Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Postby Hull White » Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am

Maybe Sean didn't want to be the only fatty at the club!

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi guys

I'm still following your results with interest, and you seem to be doing very well, but Cork seem to be running away with the league. PNE have tried to help you by signing Sean Maguire but I don't think he joins us until 1st July.

I know a lot of you rate Richie Towell, but can you tell me a bit about him. Was he a better servant than Boyle & Horgan, and what sort of player was he. Is he a combative midfielder who can tackle and is he someone that would benefit with a loan move to Preston.

Good luck for the rest of the season and as I say I look out for your results after each game.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon May 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Given a full pre season and without knowing who your cm are and also not knowin if u23 football has adversely affected Richies progress it would be hard to say.

For us he was a box to box marauding centre midfielder. Scored 30 goals for us in 15 (not sure on total when penalties are discarded ). Neat and tidy on the ball and did his fair share when we didn't.

Only issue I think is that, he is by the sounds of things quite settled in Brighton and might not want to up sticks his family and go to the north west but that's only an opinion. I am not great at English clubs so don't know what other options he would have in that area.

For me it should be a no brained for him. A solid championship team that if boyle and horgs progression is to go by he will get his chance.

BTW when are Preston coming over for a thank you Dundalk free of charge friendly
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Mon May 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for that Johnny. I was just thinking that with Horgan & Boyle already being at the club it might just be.enough to attract Richie if he's the sort of player we're after.

I believe Preston are coming over to Ireland for pre season training but don't know any further details at the moment. When I find out I'll let you know.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Jaycee wrote:PNE have tried to help you by signing Sean Maguire but I don't think he joins us until 1st July.

Is that confirmed? Heard the rumours but wasn't sure it's true.

They have this other prick... sorry *excellent player*... Karl Sheppard. He's banging even better goals in. Sign him too.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Thu May 25, 2017 10:36 pm

El Paso wrote:
Jaycee wrote:PNE have tried to help you by signing Sean Maguire but I don't think he joins us until 1st July.

Is that confirmed? Heard the rumours but wasn't sure it's true.

They have this other prick... sorry *excellent player*... Karl Sheppard. He's banging even better goals in. Sign him too.

Nothing official from the club but too many ITKers are confident it's a done deal. Alan Browne retweeted Maguire's goal in a recent win but he didn't retweet any of the other 3 goals.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Jaycee wrote: Alan Browne retweeted Maguire's goal in a recent win but he didn't retweet any of the other 3 goals.

Hardly forensic evidence.

If a move happened in July, it would probably be in the best interests of the player and signing club. It would also be a real issue for Cork City, but I suspect that their lead is so significant that it would be unlikely to cost them a title
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Fri May 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Paul O'Hehir‏ @paulohehir · 8m8 minutes ago

Cork City star Sean Maguire poised for three-year deal at Preston

Cork City talisman Sean Maguire set to join Daryl Horgan and Andy Boyle in Preston

Sean Maguire looks set to sign a three-year deal with Preston this summer.

Mirror Sport understands the Championship club are now confident they have their man in a crushing but inevitable blow for Cork City.

Maguire was overlooked for the Republic of Ireland’s upcoming friendlies against Mexico and Uruguay.

Nor was he called on for the three-day training camp - primarily for Championship players - at Fota Island in Cork that finished yesterday.

But last night Roy Keane told the Rebels ace, 23, not to lose faith and that he can still play his way into Martin O’Neill’s future plans.

Keane said: “We’ve looked at Sean and he's doing well. He has to keep doing well.

“There’s talk of him maybe getting a move and if that happens we'll probably get more opportunities to see him.

“But there are just a few players ahead of him at this moment in time but that's all pretty normal. There’s nothing untoward.

“He has to keep doing the business, keep putting the ball in the back of the net and keep knocking on the door.”

Maguire has scored 13 league goals in 15 games this season but Keane continued: “I know we have Shane Long injured but there are lads ahead of him.

“People like Jon Walters, James McClean can play through the middle, Daryl Murphy has never let us down, so there are good options there for us.

“You see (ex-Cork City defender) Kevin Long come into the squad this week at 26.

“I'm not saying Maguire will have to wait that long but sometimes you have to be patient in this game.”

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...guire-10502325

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm

That's a fairly strong indicator that a July move to Preston is on the cards. Here's more from Daniel O'Donnell in the Independent who rarely gets it wrong:

Cork are determined to make maximum use of Maguire while they have him. At this stage, it appears to be a question of when they lose their main asset, not if they do. Preston are very keen on him and it's believed that advanced discussions have already taken place, with the main detail to be thrashed out revolving around his point of departure.
Keeping him for a portion of July would allow Maguire to contribute to Cork's first Europa League encounter in addition to helping their league efforts.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 57723.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm

The league is done tbf but it will be a blow to European ambitions. Maguire and Sheppard have been in exceptional form and with a Juy move most of the weight is then on Sheppard. At 26 has Sheppard any hope of turning heads and some interest that could really damage Cork's relentless goal scoring if he got an offer too?

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Nathan murphy to newry city
hopefully he can resurrect his career down there

http://www.newrycityafc.co.uk/2017/06/0 ... -for-city/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am

Richie Towell has 'new lease of life' and the hunger to drive on

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/06 ... ie-towell/

Jaycee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jaycee » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:38 pm

I said I would let you know when Preston come over to Ireland for their pre season training.

The training camp in Cork is from the Sunday 9th to Friday 14th of July.

I don't know if any friendlies have been arranged, but just giving you the heads up. I'm sure there will be more details available nearer the time.

Nice win on Friday guys. Hope the team is improving to get back to where you want to be.

It's a big season coming up for Horgan & Boyle and we've also signed 2 Cork players in Maguire & O'Connor.

Good Luck for the remainder of the season.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 pm

The descent continues....
Striker Marc Griffin signs for Glenavon on one-year deal

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40559729

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 am

That's harsh and uncalled for. I would expect something like that from a kid but a fully grown adult of your vintage
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Return to “General Discussion”