Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ground Standards

Postby shedboy4life » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Minimal upgrades could surely be done in the short-term. Roof over the away end and the seats beside the Main Stand. A temporary stand behind the town end (ala Limerick. Or maybe something permanent like what Kilkenny had behind their goal. I’m sure I speak for the majority of Dundalk fans when I say we’re not looking for something like Tallaght or Turners Cross to happen overnight but better spectator facilities should in my opinion at least take priority over new paint or smaller superficial improvements.

The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:48 pm

If you had to name 4 new stands after former players/managers/others who would you pick?
Kenny
Kehoe
McLaughlin
McConville
The Thomas mcGauley stand?
??

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:05 pm

There is enough that could be done to a) increase the average attendance by about 1,000 and b) get people to spend more in Oriel (food, drink, merch) that it would pay for itself. I wish they’d make it clear they’re going to do it.

I have long since resigned myself to accepting they’ll not do more than a bare minimum.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 pm

There are so many fitting names and legends all of them! Many more to come in the future so i'd actually avoid such naming of the ground and stands except in really exceptional circumstances eg Stephen Kenny if he stays a couple of decades and wins another 10 titles. Rooms, bars, memorial murals, retiring jerseys all do the job well imo. The Derry City support has been torn asunder by the Ryan McBride/Mark Farren naming of stand/ground as a recent example of that minefield. Many would want a Jimmy Hasty stand, Joey Donnelly and Joe Martin are deserving of recognition. So not for me, plain Main Stand, Shed, Carrick and Town Stands!
Last edited by dell1 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:25 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:If you had to name 4 new stands after former players/managers/others who would you pick?
Kenny
Kehoe
McLaughlin
McConville
??

I think it’s possibly unfair to name stands after those who are still at the club. What if the unthinkable happens and we part ways with Kenny in sour circumstances and we still have a part of the ground named after him?
My choice would be: Main Stand- McConville Stand
Town End-Hasty End
Shed Side-Keough Stand
Carrick Road End-McLaughlin End

In fact I don’t know why we couldn’t do a poll and submit the results of it to the club to rename those parts of the grounds. At least if/when Oriel is redeveloped we have them new parts of the ground named already
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 am

This is bit like a girl booking the church when she hasn't even got a boyfriend yet.

Somehow I don't see an investment company giving away the naming rights to anything for free.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:39 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:If you had to name 4 new stands after former players/managers/others who would you pick?
Kenny
Kehoev
McLaughlin
McConville
??

Baba Isaka
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 am

The owners are business men and that makes them quite predictable.

Money is only invested when there is the probability of a return.

For every million invested in a new/upgraded stadium, how many years would it take to recoup those costs yet alone make a profit on the investment?

This is the yardstick in the world of business.

transitvan74
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby transitvan74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am

shedboy4life wrote:
Kenny
Kehoe
McLaughlin
McConville
??

I think it’s possibly unfair to name stands after those who are still at the club. What if the unthinkable happens and we part ways with Kenny in sour circumstances and we still have a part of the ground named after him?
Town End-Hasty End
Shed Side-Keough Stand

In fact I don’t know why we couldn’t do a poll and submit the results of it to the club to rename those parts of the grounds. At least if/when Oriel is redeveloped we have them new parts of the ground named already

what end will be the fools end ? the only way your going to see any major changes is when either stephen kenny gets pissed of with it or when the fans do ,at the minute the ground is not its not efffecting kenny or the
players , i would reckon the manager is giving them time to settle in etc ,but eventually as his plans progress he will want to ramp things up and thats when he will call their bluff{quicker the better}

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

For me this is becoming wearisome. Right from the beginning we were told that ground improvements were not a priority.
Do you remember the time when we used to moan about the manager and the team?
The Back of the Wall

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Postby McNultys Discopants » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm

transitvan74 wrote:
shedboy4life wrote:
Kenny
Kehoe
McLaughlin
McConville
??

Town End-Hasty End
Shed Side-Keough Stand

what end will be the fools end ? the only way your going to see any major changes is when either stephen kenny gets pissed of with it or when the fans do ,at the minute the ground is not its not efffecting kenny or the
players , i would reckon the manager is giving them time to settle in etc ,but eventually as his plans progress he will want to ramp things up and thats when he will call their bluff{quicker the better}

Keough Stand????

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm

“ JOHNNYBEGOOD STAND”.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Well if it ever happens Johnny and you have been the foremost voice in harassing Peak6 in to building a new stand you can call it whatever you like as far as i'm concerned!!

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25 pm

transitvan74 wrote:
shedboy4life wrote:
Kenny
Kehoe
McLaughlin
McConville
??

Town End-Hasty End
Shed Side-Keough Stand

It is a reasonable point that the manager wants to build a legacy beyond our own roll of honour and see improvements of all aspects of the club, helping to raise the bar of credibility and support for the league where all clubs have decent stadia like Sligo and Rovers. Im sure if he ever feels that Oriel Park is truly holding him back he will say so. His ambition is to show that he can qualify teams for European group stages and prove that 2016 wasnt a flash in the pan. When this is achieved in 2019 i'd have no doubt that he will be asking questions of Peak6 on Oriel Park too.

I will go back to the point though that we are so far behind in terms of what SK wants at the club and facilities for the players it makes sense that these will be prioritised first(apart from the whole return on investment thing). Youth development will pique the interest of the owners and can be fully justified for investment. The existing facilities have not been utilised fully yet in particular the YDC and Oriel Park itself is not exactly selling out with regular scrambles for tickets and we can say that x money spent will definitely return y.

The build it and they will come is a folly in this country that is awash with white elephant projects especially in rural GAA areas. Cork have a fine ground but their level of support, unless topping the table is less than 50% of capacity. Rovers even when winning ileagues in 2010/11 their average was about 4k so at best 75% of capacity with that percentage falling as the ground capacity is increased - they at least have multiple user of the ground including non senior mens international matches. The one argument we have is that we do sell out our seated capacity albeit not in an all seater ground and on Euro nights we could sell double the reduced capacity.

So this all comes back down to not much more than some of the basics being addressed in Oriel with semi temporary solutions until such a point when the return on owners investment is many multiples of their original outlay for the club. What we can hope for realistilly are top youth academy facilities and staffing and first team investment, including the sports science stuff. We are more likely to see a Roadstone and Corks new training ground type projects before new Oriel!!

That doesnt mean things have to totally stand still in Oriel Park itself - every year that passes when sports capital grants are announced and we are not beneficiarys I wonder why not, has an application gone in, is there even plans drawn up? Are the new owners aware of the potential grants?? Each year that we dont have application is another 100k to 1mil that we have potentially missed out on. We have the ability to draw down grants with our own contribution to the grants possible, we have the positive goodwill toward what the club is achieving and so on. Now if the club has submitted applications and they have been rejected then say so, find out why and go again the following year. Maybe the real problem on all of this is ultimately a communication one.....

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Ground Standards

Postby Sneachta » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:Well , would an alternate route be a Stadium for Co. Louth , via Louth Co. Co. & FAI.etc. That is a new Oriel Park.
Judging by the Louth coco behaviour of late regarding Louth GAA pitch, I wouldn't hold my breath of any of those useless ***** on the council making progressive planning decisions around amenities in our community. But they might build a heap of houses between two giant factories (Jesus wept)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”