Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Sneachta » Wed May 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Exciting. It was mentioned already, if we can get a serious youth set up with tangible prospects for young lads to the senior squad or further afield, I think that would be great. Physical structure of the ground is a must though

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu May 18, 2017 4:28 am

It was on Talk of the Town that recently that Declan Breathnach was looking for the council to do something with the traffic congestion on the Carrick Road, I hope that wasnt in relation to match nights. With the new housing developments at Mount Hamikton a road linking the Ardee Rd at Ballybarrack and the Carrick Rd will be massive in relation to any potential development at Oriel imo.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Looks like Kelleher's true intentions have come out and Pats will move stadium as part of a massive development that will include a shopping centre and housing.

This is seriously leaving us in danger of being drastically left behind by our rivals. I can honestly see us in ten years time playing in a crumbling Oriel Park while the rest of the league are playing in decent stadia.
Pats, Bohs, Cork, Sligo, Derry, Finn Harps, Waterford, Galway etc will all have nice tidy grounds whilst we still walk through mud to get into ours
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
Pats, Bohs, Cork, Sligo, Derry, Finn Harps, Waterford, Galway etc will all have nice tidy grounds whilst we still walk through mud to get into ours

But surely the recent Puddle Project work will ensure that for generations to come people will have dry feet in Oriel Park?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Louth4sam wrote:

But surely the recent Puddle Project work will ensure that for generations to come people will have dry feet in Oriel Park?

It's pretty scandalous really that fans of other clubs are talking about new stands and stadia and we're talking about mud and puddles.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:53 pm

I must say I agree with L4S the embarrassment is getting worse,my hopes have been severely dashed..I had high hopes when the take over happened,ok they fixed a puddle only because supporters were refusing to pass and who could blame them.The away end is another embarrassment if I was an away supporters I wouldn't even go to oriel. Unfortunately it's a money making venture for investors end of story , supporters can attend but who cares we are here to make money so supporters can take it or leave it.Im sorry to have to write this about my beloved club who's had my support for over 60years ,at my age I have to think twice about attending matches ,heath an safety ,cover when raining, toilet facilities etc,are just a few issues I can mention for now, extremely disappointed is the word I'd use.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Louth4sam wrote:
It's pretty scandalous really that fans of other clubs are talking about new stands and stadia and we're talking about mud and puddles.

That's the keyword, other than Rovers (Derry is a different government), how many of these have come to fruition? Councillors have already expressed doubts about this.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm

I agree with magarnagle. I'll believe it when I see it. Until the first sod is turned, nothing is happening yet.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 pm

magarnagle wrote:
Louth4sam wrote:

That's the keyword, other than Rovers (Derry is a different government), how many of these have come to fruition? Councillors have already expressed doubts about this.

To be fair, whether the Kelleher plan comes to fruition or not, has little bearing on what L4S expressed
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I have split opinions about this. I'm convinced that quite a nice job could be done in Oriel with not a lot of money, which could attract enough people to get our average attendances up by about 1,000. The main stand could easily be extended to the length of the pitch with good toilets and so on, the Shed side could be extended the length of the pitch too and covered terracing put in at the Town End. So it's very frustrating.

On the flip side I'm getting bored of comparisons to other clubs. With the exception of Sligo, NONE of the other so called big clubs have done a thing to the grounds they're in under their own steam.

Rovers have a nice ground because the Council built them one after 20 years of squatting.
Cork have a ground because the FAI rent them one after they went bust stiffing the builders in their own ground.
Derry have a nice ground because Derry City Council bought it and developed it for them.
Bohs will have a nice ground because Dublin City Council bought it and will develop it for them.
Limerick EDP paid for the upgrade to Markets Field.
Waterford moved to the RSC because the Council developed it for them.
Galway rent their ground from the FAI through the Galway Football Association.

I'd love to see Pat's do what they're talking about - but I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see them shipped out to Tallaght for a good few seasons while the new ground is the last thing to be built in this plan.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

marvin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marvin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 pm

I think thats an accurate summary El Paso.
Tomorrow is another day.

Bungalow
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Bungalow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Plus the previous owners had more than one meeting with our own council who don’t seem to have any interest in helping developing the ground and remember alot of work can’t be done without planning permission

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
magarnagle wrote:
Louth4sam wrote:

To be fair, whether the Kelleher plan comes to fruition or not, has little bearing on what L4S expressed

You'll have to explain that one to me

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 am

magarnagle wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:
magarnagle wrote:

You'll have to explain that one to me

My reading of what L4S said was that fans of other clubs were discussing specific plans for stadium upgrades or even new developments (Tallaght, Brandywell, Finn Harps, Dalymount, and now St Pats) while we are talking about the famous puddle fix as being the most significant development at Oriel Park.

Whether the Kelleher / St Pats plan becomes a reality or not, does not change the fact that we appear stuck without any development or upgrade stadium plans

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:40 am

Im glad El Paso mentioned the origins of the better stadia in the league. Unfortunately we dont have municipal interest or the Leinster FA to do the work. We are in the same position as Sligo and it is scandal how far we are behind them but the rest mentioned are either just very lucky, have and had half built, practically derelict structures in an effort to get a decent ground (nearly ended one club before council intervention), and then those that are no more than architect renderings at this stage not even at planning stage.

We too could have plans published and it mean damn all really. Whatever ends up done at Oriel it will be in a balanced and sustainable way that keeps a competitive squad = European income = satisfied investors = phased development. We will know little about it until its happening and certainly not when.

Throwing every cent of EL 2016 money at Oriel Park would have been foolish in the past and expecting owners now to do similar is foolish. It'll be 2 or 3 years of 3 rounds + of European football before there would be a willingness to commit to a major development eg a new stand but If and when something happens Im sure it will be after a large amount of some process in which knowing exacly what is needed as opposed to what is wanted.

I think Peak 6 will think about a lot more than build a stand for x amount of people eg finding out that safe standing areas are needed to keep or grow the fanbase, that the more expensive outlay in rail seating will mean better return over all etc etc. the list is endless. In the mean time it is maximising all the off field potential of the club, as is, from revenue streams to youth strutures (which are connected) among other things that we should also see as club development and that includes some very basic stuff like clean toilets to maybe having a facilities/ground manager (probably needed more now than with a brand new stadium tbh). We might get a better response, shorter term at least, for something like this than demanding news on an 8k stadium.

I know many were hoping for immediate plans for facilities but realistically doing all the background work getting everything right if spending a fortune on ground development would be a 2 and maybe 3 year process anyway - especially if aiming cat 4.

Return to “General Discussion”