Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Sneachta » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm

seand I understand what you are saying, but I just can't see it happening.

I think the club are better off going it alone and if that means going to tallaght for one or two seasons til we get Oriel up to European standards, I think is not the worst option. Tallaght now has three seated stands, and for a big European night, I think Dundalk would get the crowd to almost fill it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: Ground Standards

Postby dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:An incredible amount of horseshit going on here. just sort out Oriel -Peak 6.
I agree. The whole concept of a ground share with the GAA was thrown out the last time cos the gaa would not release funds for a ground development that would include soccer and rugby. If they didn't agree the first time, why would they agree this time?

The only place there was any suggestion of a ground share with DkIT was here when plans with Louth GAA fell through, there was nothing official ever, and certainly nothing involving anything GAA and Dundalk FC - that would have been national news if mooted by Dundalk or FAI at the time. The original project fell through cause Louth GAA were divided on what project to support - a Dundalk v Drogheda thing! When the O'Raghallaighs realised that they would have to cede control of their ground to the County Board if Croke Park contributed to the County Ground they all but ended the dispute between North and South Louth on this (Darver was floated by a couple of Drogheda clubs as an option but up against the DkIT option they were told to get in line). Now that Louth GAA are on the one page these plans can progress with various funding including from GAA HQ.

What has been suggested here is that on an odd occasion if there were need for the ground at DkIT to serve our needs as a club representing the town it might be workable on ad-hoc rather than regular arrangement. Certainly after the Pairc Ui Chaoimh mess with their original stance on the Liam Miller fundraiser, previous use of Croke Park for 'foreign' games and the inclusion of GAA stadia in bids to host Rugby WC, the occasional approach to DkIT Stadium by Dundalk FC and agreement on it cant be totally ruled out!

This could, for example, include us having a state of the art Category 4 8000 all-seated ground ourselves and that size of ground not meeting demand for tickets. Rather than a move to Dublin (if not selling out the Aviva) then a future 20k county ground could come in to play. Use of or sharing the County Ground will never be a feasible alternative to developing our own place.

As for the Argus this evening, its a tad underwhelming, even moreso than last week. Job done though as I made a point of buying the paper today to read about the potential there is to the YDC and how we have learned how other clubs do things and we can draw on that experience. One thing Mal is certainly good at (in interviews anyway) is sounding like he is saying something while saying very little really.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 pm

As I said... locks for the toilet doors and possibly at a push toilet duck.....
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

One thing Mal is certainly good at (in interviews anyway) is sounding like he is saying something while saying very little really.

Bingo!

Also, after watching the Liam Miller match, it struck me that using GAA grounds for the odd one-off soccer match is even a thing. It just looked so *normal*.

If and when this ground in DKIT is up and running, and if it fits the requirements, it would be the most Irish thing ever to end up playing a big European tie in Tallaght. If I were an owner of the Crowne Plaza I'd threaten Louth GAA with a permanent withdrawal of sponsorship for a start.

As for Oriel my guess is they'll do the bare minimum, piecemeal. But not enough to get it to Europa League standards. It's annoying as hell, but it's what I expect - they're not going to build stands unless they know they'll be filled.

Also expect ticket prices to jump if and when any new stands are built.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Someone give the skorlive camera a wipe.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:As I said... locks for the toilet doors and possibly at a push toilet duck.....

We should have a bucket collection on Friday night lol, we are well used to them in times of desperate need over the years....for all the progress the club is making some very basic stuff is still seriously being overlooked and doesnt need a new stadium in Oriel or DkIT to sort!!

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ground Standards

Postby Sneachta » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:16 pm

dell1 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:An incredible amount of horseshit going on here. just sort out Oriel -Peak 6.
I agree. The whole concept of a ground share with the GAA was thrown out the last time cos the gaa would not release funds for a ground development that would include soccer and rugby. If they didn't agree the first time, why would they agree this time?

The only place there was any suggestion of a ground share with DkIT was here when plans with Louth GAA fell through, there was nothing official ever, and certainly nothing involving anything GAA and Dundalk FC - that would have been national news if mooted by Dundalk or FAI at the time. The original project fell through cause Louth GAA were divided on what project to support - a Dundalk v Drogheda thing! When the O'Raghallaighs realised that they would have to cede control of their ground to the County Board if Croke Park contributed to the County Ground they all but ended the dispute between North and South Louth on this (Darver was floated by a couple of Drogheda clubs as an option but up against the DkIT option they were told to get in line). Now that Louth GAA are on the one page these plans can progress with various funding including from GAA HQ.

