Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm

northender wrote:Horgan's not up to it and isn't fancied by Alex Neil. He just runs around like a headless chicken into blind allies and has little technical ability.

Boyle is not a Championship standard athlete and again, is not fancied by AN. Looked awful when he had to play when we had a defensive injury crisis.

Kevin O'Connor is also way out of his depth.

Maguire is class though.

Horgan and Boyle showed plenty of ability, technical and otherwise in the Europa League group stages. Watch a few championship games now and again, technical ability is not often evident. Its old fashioned kick and rush English football.
Maybe the demands of playing at a club like Preston, that were good in the pre-war era, is too much for them. Or maybe Alex Neill is the one out of his depth, and doesn't know how best to use them.

northender
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby northender » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:52 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
northender wrote:Horgan's not up to it and isn't fancied by Alex Neil. He just runs around like a headless chicken into blind allies and has little technical ability.

Boyle is not a Championship standard athlete and again, is not fancied by AN. Looked awful when he had to play when we had a defensive injury crisis.

Maguire is class though.

Horgan and Boyle showed plenty of ability, technical and otherwise in the Europa League group stages. Watch a few championship games now and again, technical ability is not often evident. Its old fashioned kick and rush English football.
Maybe the demands of playing at a club like Preston, that were good in the pre-war era, is too much for them. Or maybe Alex Neill is the one out of his depth, and doesn't know how best to use them.

He's 36 and already has a promotion to the Premier League, along with his promotion with Hamilton, on his CV.

He has us just outside the play-offs with just 1 signing of his own.

He knows what it takes to get out of this league and clearly, and rightfully so IMO, believes Horgan and Boyle aren't the calibre of player to do it.

They'll both be back at Dundalk soon.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm

northender wrote:He has us just outside the play-offs with just 1 signing of his own.

9th,
Dizzying heights, I think we can all agree.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:18 pm

northender wrote:
They'll both be back at Dundalk soon.

That would be brilliant.

It seems that the Championship is at a higher level than the Europa League group stage opponents if we take northender at face value. This is clearly not the case
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm

I think at that level (championship) which is a lot better than a host of european premier leagues, any player coming into it from a league like ours has got to be giving consistently good performances.

For a guy like Horgan the expectation would be to be scoring at least once a month or min having to be contributing to numerous assists. I wouldn’t rule him out yet but it would appear he has a huge amount of work to do to get back into contention.

Andy Boyle seems to have been almost forgotten about, he did start a few league games in a row, possibly October and I think PNE lost by 2 or 3 ?

Maguire does appear to be the one who will hit the ground running and will make it. I haven’t seen / read enough about O’Connor (the millionaire) to make a judgement.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm

mike wrote:I think at that level (championship) which is a lot better than a host of european premier leagues, any player coming into it from a league like ours has got to be giving consistently good performances.

What other European Premier leagues and how do you make the comparison without direct competition.
In my opinion English football is overhyped at all levels.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 pm

I certainly wouldn’t consider the PL in England to be the best in the world, it’s not even the best in Europe, I’d rate Spanish league higher, and that’s backed up by the past 5 years euro performances between both countries. The PL is the best paid though for wages.

Comparing the championship in England, I think I read before it is in the top ten in terms of leagues across Europe and I’d go with that, it’s probably better top divisions in likes of Switzerland, Poland, Croatia, Austria etc. The clubs from the championship will never make Europe though unless they win the fa cup so they’ll never get tested on the international stage, that kind of reduces the argument a little, but there are plenty of quality sides and big clubs there, for sure.

northender
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby northender » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
northender wrote:He has us just outside the play-offs with just 1 signing of his own.

9th,
Dizzying heights, I think we can all agree.

For a club with a bottom 3 budget at this level, it is.

northender
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby northender » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm

mike wrote:Maguire does appear to be the one who will hit the ground running and will make it. I haven’t seen / read enough about O’Connor (the millionaire) to make a judgement.

