Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground Standards

Postby mike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:51 pm

shedboy4life wrote:Minimal upgrades could surely be done in the short-term. Roof over the away end and the seats beside the Main Stand. A temporary stand behind the town end (ala Limerick. Or maybe something permanent like what Kilkenny had behind their goal. I’m sure I speak for the majority of Dundalk fans when I say we’re not looking for something like Tallaght or Turners Cross to happen overnight but better spectator facilities should in my opinion at least take priority over new paint or smaller superficial improvements.

Spot on. As I have said on numerous occasions, no one is expecting massive redevelopment, but let's improve the basics, better and newly built toilets. Roof both sides of the stand. Build a temp / permanent stand behind the town goal, I'd go with the one Pats have. Paint the side of the stand and either clear up the eyesore that is the away end, especially what's behind it, or close it down and re-house away fans behind the carrick road goal with a Limerick style away stand.

All of this wouldn't cost the earth.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:02 pm

What is the story with the money that was in the bank , before the arrival of new owners.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 pm

El Paso wrote:There is enough that could be done to a) increase the average attendance by about 1,000 and b) get people to spend more in Oriel (food, drink, merch) that it would pay for itself. I wish they’d make it clear they’re going to do it.

I have long since resigned myself to accepting they’ll not do more than a bare minimum.

Where are you getting this figure of 1000 from?

I really don't see it happening even if we get a brand spanking new stadium. Maybe on a wet evening some people will go that wouldn't bother going to oriel in its current state but I just don't see it.

At the end of the day it's what's happening on the pitch that will decide how many people turn up.

Look at tallaght, brand new stadium that's not even half full on match nights, another 2k seater stand being built but unless the product improves on the pitch they won't even get close to filling the 2 stands they have never mind the 3rd

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Obviously it’s a guess. But there are two pieces of evidence: 1, we got 3,500 - 4,000 for the bigger games this year (and some of those on tv) and 2,000 - 2,500 for others, so that’s the size of the floating crowd. 2, as I’ve said elsewhere you can’t even see the whole pitch from many areas of the ground. So not much point in telling people how great the football is when they can’t see it.

I’m only talking about bringing the average to 4,000. If that’s not realistic then this conversation is pointless. Of course they won’t spend any money on it.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 pm

mike wrote:
shedboy4life wrote:Minimal upgrades could surely be done in the short-term. Roof over the away end and the seats beside the Main Stand. A temporary stand behind the town end (ala Limerick. Or maybe something permanent like what Kilkenny had behind their goal. I’m sure I speak for the majority of Dundalk fans when I say we’re not looking for something like Tallaght or Turners Cross to happen overnight but better spectator facilities should in my opinion at least take priority over new paint or smaller superficial improvements.

Spot on. As I have said on numerous occasions, no one is expecting massive redevelopment, but let's improve the basics, better and newly built toilets. Roof both sides of the stand. Build a temp / permanent stand behind the town goal, I'd go with the one Pats have. Paint the side of the stand and either clear up the eyesore that is the away end, especially what's behind it, or close it down and re-house away fans behind the carrick road goal with a Limerick style away stand.

All of this wouldn't cost the earth.

Even if we end up with two smaller stands behind the goals and the rest of the seats roofed I’ll be happy with that for the next few years at least
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:22 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:What is the story with the money that was in the bank , before the arrival of new owners.

Depends on the terms of the sale. If the cash reserve remained in the bank it would be added to the overall cost to Peak6 of buying the club. It could have been withdrawn prior to the sale by the previous owners and that would have been minused from the value of the club. Its probably somwhere in between but we wont know until annual accounts are lodged with the CRO and we see whats in the balance sheet (i'm open to correction on this). The cash reserve wasnt huge in relative terms after all expenses of the EL run were paid out. Not enough for the demolition of the main stand and a new one built to replace it the full length of the pitch anyway. But more than enough for a few locks on toilet doors and cans of whitewash!!

