Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby mike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Quayman wrote:
El Paso wrote:McMillan cleaned out to win a penalty and off injured minutes after coming on as a sub. Attendance of 2800. TV money...

As far as I can see McEleney isn't even in Oldham's matchday squad.

Mceleney couldn't even get off the bench in that milky mouse lower league cup last week for oldham. Most clubs playing their second strings!

I heard possibly an international clearance is the delay with him, but that this was not caused by Dundalk.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:26 pm

It was sad to learn of the passing of Willie Penman at yesterday's game

He may have been getting on in years when he spent a short spell at Oriel in the early 1970's but he was clearly a gifted player

Jim Murphy who's who:
http://www.dundalkfcwhoswho.com/player.php?id=297
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Quayman wrote:
El Paso wrote:McMillan cleaned out to win a penalty and off injured minutes after coming on as a sub. Attendance of 2800. TV money...

As far as I can see McEleney isn't even in Oldham's matchday squad.

Mceleney couldn't even get off the bench in that milky mouse lower league cup last week for oldham. Most clubs playing their second strings!

Manchester Evening News claiming he has a thigh injury.

Anyway I'm genuinely annoyed about McEleney. Horgan and Towell moved to clubs pushing for the Premier League - fair enough and good luck to them, but Oldham are likely to be in League 2 next year. I mean what the fúck is the point of that?

McEleney is going to be 29 when his contract is up, and what will he have to show for it? Sweet fúck all most likely. No medals anyway. Baffles me. Sean says it's more money, but if wallowing in League 1/2 instead of aiming for the Europa League group stages is preferable because it's more money, then get a trade or a career. He's going to need one anyway when everyone has forgotten who he is in a couple of years. At least McMillan will still be an architect when his little journey as an also ran in Scotland is over.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 am

As a professional footballer I'd be sorely tempted to leave high flying Dundalk for League Two. It's a chance to play in a fully pro league. You're playing pro football week in week out with a three year contract. Playing Portsmouth and Bradford in front of 10,000. Two chances a year to get a shot at Man U reserves in the FA Cup or league cup. And if you are ambitious you'll be playing 50 professional games a year in the richest football country in the world. Playing in greater Manchester at that. With 100 times the exposure PmcE got last year in the loi and 2 euro games.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 am

I think we may need to raise our perceptions on the lower league clubs in England. As Sean suggested, everyone of them is fully professional and that’s a lot of clubs in League 1 and 2, plus most stadia in L2 would be better than the best we have in Turners Cross and Tallaght.

I also think the natural landing slot for a player moving from LOI might be League 1 now, this is not to slant the standard of LOI, its more so that the level of the championship has risen so much, plus they will still triple their wages, minimum. There will always be a few exceptions like Maguire, but look at the other examples like Towell now in a consistent starting role, McEleneny, O’Connor (Fleetwood) Boyle (Walsall – link), McMillan (St Johnstone – but lower half of SPL prob similar to League 1), Horgan started for PNE on Sat but he seems to hanging on by a thread there. Morrisey from Cork was another to do well in L2/L1.

In summary the last 3 best players in LOI from 2015 (Towell) 2016 (Horgan) and 2017 (Maguire), only one has cracked it consistently at Championship level, and he’s currently out injured.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 am

seand wrote:As a professional footballer I'd be sorely tempted to leave high flying Dundalk for League Two. .

If you take Stephen Folan at his word, he sees it differently

BOOM FOR IMRPOVEMENT Stephen Folan chose European football with Dundalk over ‘boomball’ in England’s League Two
The 26-year-old was training with Grimsby Town in Novermber when he got a call from Lilywhites boss Stephen Kenny

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/21 ... eague-two/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 pm

mike wrote:I think we may need to raise our perceptions on the lower league clubs in England. As Sean suggested, everyone of them is fully professional and that’s a lot of clubs in League 1 and 2, plus most stadia in L2 would be better than the best we have in Turners Cross and Tallaght.

I also think the natural landing slot for a player moving from LOI might be League 1 now, this is not to slant the standard of LOI, its more so that the level of the championship has risen so much, plus they will still triple their wages, minimum. There will always be a few exceptions like Maguire, but look at the other examples like Towell now in a consistent starting role, McEleneny, O’Connor (Fleetwood) Boyle (Walsall – link), McMillan (St Johnstone – but lower half of SPL prob similar to League 1), Horgan started for PNE on Sat but he seems to hanging on by a thread there. Morrisey from Cork was another to do well in L2/L1.

In summary the last 3 best players in LOI from 2015 (Towell) 2016 (Horgan) and 2017 (Maguire), only one has cracked it consistently at Championship level, and he’s currently out injured.

Great post mike.

As you know, PNE have signed 4 players recently from LOI and 3 of them have struggled to make the grade. The 2 Dundalk lads are both good lads, and are decent players and MAY still make it, but the step up to the Championship is just a step too far at present. Personally, I would send Daryl and Andy out on loan to a L1 club to get much needed game time and to gain good experience. I wouldn’t dive up on Andy & Daryl just yet and if they could go out on loan to a L1 club, it would give them a better chance of making the step up to Championship level next season. As it stands at the moment the step up from LOI to Championship has just been a step too far.
The 2 lads we got from Cork, Maguire looks the real deal but unfortunately he’s injured at the moment. O’Connor (the lottery winner) has gone out to Fleetwood on loan, with a view to getting more games.

Hopefully these lads will all make the grade with time, but I agree with mikes post completely.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:26 pm

If you're talking about a League 1 club with ambitions of getting into the Championship then fair enough. I'm not arguing that.

But a club destined for the fourth tier, whose average attendance is 4,200, and where he's going to get the shít kicked out of him, over a club with European football that's also giving out 3 year contracts? Sorry, not having it. If money is your primary motivator don't play lower League football in the first place.

P.S. Oldham failed to pay their players' wages last September:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-13715764

and when they signed Ched Evans three years ago the report was that Oldham players get paid in the range £800 - £2000 a week. And considering he seems to be an afterthought with no squad number at the minute I sincerely doubt McEleney is anywhere near the top end of that scale now:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ember.html
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 pm

A NEW DON Ireland defender Andy Boyle will join Doncaster Rovers on loan from Preston North End today
Boyle has started just 10 league games for Preston North End since joining just over a year ago

ANDY BOYLE will today join Doncaster Rovers on loan until the end of the season.

The Preston North End defender will make the move to the Keepmoat Stadium after Rovers boss Darren Ferguson beat off competition from Wigan, Walsall and Rotherham to land the Dubliner.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/21 ... end-today/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:22 pm

More on the Dean Shiels stuff on Scotland

Two charged after eyeballs thrown onto pitch during match with one-eyed former Dundalk player

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 46802.html

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Andy Boyle has today moved to L1 Doncaster on loan until the end of the season.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 pm

A better move than Walsall I think. Darren Ferguson is there. A good manager and can slowly get Doncaster up through l league one. Did it with Peterborough on numerous occasions

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Michael O Connor reported to have played for Finn Harps in a friendly last night. Loan move on the cards after Rotherham trial came to nothing

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm

He might now get the head down and work on his career rather than arrogantly thinking he already 'made it'. When he is on 100k a week and has 50 caps maybe then he can dictate to a manager.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Boyler starting for Doncaster today, Horgs on the bench for Preston again
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

Return to “General Discussion”