Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby seand » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Thing about Towell is that Hughton clearly rated him, to some degree at least. He wouldn't let Richie go on loan in January. The problem for Towell then is that he's played feck all football to put himself in the shop window for a move to, say, a decent Championship side. Regular football in maybe League One would do him no harm.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

But at the end of the day Sean, Hughton not having paid a cent for him, also clearly saw him as an insurance policy, we'll need you if we have to scenario.

I'm just not so sure there will be a queue of clubs now looking for him over there, he has a great attitude though, and is still quite young, he might get another chance. Must be very frustrating for him though.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:56 pm

mike wrote:I think Towell's contract is up on 30 June, almost sure he signed an 18 month deal from Jan 2016.

His Brighton contract expires in 2018

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ ... 26588.aspx
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm

I didn't realise that ezeikial. That's a great deal for him.

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

I see another ex Dundalk player Anton Reilly scored today as warrrenpoint won the first Division ,by all accounts he has progressed well and has settled well I'm told.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Richie Towell set for loan move to Championship club

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/05 ... ship-club/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 am

I dont really get this. If he hasnt been considered good enough to get in to the side that got promoted and before the start of B&HA's first season in the premier league his manager has already said that he is going on loan to the Championship, a division that he didnt get a look in when Brighton were in that division!? What is Hughton's thinking after Towell has had a season and a half at the club. There are snide type comments that he will be available when they get relegated next season and all that. He is good enough or he isnt, he is a grafter in that he will bust himself to prove his worth so attitude isnt an issue. Before even the play-offs are finished though. Maybe he will be a Sheffield Wednesday which will go down well with one former Orielweb regular after missing out on penos tonight.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

Towell has lost over a year and a half of football and never made a lge appearance in his time there and from that point of view it's been a disaster but not financially he'll Double his current wages because Brighton got promotion even if he goes to a championship side on loan,its the right move because he needs to prove at point that he can play at that level only time will tell.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 am

I think he got 20 mins in the play off semi final last season, but I think he only started two games, both FA Cup early rounds, 2016 and 2017.

He won't be alone in Brighton players not following the club to the PL, its quite common for promoted clubs to invest in new players, maybe Bournemouth were an exception.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

dell wrote:I dont really get this. If he hasnt been considered good enough to get in to the side that got promoted and before the start of B&HA's first season in the premier league his manager has already said that he is going on loan to the Championship, a division that he didnt get a look in when Brighton were in that division!? What is Hughton's thinking after Towell has had a season and a half at the club. There are snide type comments that he will be available when they get relegated next season and all that. He is good enough or he isnt, he is a grafter in that he will bust himself to prove his worth so attitude isnt an issue. Before even the play-offs are finished though. Maybe he will be a Sheffield Wednesday which will go down well with one former Orielweb regular after missing out on penos tonight.

It strikes me as a very obvious and sensible move by Chris Hughton.

For a variety of reasons (injuries and Brighton's good form) RT has not managed to get a run in the team in the Championship. He obviously needs to be playing regularly at a decent level if he stands any prospect of breaking into the Brighton team in the Premier. Finding form, displaying his worth and building belief is far more likely to happen by playing regularly on loan in the Championship than in a Brighton reserve or u-21 team.

If his form demands it, Brighton have the possibility of recalling a fit and confident player to their first team squad.

The same advantages apply from RT's perspective, with the added dimension that even if a recall to Brighton squad does not materialise, he is far more likely to find a club at a decent level for the 2018 season by playing regularly in the Championship in the season ahead.

The bottom line is that he needs competitive game time at a decent level

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby rummy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

Contract extension for Towell, and will be on loan in Championship next year

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 am

Delighted for Richie.

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Sat May 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Looks promising for him

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Ex loanee Shaun Williams secured promotion to the Championship with Millwall in the playoff final at wembley today.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

scoops
Reserves
Reserves

Postby scoops » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

Very random and obscure one but maybe some of you remember a goalkeeper who came here on trial under Sean McCaffrey - Jan Zolna??

I manage a team in the Slovak 6th Division and we went to play a village team called Cataj at the weekend. When the team sheet came in I thought I recognised the goalkeeper's name. Sure enough the 8 stone overweight goalkeeper for the opposing team was the game guy who spent a few weeks on trial at Dundalk under McCaffrey.

Return to “General Discussion”