Dundalk v Derry City | League Series 36 | Fri 19 November 2021 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v Derry City | League Series 36 | Fri 19 November 2021 ko 19.45

Post by oldfogey » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:34 pm

I was tempted to wait until after this Friday's series of games, but I am sure there are plenty of people who want to post their "ifs buts and maybes".

Here's my tuppence worth.

Bohemians: a win v Rovers on Friday sees them clinch 4th place bar a 15 goal swing in GD between us and them on the last night. A draw or a loss leaves them still needing a win at Sligo on the last night to be sure.

Derry City: A win for them at Sligo will still leave them catchable but will increase the GD delta (currently +5). We would need to win by half the GD on the last night in order to pass them. A draw, or a loss of up to 5-0, still leaves us needing to beat them on the last night. They could, of course, still be in with a shout of 4th themselves, if Bohs don't win on Friday.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk v Derry City | League Series 36 | Fri 19 November 2021 ko 19.45

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Good summary OF. I'm going to add my 2p worth, as what is football about if it's not about dreaming...

Whilst I concede that European football is only a very faint possibility, I expect the Derry game will at least mean something... and could get very interesting.

Rovers' low point this season was probably getting dumped out the cup at Dalymount in August, just days after being dumped out of Europe. They also lost there in the league in June so, even though the title is in the bag, I reckon they'll want to prove a point against their big rivals and a club that have arguably got more love from the media than them this season (despite the fact they've won f all).

So let's hold our nose and hope for a Rovers draw at least. If that happens, we'll have something to play for vs Derry and can head to Oriel with some hope.

How much hope could depend largely on Sligo and whether they turn up at the Brandywell on Friday. The downside is they're guaranteed Europe now so could be on the proverbial beach already. On the plus side, they could still catch Pat's for 2nd place, which would make a decent season for them look even better.

What's more, after a stinking run fit for relegation (8 points from 11 games), they've actually found some form, taking 10 points from the last 4 matches, so could still give Derry a good game.

If Derry beat Sligo 1-0, we'll need to beat them by 3 to be dead level (on goal difference and goals scored) but I think would overtake them thanks to a better head-to-head record.

If they beat Sligo by any other score up to a 3-goal win, we'd need to win by 4. Unlikely but 'early goal and who knows' territory.

So unless Bohs beat Rovers this weekend, or Derry wallop Sligo, then we can head to Oriel next Friday with the dream somehow still alive on the final day after such a disastrous season.

And if we get to that place, then who knows. Bohs will be at the Showgrounds knowing they need to win and feeling a bit of pressure. An early goal at Oriel in front of a raucous Shed and anything could happen.

So that's my 2p worth. Happy to live in hope for 48 hours at least... but as they say, it's the hope that kills you.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:42 pm

It would appear that Sloggett and Patching are both suspended for next Friday. Possibly explains why Vinnie was so hacked off about the Drogheda game being brought forward as the suspensions (confirmed yesterday) are for the next club game. McEleney definitely won't make it, and Brian Gartland is unlikley to be ready. So the question is not just about starting eleven, but formation.

* Raivis at RB with Dummigan at #6 is relatively straight forward.
* McMillan at #10 is the same, but not if he goes 4-4-2. That also leaves us with no striker on the bench if we are chasing the game or either one gets injured
* Duffy at #10, swap Kelly and bring in Ben Amar on the right wing. Risky, as Duffy is much better than Kelly at defending. He also has a good rapport with Leahy.

At least VP has plenty of time to work out what he wants to do. I expect Animahasun will have more than a bit part to play in the game.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Murray, Stanton and Dummigan in midfield for me. With Leahy and Jurkovskis full backs. The rest of the team pretty much picks itself.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Rapier
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Rapier » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:08 pm

really disappointed with duffy not getting a run tonight. pretty poor way to treat a club legend and reflects poorly on vinny perth if duffy himself didn't request not to play. i highly doubt duffy would do that either, given the level of professionalism and class he has represented this club with from day 1.

don't let the door hit you on the way out vinny. for all the talk about dundalk being bigger than individuals, your own actions tonight spoke louder than words.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:10 pm