O'Connor has been dreadful when called upon (rarely). Neil plays players out of position to keep him out of the side.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

This debate on levels in football is well worn! the EFL Championship is one of the most competative leagues in the world and with the financial windfall of promotion to the EPL has most at stake, isnt the play-off final the most valuable to the winner? But it often lacks quality such is the cut-throat nature of needing to be in promotion contention. It is not 'better' than other top flight leagues, it is different and has its appeal greater than many top flight leagues.
A Few bad games and players (and managers) get cut loose so to build form and momentum for players like Horgan and Boyle, who need to adapt, well its always going to be tough. There are going to be players that stand out like Maguire who do make an immediate impact but mos foreign players need time to grow to the level or style.
The game against Cardiff was very low on quality but maybe that is due to style, whereas we have been watching nothing but a passing style for the last number of years. Its an unforgiving way to play as players that are poor technically are exposed quickly. Conversely players that get used to the technical side of the passing game do struggle to make an impact in a direct or long ball team. This isnt a claim that Dundalk is/was 'better' than PNE and such a claim would be daft without the sides playing It does seem though, just maybe Northend got a little stung by the observations here that it was a dire game to watch.

I'd be pretty sure AZ, BATE, St Petersburg, to a lesser extent Tel Aviv would be on the promotion hunt in the Championship. FH would likely struggle as would Dundalk over a season even if we did more that compete with the teams above. Hidjuk Split I'm not sure and the Lux sides wouldnt have a hope. Over time though Dundalk and SK could grow or develop a team to keeping the ball on the deck and holding their own against the physical, direct styles that is most evident in the football league. A style that would be very limited competatively in Europe I must add as a good passing side would certainly exploit ruthlessly the quick turnover of possession that the direct style involves.

IMO!! If we had been in a position to keep Boyle, Horgan Towell, (McEleney, McMillan) add Maguire and Finn to many of the squad we have, kept them together over a number of seasons then undoubtedly serious progression in European football would be a reality. As it is we have to do at least a mini rebuild each season as top performers get poached. It is very frustrating when players that do leave end up bench warming regardless of their sensible taking of an opportunity to make as much from a short footballing career. Nobody would begrudge them moving for money, they back themselves to be good enough, but if their move ultimately doesnt work we'd have them all back in a heartbeat ala Pat Hoban. They may not get such financial reward as whats on offer in the Championship et al but they could have Champions League football regularly and no shortage of doemstic honours. I doubt people would question the opinion that teams in the play-off round of the CL would cut in the EFL, and the likes of Boyle and Horgan would be better suited to doing well in that enviornment than the kick and rush of English and Scottish football!! Just my opinion and thats all it can be is opinion.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Dean Shiels on the receiving end of poor taste abuse from Falkirk fans following previous abuse from Falkrik players

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... kirk-fans/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 am

Maguire is class though.

Im sure this will soften any footballing struggles for O'Connor!!! lucky git...
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/01 ... ins-lotto/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Ezeikial wrote:Dean Shiels on the receiving end of poor taste abuse from Falkirk fans following previous abuse from Falkrik players

Falkirk FC issues an apology:

Disgust In Scottish Football Over 'Abhorrent Behaviour' Of Fans Towards Ex-Dundalk Footballer

https://www.balls.ie/football/disgust-i ... ler-380521

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby Sneachta » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:Dean Shiels on the receiving end of poor taste abuse from Falkirk fans following previous abuse from Falkrik players

Falkirk FC issues an apology:

Disgust In Scottish Football Over 'Abhorrent Behaviour' Of Fans Towards Ex-Dundalk Footballer

https://www.balls.ie/football/disgust-i ... ler-380521
They eye apparently a bunch of youths. Disgusting behaviour.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Letter from America

AMERICAN DREAM Former Dundalk star Ciarán Kilduff reveals the differences between football in the League of Ireland and America
The ex-Lilywhites ace made the move to Jacksonville Armada in July and is enjoying his football but can tell it is a growing sport

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/20 ... d-america/

Return to “General Discussion”