Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby Kezz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 pm

A question for you guys. Some of you might have seen the poor challenge on Seani Maguire by Patrick McClean in a friendly game over the weekend. It was followed by a bit of gloating by McClean and his International brother. Add Shane Duffy to that.

When the picture of Seani being cut down was posted on social media(Twitter) your official Dundalk FC account liked the post. Do you see this as bad form?

Also Ciaran O'Connor(on loan with Harps) clicked like.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Kezz wrote:A question for you guys. Some of you might have seen the poor challenge on Seani Maguire by Patrick McClean in a friendly game over the weekend. It was followed by a bit of gloating by McClean and his International brother. Add Shane Duffy to that.

When the picture of Seani being cut down was posted on social media(Twitter) your official Dundalk FC account liked the post. Do you see this as bad form?

While I have not seen the post & picture in question, it seems to me that it may have been better if the club account did not get involved in any way
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Aww thats just awful. Almost worse than the tackle itself. 10 week ban from all social media for Dundalk FC!

Too much time on your hands Kezz

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Kezz wrote:A question for you guys. Some of you might have seen the poor challenge on Seani Maguire by Patrick McClean in a friendly game over the weekend. It was followed by a bit of gloating by McClean and his International brother. Add Shane Duffy to that.

yeah cos the cork official account hasn't tweeted anything they shouldn't have kezz? then again that one came back to bite them in the ass didn't it! and we won't mention McNulty's words of wisdom either shall we?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Bad challenge,but that's part of football don't think McClean went in to do him but I do hope Maguire is OK don't think he broke anything he'll be back before the season starts.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Maguire getting the fake injury practice in I see.

As for the actual tackle...it was mistimed but I don't really think it was intentional. Just a mistimed tackle that happens a lot preseason.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Good job there was no social media at the time of Richie Purdy's x-rated tackle on Mark Rutherford one preseason...ouch!!

Bungalow
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bungalow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:52 pm

If social media was about when mr keely played for any of us that seen him play he would have spent more time in jail for some of his tackles but he always got the ball

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 pm

John Flanagan signs for Bluebell

Andy Noonan has brought in John Flanagan for the remainder of the season. Flanagan signed for Dundalk as far back as 1999 and played 200 games for the club before retiring at the tender age of 30 in 2008.

The defender, who won a First Division title in 2001 and an FAI Cup, comes out of retirement to join the title chasers.

http://thejuniorsoccerportal.info/blueb ... s-dundalk/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 am

39 is never past it to play football :p

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:

yeah cos the cork official account hasn't tweeted anything they shouldn't have kezz? then again that one came back to bite them in the ass didn't it! and we won't mention McNulty's words of wisdom either shall we?

Hold up a bit. If there was ever a bit of messing going on on social media between our clubs i'm sure it was fairly lighthearted stuff. We are talking about the career of a pro-footballer here.

Let's put the player's name aside for the moment. We had a friendly game where one player made a very poor challenge on another player. It was a potential career damaging tackle. This could happen in any game to any of our players. The follow up to this was the player that made the tackle started gloating on social media about it. Add his brother(Irish International) and another Irish International(Duffy) who also made fun of this tackle. What if it was a Dundalk player?

If it was a Dundalk player and Cork City "liked" some picture of the player being injured i and i'd imagine many more would be asking who was responsible. A bit of banter is no harm but this goes beyond that.

Looking forward to the season anyway guys. You have strenghtened well, as have we. Looks like there will be one or two more sides stronger also which will be good for the league. Presidents cup final will be a good taster for the season.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Why not contact the club with your complaints as I don't think anyone here has any authority over the clubs twitter account. In all honesty since issue is with DFC, you should moan to them instead.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Kezz wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:

Hold up a bit. If there was ever a bit of messing going on on social media between our clubs i'm sure it was fairly lighthearted stuff. We are talking about the career of a pro-footballer here.

Let's put the player's name aside for the moment. We had a friendly game where one player made a very poor challenge on another player. It was a potential career damaging tackle. This could happen in any game to any of our players. The follow up to this was the player that made the tackle started gloating on social media about it. Add his brother(Irish International) and another Irish International(Duffy) who also made fun of this tackle. What if it was a Dundalk player?