Rapier wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:08 pm really disappointed with duffy not getting a run tonight. pretty poor way to treat a club legend and reflects poorly on vinny perth if duffy himself didn't request not to play. i highly doubt duffy would do that either, given the level of professionalism and class he has represented this club with from day 1.

don't let the door hit you on the way out vinny. for all the talk about dundalk being bigger than individuals, your own actions tonight spoke louder than words.
Who knows what happened. If duffy asked not to start as per the rumours then vinny was 100% correct not to play him at all. If vinny just decided not to play him then it was unacceptable. Somewhere between these polar opposites lies the truth. Thought we deserved a draw over the course of the game.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Rapier
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Rapier » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:20 pm

michael duffy's entire career with us and his commitment throughout leaves me highly sceptical that he asks not to start. i'd be genuinely amazed if that was the case.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Some horseshit written over the last week about this game being ‘ a party atmosphere’.
The place was completely flat and the worst it’s been since the return of fans. Maybe that’s because we had nothing to play for but it was dreadful.
Of course it wasn’t helped by the PA. Give me hope Johanna and the Sound of Music ffs. Subtle as brick on the back of the head and then congratulating Derry for getting Europe!! Mother of God.
What was with the old guard, Kenny, Gary Rogers and Shields being there? Everybody out for pints tonight for the last hurrah?? Just added to the depression…
Oh and Derry are lucky bastards. Peno not given and we should have had 2 more before Murray scored. Don’t know how they scored 2.
A bad end to a dreadful season..

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:36 pm

That had a real end of an era vibe to it.

Given the unbalanced midfield, we were pretty good apart for 10 minutes at the start of the second half.

Next season will be tough. Rebuilding will not be easy, but it would be a lot worse if Peak 6 or other chances were the owners.

brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by brodser » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:55 pm

Dickie was absolutely awful when he came on. Would have been better to leave Sami on. Very damp squib feeling at the end. Disappointing that Duffy didn't come on in injury time at least. This club has been very good to him and his family and the fans deserved to give him a send off. Whether it was his decision or Vinnys it was poor form. I also hear that Vinny is gone which isn't surprising the way he slinked off after the game. Definitely the end of an era.

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 pm Some horseshit written over the last week about this game being ‘ a party atmosphere’.
The place was completely flat and the worst it’s been since the return of fans. Maybe that’s because we had nothing to play for but it was dreadful.
Of course it wasn’t helped by the PA. Give me hope Johanna and the Sound of Music ffs. Subtle as brick on the back of the head and then congratulating Derry for getting Europe!! Mother of God.
What was with the old guard, Kenny, Gary Rogers and Shields being there? Everybody out for pints tonight for the last hurrah?? Just added to the depression…
Oh and Derry are lucky bastards. Peno not given and we should have had 2 more before Murray scored. Don’t know how they scored 2.
I know we have more important issues ,,but the PA,my god he is shocking ,

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 am

Alanek wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 pm Some horseshit written over the last week about this game being ‘ a party atmosphere’.
Ah look he is a nice guy and a good supporter and I usually think he does a good job. I just think he got caught up in the so-called ‘ party atmosphere’ of having new owners, when in reality getting beat by a club who are taking 3 of our best players and then congratulating them is anything but a celebration. His choice of music wound me up no end!!

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 am
Ah look he is a nice guy and a good supporter and I usually think he does a good job. I just think he got caught up in the so-called ‘ party atmosphere’ of having new owners, when in reality getting beat by a club who are taking 3 of our best players and then congratulating them is anything but a celebration. His choice of music wound me up no end!!
Joe Dolan 😂😂😂😂😂.can’t cope

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:49 am

Alanek wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 am
Joe Dolan 😂😂😂😂😂.can’t cope
Yea and that ‘Good bye Auf Wiedersehen’ song from the Song of Music had me shoulder charging people to get of OP 🤣

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Very disappointed that Duffy didn't get a run out for the fans to give him a proper send off. I'm also disappointed that Perth didn't come over to the fans too. If it is his last game he also deserved a send off and for fans to show our appreciation.

Felt a bit bittersweet last night, sad that it's the end of an era but excitement about the next era, if StatSports lads get the bug, their input could eclipse what Peak6 could have offered and not just financially.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020