyone is creating that many fake accounts with that many real email addresses just for ‘support’ then fair play to them. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:59 pm

BigChief wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm I would be In favour of Registered only users.

In total there are 64 users online :: 5 registered, 2 hidden and 57 guests

Lots of people lurking in the background
Mods can confirm I'm sure, but I suspect that web spider/crawler/bot activity is a significant part of this.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2435
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by oldfogey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:12 pm
BigChief wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm I would be In favour of Registered only users.

In total there are 64 users online :: 5 registered, 2 hidden and 57 guests

Lots of people lurking in the background
Exactly
Within an hour, 23 of the "guests" have signed off.

I agree 100%. Registered only to view or post.

User avatar
Towelie
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Towelie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:04 pm

One thing is for certain a newer member who has been getting very personal with a lot of posters needs a swift ban. Is this forum even moderated anymore?

Fundalkfan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Fundalkfan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 pm

And yet here we are, all using alias's hiding behind our keyboards. People using real names would help. I'll even go first.................

User avatar
Towelie
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Towelie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:26 pm

Fundalkfan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 pm And yet here we are, all using alias's hiding behind our keyboards. People using real names would help. I'll even go first.................
Why not just contribute as opposed to being confrontational with everyone you've encountered?

It's a forum designed for discussion and the occasional argument but whenever posters start getting personal that's where the line has to be drawn. It's out of order.

Fundalkfan
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Re: Poll - make the forum visible for registered users only?

Post by Fundalkfan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:30 pm

I have been sent from America to tell the truth, but as Frank Caralan says, Vinny and John can't handle the truth.

Post Reply