Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground Standards

Postby mike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Although the article offered little detail on what will be done in terms of any redevelopment (tune in next week) maybe there is a little hope?

The more articles like these that are published, the better chance there is that something even modest will be done.

Everyone at this stage knows the basics that need to be done, hopefully we will get some postiive news on something over the coming months.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:57 am

Are Louth GAA allowed to dictate to DKIT what sport is allowed in the DKIT stadium?! Or is it a case that it's effectively owned by the GAA and just happens to be on campus?

Hypothetically if Dundalk were to borrow the ground for 2 games a season it's going to make absolutely no difference to the GAA, the only reason to try and prevent 'other sports' using the ground is spite and protectionism

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm

seand wrote:Are Louth GAA allowed to dictate to DKIT what sport is allowed in the DKIT stadium?! Or is it a case that it's effectively owned by the GAA and just happens to be on campus?

Hypothetically if Dundalk were to borrow the ground for 2 games a season it's going to make absolutely no difference to the GAA, the only reason to try and prevent 'other sports' using the ground is spite and protectionism

Tbh even if DkIT were the full owners of the ground there would be no guarantee that an external football/rugby club would be allowed use the facility. The staff that would responsible for managing the facility are dyed in the wool GAA people where other sports withing DkIT are tolerated more than anything else.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm

If it's a joint venture, then anything outside of DKIT or GAA needs both to agree. I can understand why the GAA would to restrict the sports using the ground. Player numbers are down generally and the county is struggling at senior level. Why help the competition?

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm

What sort of crowds do Louth attract to justify the construction of such a large stadium? Just wondering, I have no more than a passing interest in GAA matters. I lived in an era where if you wanted to play GAA games you were forbidden to play so called foreign games. Fair enough, I thought, so I opted for the foreign games. Even at a very young age I knew that politics should not have anything to do with sport.
It was a very long time ago, I know, but even today such bigotry bothers me way at the back of my mind.
The Back of the Wall

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Ground Standards

Postby Johnny Guitar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Wexford White wrote:What sort of crowds do Louth attract to justify the construction of such a large stadium? Just wondering, I have no more than a passing interest in GAA matters. I lived in an era where if you wanted to play GAA games you were forbidden to play so called foreign games. Fair enough, I thought, so I opted for the foreign games. Even at a very young age I knew that politics should not have anything to do with sport.
It was a very long time ago, I know, but even today such bigotry bothers me way at the back of my mind.
In Drogheda Louth attract no more than 3k for league games.
Championship matches depends on the oppponent.
12k does sound very large.

Preferably we need to share resources but a soccer pitch is so dwarfed in a Gaa pitch

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Club championship finals have struggled to break 5k with larger teams competing with no neutral interest these day, in recent times there was a final circa 1800. One thing with Louth GAA in terms of intercounty championship is that 1 decent win early on can set things rolling and a Leinster semi-final after 1 or 2 wins could well fill a 14k county ground. League games will increase in a new ground simply as there wasnt a more depressing place in the country than the O'Raghallaighs when Louth were trying to play. Grass banks, open to the elements, a microclimate of its own, bar the team not that different from Oriel I suppose. If it was a choice of a game in Tallaght or at a new DkIT stadium where the town could benefit i'd hope that some agreement could happen especially if there are plans for Oriel and any arrangement wont seem to be indefinite to the GAA.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Would be a good time for Peak 6. to make an announcement about the future of Oriel.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:20 am

Lads
RE: Sharing stadium with Louth GAA.

You're all drunk, go home. Never going to happen LOL

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 am

I think it shouldn’t be lost on people that we have a partnership with the Dkit and that potentially could give us some leverage with regards use of the new stadium (hopefully!)
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:49 am

If we were to reach a stage of Europe where we couldn't use Oriel, this new stadium met the requirements, and we were still faced with going to Tallaght, there would be war over it. Never mind fans, the business community would be thinking with their pockets and would likely have a shitfit.

Besides Louth GAA and DKIT will both need the rent money.

I'm not one for GAA rules, but hopefully whatever way they were able to open up GAA grounds for the egg world cup could be used for European matches, even if they don't want to see Dundalk domestic games being played there.

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:00 pm

An incredible amount of horseshit going on here. just sort out Oriel -Peak 6.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:An incredible amount of horseshit going on here. just sort out Oriel -Peak 6.

Have you tried having a chat with Mal rather than constantly moaning on the inter web to strangers? He's around a lot, approachable and is the person who has the power.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Ground Standards

Postby Sneachta » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:An incredible amount of horseshit going on here. just sort out Oriel -Peak 6.
I agree. The whole concept of a ground share with the GAA was thrown out the last time cos the gaa would not release funds for a ground development that would include soccer and rugby. If they didn't agree the first time, why would they agree this time?

As Louth county council is behind this project and the Drogheda united project, I would be more confident of them eventually throwing some weight behind a redevelopment of Oriel park.

Whatever scholarship agreement we have with dkit for players will have no bearing on a ground development. Every third level institute in the country has students on scholarship programmes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 am

I don't think anyone's talking about a ground share with the GAA, which is pretty much unheard of and impractical anyway. But the option of playing one game a season in DKIT instead of Tallaght should be considered as an option.

Return to “General Discussion”