Drogheda Utd v Dundalk | League Series 34| Thu 04 November 2021 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Drogheda Utd v Dundalk | League Series 34| Thu 04 November 2021 ko 19.45

Post by oldfogey » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:45 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:39 pm Evenly matched first half between 2 midtable sides. And it shows. Who are we wearing armbands for? Disgraceful song from our fans about Jim Magilton being a child abuser... No need for that kinda stuff.
Rivas Jurkovskis dad passed away suddenly. That's why he was away.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Thought we were full value for that in the end. Very even first half, we completely dominated the second, but some very sloppy stuff in the final third.

James brown get down...the M1 to oriel. Sign him up.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:05 pm

Deserved to win that. Very clean game, especially for a derby. My MOTM was Patching.
My condolences to Raivas Jurkovskis.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 pm

We were far and away the better side 2nd half and fully deserved the victory
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Drogheda played on Monday in Donegal and are part time. so it was to be expected that Dundalk would step it up in second half.

Great energy from Sean Murray, showing the form when he was a star player with Watford.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:37 am

Well that was very derby, and I mean that in the best way! Much of the football was scrappy, but fantastic atmosphere, great result, beautifully ugly goal to win it at the death. Add in the keeper juggling one onto the bar, two thumping headers ruled out, the warm welcome for Massey, there was even some glorious trolling from the Drogs lads. Proper derby football in a proper shithole of a proper old school ground.

Scrappy enough first half which we edged, then we completely bossed the second half. We need a bit of luck but surely it's not beyond us to win our last two and make Derry get min 4 points from their two other games and make Bohs need 6 from 9.

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:50 am

Unfortunately seand Oriel Park is the biggest shithole ground in Ireland at least the away fans have cover from bad weather wont even start on toilets.

Bob Prole
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:10 am

They’ve played for four different managers, their medical team has all resigned, the pitch is awful, their futures are up in the air and still these players might qualify for Europe. And we could be letting most of them walk away. It’s amazing.

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Daviddrog » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:22 am

seand wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:37 am Well that was very derby, and I mean that in the best way! Much of the football was scrappy, but fantastic atmosphere, great result, beautifully ugly goal to win it at the death. Add in the keeper juggling one onto the bar, two thumping headers ruled out, the warm welcome for Massey, there was even some glorious trolling from the Drogs lads. Proper derby football in a proper shithole of a proper old school ground.
Very well said - add in the tears and heartache at the end. My kids were still sick over the result going into school today after their first derby

Full time team was always going to win this one unfortunately

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:52 am

Bob Prole wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:10 am They’ve played for four different managers, their medical team has all resigned, the pitch is awful, their futures are up in the air and still these players might qualify for Europe. And we could be letting most of them walk away. It’s amazing.
Bonkers stuff altogether.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Last night was great. Cracking derby atmosphere and a well-deserved win in the end. Great scenes when the goal went in and again at the final whistle.

With our home form so good, I'm confident we can finish on 51 points now, which could make things very interesting.

Some people thought I was mad before the Pat's game when I said a win would mean a chance of Europe. Yet we lost and we've still a chance! If only we'd managed just a draw in that game, we'd have a great chance of finishing 4th now and then all be cheering on Skip and Robbie at the Aviva.

The point that Bohs and Derry dug out on Monday/Tuesday might yet turn out to be the difference (2 wins out of 3 for Bohs now and we're toast)... but I think it'll go to the final game of the season at least. Will be some craic against Derry at Oriel if so!

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Dundalk Wolf wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:30 pm Last night was great. Cracking derby atmosphere and a well-deserved win in the end. Great scenes when the goal went in and again at the final whistle.

With our home form so good, I'm confident we can finish on 51 points now, which could make things very interesting.

Some people thought I was mad before the Pat's game when I said a win would mean a chance of Europe. Yet we lost and we've still a chance! If only we'd managed just a draw in that game, we'd have a great chance of finishing 4th now and then all be cheering on Skip and Robbie at the Aviva.

The point that Bohs and Derry dug out on Monday/Tuesday might yet turn out to be the difference (2 wins out of 3 for Bohs now and we're toast)... but I think it'll go to the final game of the season at least. Will be some craic against Derry at Oriel if so!
Yea but 2 of the Bohs games are rovers and then Sligo away and the drogs won’t be easy now. Exciting end to season with nearly all games mattering.
We just have to make sure we don’t slip up against Longford. It’s a real pity it’s been changed from the Friday night in Oriel

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Dundalk Wolf wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:30 pm Last night was great. Cracking derby atmosphere and a well-deserved win in the end. Great scenes when the goal went in and again at the final whistle.

I'd be inclined to give Bohs 3 points at home to Drogheda on Sunday. Playing Rovers minus 3 u21s is a tall ask, especially with Bradley angry about not getting the recognition he thinks they deserve. That leaves Bohs away to Sligo on the last day. If Sligo lose to Pats tonight, 3rd remains a battle for them instead of a gimme. I think Bohs might struggle for more than a point there.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:04 pm Yea but 2 of the Bohs games are rovers and then Sligo away and the drogs won’t be easy now. Exciting end to season with nearly all games mattering.
We just have to make sure we don’t slip up against Longford. It’s a real pity it’s been changed from the Friday night in Oriel
V true. We could really do with Pat's beating Sligo tonight, so that Sligo are still chasing 3rd when they play Derry next weekend at least.

As you say, we obvs need to beat Longford* (for the first time this season - nuts) but if we do that, then we need both Derry and Bohs just to drop points in one of their next two games (Derry vs Harps/Sligo and Bohs vs Drogs/Rovers) to take us into the final day.

Current 3rd-6th all playing each other on the final day, with Bohs at Sligo whilst Derry come to Oriel. Could be a cracking finale!

*A win by a few goals could also be very important here. If Derry take 4 pts from Harps & Sligo and we beat Longford we go into the final day 3 points back. Currently 7 goals worse off in terms of GD (i.e. a 4-goal win) so any dent in that before the final day could be massive. Picture will be a bit clearer after tonight.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:44 pm

oldfogey wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:09 pm I'd be inclined to give Bohs 3 points at home to Drogheda on Sunday. Playing Rovers minus 3 u21s is a tall ask, especially with Bradley angry about not getting the recognition he thinks they deserve. That leaves Bohs away to Sligo on the last day. If Sligo lose to Pats tonight, 3rd remains a battle for them instead of a gimme. I think Bohs might struggle for more than a point there.
I agree re Bohs vs Drogheda, who tired last night. Would be a big bonus if they take a point from Dalymount.

Agree also re Rovers, who'll want to make a point and Bohs have the U21s out as you say.

That final day scenario could be fascinating, particularly if Sligo are still fighting for 3rd. A Pat's win tonight will be a big help. RTE and LOI TV on at the same time tonight in this house! :)