Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2033
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Yes, exactly. It’s entertainment at the end of the day and people have expectations beyond being half able to see our football. I’ll add that at least one lad’s scanner wasn’t working and he was waving people through last night.



oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1495
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby oldfogey » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm

El Paso wrote:Just on the attendance oldfogey the Shed side looked full, the stand was full, town end terrace was full. Where do you expect more people to go? I stood on the hill behind the goal, which is a crap place to watch a match. I got my first view of the goals and trophy presentation on the Soccer Republic twitter feed this morning.


We have shoehorned in bigger crowds and attendance wasn't restricted by being all ticket. Admittedly there were 500 missing in the away section, but fans don't normally use comfort as an excuse for not coming to the biggest home game of the season. I would hate to think we would only get a 4,500 seater stadium because it won't be filled.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2033
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby El Paso » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Shoe horned in is the point. It’s not even all about comfort - 500 extra people literally wouldn’t have seen a thing.

I’d rather a full 4,500 seats where people buy for fear of missing a sell out than a 6,000 with 2,000 empty seats most weeks

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 pm

We have a top team , a great manager , & the YDC. Now Peak 6 are saying they are going to do a state of the art facility for the team ( in the YDC). That’s fair enough. They will not go in to specifics about Oriel Park. Why not , supporters want to know. We had a chat about getting Season Tickets for 2019 at the Sligo match. The view was wait until we see , what happens Oriel Park.So Peak 6 . What’s the story.?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4712
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: We had a chat about getting Season Tickets for 2019 at the Sligo match. The view was wait until we see , what happens Oriel Park.So Peak 6 . What’s the story.?


Are you implying that you will not buy a season ticket unless there are stadium redevelopment plans to your liking announced?

If you are, do you think that this is the sort of ultimatum that is likely to stimulate a multi million outlay by Peak6?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 pm

You never know Eze . They might come out with some specifics.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7532
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby mike » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 pm

I was also a little disappointed with MT's comments on what they will be focusing on next to improve. I only watched the march back tonight so just seeing it now. I think the YDC will be a great resource when they do what they want to do there, makes good sense having a state of the art facility for players.

However why are ignoring even the basics. The replays from action of the game shows a few horrible features of the ground, most notably the town side of the stand, lads just paint the damn thing white, it looks just dreadful with staining and it's really a sight for sore eyes. This wouldn't take a whole lot of money to improve either.

Still all over the ground there is a lack of toilets, no cover on both sides of the stand and sale of food next to portable loos.

I don't think we are realistically looking for P6 to implement huge redevelopemts overnight, but for Christ sake lads, can we please address the basics !

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5940
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 105 times
Contact:

Re: Ground Standards

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 am

mike wrote:I was also a little disappointed with MT's comments on what they will be focusing on next to improve. I only watched the march back tonight so just seeing it now. I think the YDC will be a great resource when they do what they want to do there, makes good sense having a state of the art facility for players.

However why are ignoring even the basics. The replays from action of the game shows a few horrible features of the ground, most notably the town side of the stand, lads just paint the damn thing white, it looks just dreadful with staining and it's really a sight for sore eyes. This wouldn't take a whole lot of money to improve either.

Still all over the ground there is a lack of toilets, no cover on both sides of the stand and sale of food next to portable loos.

I don't think we are realistically looking for P6 to implement huge redevelopemts overnight, but for Christ sake lads, can we please address the basics !

The bottom line is that a state of the art facility for players will potentially make money in bringing through young players developing them and possibly selling them on for a tf fee... putting a roof on away end new toilets etc won't necessarily increase attendance figures and will only cost money. I will be amazed if one extra seat let alone a new stand will be installed anytime soon. Having said that, it won t stop me renewing my season ticket for next season. Let's be honest everyone connected with the club knows we will continue to buy season tickets, because we love our football club so why would they bother investing millions into the infrastructure?? ,
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:37 am

Well , would an alternate route be a Stadium for Co. Louth , via Louth Co. Co. & FAI.etc. That is a new Oriel Park.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7532
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby mike » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:34 pm

The state of the art facility that they are proposing will indeed be a huge benefit for the squad and to attract new players, there is no doubt about that.

I still think they should be considering making some basic improvements, so many parts of the ground are sub standard it's getting beyond a joke, the worry is there seems to be very little appetite from the owners to address any improvements to spectator facilities. This would be a real shame starting the season in 2019 if nothing has been done in this area.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby marmulade » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:44 pm

If there were going to be any substantive improvement before the 2019 season, you'd already know about it, because the club would need planning permission. At best, we're looking at patchwork efforts such as the great puddle fix of 2018, a lick of paint here and there, and maybe some improvements to the toilet facilities.

Peak6 were pretty explicit that their focus is all about on the field activities, and have made no commitments to do anything about facilities. Unless there's strong, quantitative evidence that the state of the ground is keeping people away in substantial numbers, they won't be motivated to do anything about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4712
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm

marmulade wrote:
Peak6 were pretty explicit that their focus is all about on the field activities, and have made no commitments to do anything about facilities.


That was certainly the case in their early statements and at the supporter meeting in Oriel Park.

But Mal Brannigan has previously raised expectations in local media interviews that indicated some moves were imminent on Oriel Park development.

The Mike Treacy pre-match interview in RTE was especially disappointing because he did not give any indications that ground improvement were still on the cards
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1245
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Shoco » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:You never know Eze . They might come out with some specifics.


How much do you think it will cost to build the stadium you think we need?

Then allowing for maintenance and running costs of it, how long at €15 a ticket will it take for the stadium to pay for itself?

When you come up with an answer, do you think our owners will be here that long?

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4712
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Shoco wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:You never know Eze . They might come out with some specifics.


How much do you think it will cost to build the stadium you think we need?

Then allowing for maintenance and running costs of it, how long at €15 a ticket will it take for the stadium to pay for itself?

When you come up with an answer, do you think our owners will be here that long?


If that was the exclusive model used for stadium infrastructure investment, there would be very few stadia built or upgraded in this country.

The Sports Capital Grant scheme along with other potential commercial funding are also relevant factors
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1245
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Shoco » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Shoco wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:You never know Eze . They might come out with some specifics.


How much do you think it will cost to build the stadium you think we need?

Then allowing for maintenance and running costs of it, how long at €15 a ticket will it take for the stadium to pay for itself?

When you come up with an answer, do you think our owners will be here that long?


If that was the exclusive model used for stadium infrastructure investment, there would be very few stadia built or upgraded in this country.

The Sports Capital Grant scheme along with other potential commercial funding are also relevant factors


Yes, you are correct, but then not every club is run by an investment company


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: El Paso and 15 guests