If it was a Dundalk player and Cork City "liked" some picture of the player being injured i and i'd imagine many more would be asking who was responsible. A bit of banter is no harm but this goes beyond that.

Looking forward to the season anyway guys. You have strenghtened well, as have we. Looks like there will be one or two more sides stronger also which will be good for the league. Presidents cup final will be a good taster for the season.

You are right Kezz, it was a bad tackle that injured a star player in the pre-season, if it happened to any Dundalk player I'm sure there would be a forum on here with people going mad about it especially with it being so publicized on social media, as is the habit these days. But I don't really know what you expect from fans of other clubs? Of course a lot of fans of other clubs found it funny, because it didn't happen to one of their players, if you were a Man City fan you wouldn't have found Keano's tackle on Haaland very funny but it is still widely circulated on social media despite it having happened 16 years ago.

I understand that the official Dundalk FC Twitter liking the photo was ill advised and I wouldn't approve of that kind of behaviour from official club media profiles but, as you well know, that account isn't exactly run by a PR expert, it is run by someone who, presumably, has been a Dundalk FC fan for a long time. Personally, I didn't like the photo because it is clearly a bad tackle but if we all came out and said "I am disgusted by that awful tackle on poor Seanie Maguire, I hope he is ok and recovers to have a great season with Cork, sure I hope they win the league too, it's their turn really" then we might as well disband the league and go home and watch Fair city. I love football because of the banter (horrible word but it will have to do) that fans have, the rivalry, the comradery and everything else that goes with it.

I look forward to this season with relish, especially the games against Cork because they are generally a show of the best the league has to offer and when those games come around I hate Cork and everyone from Cork but after the match I'll have a pint with any man that's thirsty. So bring it on again this year lads because I can't wait to bate you langer b******s for the 4 in a row, nothing personal Kezz, it's just football <3
Mon the Town!

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robml88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:50 pm

"It was just banter"

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:32 pm

ArFella wrote:
Kezz wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:

You are right Kezz, it was a bad tackle that injured a star player in the pre-season, if it happened to any Dundalk player I'm sure there would be a forum on here with people going mad about it especially with it being so publicized on social media, as is the habit these days. But I don't really know what you expect from fans of other clubs? Of course a lot of fans of other clubs found it funny, because it didn't happen to one of their players, if you were a Man City fan you wouldn't have found Keano's tackle on Haaland very funny but it is still widely circulated on social media despite it having happened 16 years ago.

I understand that the official Dundalk FC Twitter liking the photo was ill advised and I wouldn't approve of that kind of behaviour from official club media profiles but, as you well know, that account isn't exactly run by a PR expert, it is run by someone who, presumably, has been a Dundalk FC fan for a long time. Personally, I didn't like the photo because it is clearly a bad tackle but if we all came out and said "I am disgusted by that awful tackle on poor Seanie Maguire, I hope he is ok and recovers to have a great season with Cork, sure I hope they win the league too, it's their turn really" then we might as well disband the league and go home and watch Fair city. I love football because of the banter (horrible word but it will have to do) that fans have, the rivalry, the comradery and everything else that goes with it.

I look forward to this season with relish, especially the games against Cork because they are generally a show of the best the league has to offer and when those games come around I hate Cork and everyone from Cork but after the match I'll have a pint with any man that's thirsty. So bring it on again this year lads because I can't wait to bate you langer b******s for the 4 in a row, nothing personal Kezz, it's just football <3

The feeling is mutual.

I decided to take in a night in your town after the 2-1 defeat towards the end of the season. A good night was had. Good people around and despite some thinking Dundalk people are alien-esque from a rundown town i thought yourselves and the town was very nice. I look forward to my return this season.

Even though you have spent well and brought in some excellent players, i think you will miss the quality of Horgan. Boyle will be missed too but Horgan is a match winner. He can swing a game out of nothing and if things get tight at the top he will be missed. You will be favorites again though and rightly so. I hope we can pip you this time around. Should be fun.

Return to “General Discussion”