Dundalk v Derry City | League Series 36 | Fri 19 November 2021 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Derry City | League Series 36 | Fri 19 November 2021 ko 19.45

Post by Pepsi » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:10 pm Very disappointed that Duffy didn't get a run out for the fans to give him a proper send off. I'm also disappointed that Perth didn't come over to the fans too. If it is his last game he also deserved a send off and for fans to show our appreciation.

Felt a bit bittersweet last night, sad that it's the end of an era but excitement about the next era, if StatSports lads get the bug, their input could eclipse what Peak6 could have offered and not just financially.
Duffy is an odd one, a lot of rumours around last night from ... he asked not to / refused to play, was carrying a knock and during half time it got worse ..... hope it was the latter.
Perth .... if Vinny is being let go, you would have to assume he is hurting, which most can understand. I was against his return, but by god he did a good job and brought a little stability and balance to the team.
StatSports ..... their connections etc. could make it an interesting ownership period. Imagine what Rovers and co must be thinking .... Dundalks owners have access to all their GPS stats ;) Knowing the owners as I do, I doubt they will do anything silly, however they will reinvest anything which is earned. The question is how long they feel they can finance it / do they want to finance things until European money comes back in and books are balanced. Or will it be a case of living within our means .... time will tell, I just hope some lads are not calling for change at the first sign of a wobble. It will take time to get a squad together and to get back to levels expected. One thing that would interest me is, what are the ownership percentages? Do StatSports have the majority, is it 50-50 with Andy or do StatSports own it outright and Andy is their as an advisor?
As long as Rovers are acting as a feeder club for Celtic and Desmond is balancing their books by paying over the top fees and Derry have a bottomless pit, it will be very difficult for Dundalk to play in the same financial league as them. Both clubs must have been cracking open the bottles when the news broke that Peak6 were gone .... as money was not an issue for them.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:16 pm

Pepsi wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:33 pm Both clubs must have been cracking open the bottles when the news broke that Peak6 were gone .... as money was not an issue for them.
Why would rivals be celebrating a move that improves our fortunes? Unless they care about the overall perception of the league or about Dundalk FC itself, then there is no reason that they'd be celebrating after the departure of the group that has turned the best club in the country into a shadow of its former self.

Our fortunes have nosedived in the last 18 months under Peak6. It's been a car crash. Them leaving makes us stronger. It might take a long time to turn things around, but we were only going in one direction with them in charge, and it wasn't challenging at the top of the table.

You can see that right? Or are you still batting for them?

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Yes Derry must be delighted Dundalk can't give huge signing on fees to players like Wilfied Zahibo, as that was of great concern to them.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:53 pm

we had owners who put incompetent people in charge - they were willing to make an ongoing annual deficit and fund from their billions , they were wasteful , and dragged the soul out of the club with incompetent management decisions

we now have highly competent owners , with a real personal stake in success , who may not be willing to make an operational loss - and
have different ambitions ( at least In the short term )

personally I'd have preferred a reformed ( ie competent) p6 arrangement that could take a derry/rovers approach, and be willing to make large calculated losses - but the way it has played out - is on balance probably better for everyone
(Thankfully we don't have the bottom feeders who were sniffing around the purchase ).

But to the point ... Yes I think rovers etc will be glad we don't have the huge financial backing we had this time last month , the game has moved on and finance paramount , so it's a valid point pepsi makes ....

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:19 pm

It would have been valid when Peak 6 were at the beginning.. Dundalk signed Slogget from Derry. Now they are on the upper hand,and regardless if Peak 6 were staying or going , Patching etc were going.

Bohemians are part time but build a good squad every year with limited finance. Maybe if they go full time they might get closer in league.