What has been suggested here is that on an odd occasion if there were need for the ground at DkIT to serve our needs as a club representing the town it might be workable on ad-hoc rather than regular arrangement. Certainly after the Pairc Ui Chaoimh mess with their original stance on the Liam Miller fundraiser, previous use of Croke Park for 'foreign' games and the inclusion of GAA stadia in bids to host Rugby WC, the occasional approach to DkIT Stadium by Dundalk FC and agreement on it cant be totally ruled out!

This could, for example, include us having a state of the art Category 4 8000 all-seated ground ourselves and that size of ground not meeting demand for tickets. Rather than a move to Dublin (if not selling out the Aviva) then a future 20k county ground could come in to play. Use of or sharing the County Ground will never be a feasible alternative to developing our own place.

As for the Argus this evening, its a tad underwhelming, even moreso than last week. Job done though as I made a point of buying the paper today to read about the potential there is to the YDC and how we have learned how other clubs do things and we can draw on that experience. One thing Mal is certainly good at (in interviews anyway) is sounding like he is saying something while saying very little really.
Do you think in the short term that Louth GAA are going to design their ground in the early/first phase with consideration of potential European games for Dundalk FC? Not being fecistious about it, but if it took Louth GAA this long to finally cross the line about agreeing where to put the county grounds, I can't see them having the foresightedness of developing the ground to state of the level for Europe which could support Dundalk in the short term until we get our act together..

Would be great if I was wrong with that assumption as pairc ui chaoimh looked terrific this evening as it looked very normal.

Bare in mind, there is another recession on the horizon very soon so money for all these developments/potential developments could disappear as quick as they appear

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 pm

No I certainly think there will be a big difference between what will initially built by Louth GAA and what their aspirations for the ground in the future. It wont be up to spec in the near future and Dundalk FC will be nowhere near their thinking obviously. It is purely down the line chatter. Like what I was saying about us having our own Cat 4 stadium one day but occasionally might need additional capacity. In the past it would have been a guaranteed no chance. It is concievable that at some point the issue could arise, be a legitimate alternative to going to Tallaght or Dalymount and Dundalk FC play in the Louth County Ground. Might not even be for a European game as is the case for PUC and Cork City recently.

Louth GAA is nowhere near needing what is projected as the final stadium. It will probably have a circa 4k stand and safe standing terracing opposite bringing capacity up to the 14k that has been mentioned. Nothing behind the goals, and over time additional covering and seating added. I havent seen any plans for this project but going on the previous one I'd imagine they will be similar. I also cant see a new County Ground open before 2020 unless plans have been sat on waiting for common sense to prevail and are ready to go once a decision has now been made. DkIT executive probably has to sit and rubber stamp the project in principle yet also but again maybe a lot of the ground work has been done. The stadium will be designed with DkIT sports other than GAA in mind but what material difference that will make is likely negligible unless they show some clever design thinking on some bleacher type seating.

Its all conjecture of course but no reason not to discuss possibilities. For the size of the town (with projected growth) we could at some point have two grounds capable of hosting near 10k and 20k sporting events.

In the mean time, apart from our own frustrations with Oriel Park, the town as a whole, its businesses et al lose out on European nights, they could be many and annual if things go to plan. I hope there is awareness of this in general among those who may not be fans who attend games in Oriel Park but will be in the mindset when plans for Oriel do go in front of planners and councillors etc. Be it for permission to build, seeking assistance with funding, simply making the process as straight forward as possible and indeed keeping in mind a potential stadium project at Oriel Park when doing other infrastructure stuff eg roads.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:53 am

Limerick getting a winding up order because the guy bankrolling them has decided to stop bleeding money.

Apparently the rent on Market's Field is over €70K a year, which works out in the region of 250 paying supporters needed just to pay the rent. Ludicrous.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:20 am

Regardin the toilet issue,

On Shedside, surely its possible to open the YDC for the use of the toilets?

Johnnybegood33
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Now , would be a good time to give some indication to fans about plans for the future of Oriel Park.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Connacht getting a lovely new stadium Johnny. Discuss

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Sneachta wrote:Connacht getting a lovely new stadium Johnny. Discuss

Only 12k seats and cost of €30m. Too small and lacking ambition for Johnny.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marmulade » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Apparently Mal is in with Louth CoCo for a chat this evening! Wonder what they're talking about?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:45 pm

marmulade wrote:Apparently Mal is in with Louth CoCo for a chat this evening! Wonder what they're talking about?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Them putting a flag up on county hall? Or a victory parade!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”