It would be interesting to know what the cost of the most recent stand in Tallaght was actually, what proportion SDCC paid for and what was issued in sports grants. Its a basic 2000 seater stand without much more than toilets underneath, basic in that I dont think it has office space, medical rooms, parking already there etc. It wouldnt be a direct guide to cost as there wouldnt be the space in Oriel for the same type of stand but it would give an idea. Rule of thumb Johnny is €1million per 1000 seats not including planning conditions like car parking (which is estimated at €5k per surface parking space!! so say 50% of people drive to a game) and will be an obstacle to anything proposed with Oriel imo. Maybe why the Derrhale should be an important consideration to add to the club. Train Station could be a help too.
It was lack of car parking and not the crazy 30,000 people housing development that sank Pie in the Sky Park in Drogheda a decade ago. Their traffic management plan was to run busses from the different public car parks in the town out to the stadium. The NRA objected on the basis that people would park up on the hard shoulder of the M1 on match nights.
A classic line pitched during that proposal went along the lines of 'Louth County Council will be privilaged to to have the top sporting institution in the County, steeped in history and tradition,...the envy of the North East and the Country at large '. When it didnt wash with LCC they did the same with Meath CC for south of the river and were told where to go by them too. Sorry I know this has nothing to do with our ground issues but it always gives me a quiet laugh when I think of the looks that comment got in the council chamber when it was being pushed.
Last edited by dell1 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:06 am

The new stand in Tallaght is expected to cost around E2m.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

Good post Dell. It will be interesting to see the Annual Accounts.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 pm

dell1 wrote:
Johnnybegood33 wrote:What is the story with the money that was in the bank , before the arrival of new owners.

Depends on the terms of the sale. If the cash reserve remained in the bank it would be added to the overall cost to Peak6 of buying the club. It could have been withdrawn prior to the sale by the previous owners and that would have been minused from the value of the club. Its probably somwhere in between but we wont know until annual accounts are lodged with the CRO and we see whats in the balance sheet (i'm open to correction on this). The cash reserve wasnt huge in relative after all expenses of the EL run were paid out. Not enough for the demolition of the main stand and a new one built to replace it the full length of the pitch anyway. But more than enough for a few locks on toilet doors and cans of whitewash!!

I am doubtful if the next CRO annual returns will actual clarify this, but as you indicate, interesting as the question may be, the answer is hardly important in the context of ground developments. Peak6 have probably either paid the previous owners a consideration for the cash reserves or it was extracted in some other way.

Either way it is now largely irrelevant to the overall picture. Peak6 can access funds in either scenario, if they wish to invest in stadium redevelopment. Most people accept that it is more a question of willingness (Return On Investment) than ability (access to capital)
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 pm

There you go , Stuey Byrne & Cawley wondering are the new owners going to build a proper stadium for a super team.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 pm

This joint announcement between the FAI and IFA on Thursday is rumoured to be a bid for the European under 21 championships in 2021.

If true, I wonder would money be made available to some clubs to upgrade facilities. Can't imagine we would be on the potential list though with the amount of work that would be required

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:There you go , Stuey Byrne & Cawley wondering are the new owners going to build a proper stadium for a super team.

Bryne also said on Monday night soccer that the new owners needed the same enthusiasm as SK to take the club further with players a proper ground and facilities otherwise they might loose him as he can only do so much himself and would get frustrated with them not doing there bit.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Shoco wrote:This joint announcement between the FAI and IFA on Thursday is rumoured to be a bid for the European under 21 championships in 2021.

If true, I wonder would money be made available to some clubs to upgrade facilities. Can't imagine we would be on the potential list though with the amount of work that would be required

It would be the exact timing to seek funding for a proper development. Geographically spot on between to two main centres and would leave the type of legacy that UEFA often require for hosting such events. There even could be additional money via UEFA from the FAI. Key is that the club are on the ball and make sure we are in consideration to be involved - that would be committing to a development in partnership with all the various other bodies. LCC need to show a bit of ambition also for the town to be a host. That can happen if hoteliers, chamber of commerce, among other potential beneficiaries group together to push on this - the club needs to take point. It could go a long way to paying for development needed with even simply on the basis that the club would get paid for rental of the facility. At absolute minimum we could be a training centre for one of the competing nations.

Its a bit strange to think back to Oriel Park being the training centre for the Republic of Ireland national team when they stayed at the Nurmore under Charlton.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

An announcement soon.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote:An announcement soon.

New Harp tap in the Lilywhite
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

Return to “General Discussion”