Latest news page... - Some interesting stories going on...

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Dan McD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan McD » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:32 am

Just wondering what everyone thinks of Anderson fining the players??

And the Darcy incident sounds like a bit of a mess...surely Murray must have known his problems when he signed him?

Dan

Simon B
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Simon B » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:45 am

I think Anderson was right to fine them. Really, if the players cannot be bothered to at least pretend to have a professional attitude then they must be made to realise that there actions will have consequences outside of getting a bit of stick from the shed.
As for the Ross Darcy situation, again it is a case of all of the power being handed to the players and their representatives. I think it would be fair to assume that, whatever you do for a living, if you took a job that you were unable to do then you would not be much use to your employers and it would be well within their rights to get rid of you. This does not seem to be the case with players and to make it worse, if true, he knew about his inability to do the job he was being employed for. Although in saying that, surely the club should have given him a thorough medical before signing? Would seem like the clever thing to have done with a player with an injury record like his.
All in all I think both events show a lack of foresight and ambition from certain sections of the club.

arafat
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by arafat » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:07 am

if its true, anderson was dead right about fine them. they cant be arsed to play on the pitch, then they shouldnt be lording it up in and around games like their fucking maradona or something.

in fact, he should make good on his threat to ditch "household" names, specially those who were particuarly late.

minibuddy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by minibuddy » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:13 pm

Anderson was completely right to fine the players. They were in cork to play a match not to go out on the piss. Im glad to see that anderson isnt afraid to show the players who is boss, something that i think murray was not doing.
i think the players got away with too much under murray.

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain
Location: Inside a diamond encrusted helicopter gunship that runs on panda blood.

Post by Burbank White » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:37 pm

And I hope he remembers the who and what's and culls the dead wood. These players are only dragging the club down. Until the club in upper management, and the players act professional at all times we will have a much harder go than needed.
Let me illuminate to you the precarious situation in which you have found yourself.
I am the one they call in when things go wrong.
And things have indeed gone wrong.

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Colin Gallagher » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:50 pm

I'm with Anderson on this. Regarding the Darcy situation, have we not learned anything from the Nesovic affair??

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:07 pm

One word - Nesovic

My contempt for Martin Murray's mishandling of the club is bordering on outright hatred.

But the players "respected" him! :angry:

dundalk formal
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dundalk formal » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:36 am

Can someone please let me know what the story is here? I can't get onto Oriel Web in work anymore, but found a way of getting to the messageboard. So, I'm unable to read the news section. From what I can male out the players went on the piss. Is this right? And what's the story with Darcy? ???
There's only ONE Dundalk Formal!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:10 am

Can I just say.. quality avatar, Dundalk Formal!!

Dan McD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dan McD » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:52 am

Here it is for you df,

---- 16th December
Dundalk face this Thursday's match with Kildare badly in need of a win, with Trevor Anderson looking for his first home win as Dundalk manager. After a calamitous defeat in Athlone, the squad badly need a confidence boosting win to ensure that interest remains until the end of the season, with the club no doubt needing the revenue from home games against the likes of Waterford United and Galway United.

Meanwhile, Oriel Web has learned that the whole first team squad was fined after breaking curfew on the recent away trip to Cobh. While two players, believed to be Paul Curran and Andrew Duffy, only received a 20 euro fine for being 20 minutes late, the rest of the squad were fined 100 euro each for returning home hours after the designated time. Allegedly, one particularly inebriated member of the squad was looking to fight Trevor Anderson while another angered the new manager with a comment about where the team bus stopped to drop him off on the way home.

Strict disclipinarian Anderson will no doubt keep such incidences in mind when deciding whether to retain players when their contracts expire at the end of the current season.

In another setback for the club, a dispute with defender Ross Darcy is going to cost the club a sum of money after a dispute involving the PFAI. The club were angered by Darcy's signing of a contract when he failed to disclose an injury he was carrying, and subsequently Darcy was not paid for four weeks. Fran Gavin of the PFAI became aware of the situation, and Dundalk lost a case on the matter which will lead to the club having to pay out a sum of money. One can only presume that former Spurs defender Darcy will not be lining out for the Lilywhites again.

Striker Mick O'Byrne seems unlikely to return either, after taking umbrage to a comment about his fitness. After almost 18 months on the sidelines, O'Byrne finally lined out in a recent under 21 game but was told that he would only be considered for first team action after several more games at that level. O'Byrne is believed to have taken issue with the comment, and disappeared since that occasion.

With all this strife going on at the moment, it comes as no surprise to hear whispers that the club are implementing a plan handed to them by Charlton Athletic which would involve restructuring the club from the bottom, and seeking alternative methods to improve finances. Charlton are viewed as a financial success story, and their ideas come highly recommended but in the short term context it is believed that another season in Division One will benefit the process.

Which makes you wonder just how important a result really is against Kildare County this Thursday.
Dan

dundalk formal
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dundalk formal » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:51 pm

Thanks Dan. That's a worrying story about Cobh. You would think that a player trying to fight with their manager would be have their contract cancelled, and justifiably so.
There's only ONE Dundalk Formal!

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain
Location: Inside a diamond encrusted helicopter gunship that runs on panda blood.

Post by Burbank White » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:25 pm

exactly he should have been shown the door straight off. Probably lucky that Scottie wasn't the manager or he'd got more than he bargined for.
Let me illuminate to you the precarious situation in which you have found yourself.
I am the one they call in when things go wrong.
And things have indeed gone wrong.

Pete
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pete » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:14 pm

it looks like dundalk are finally trying to iontroduce a strict professional ethic on the players. and if they're not up to it, goodbye. it's about time this happened and is probably why the players friend ollie ralph never got the job.
maybe thier 2 wins under ollie was because they knew the easy life was up if a new manager came in.