Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Ground Standards

Postby dell1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:11 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote:It's sad to see people on here going on about bloody Oriel Park as Stephen Kenny use to say. I ranted about it for years & nothing was done. I got fed up , it's more than pathetic , it's embarrassing .

Dont get fed up and quit! It is difficult to get local traction when we have 'moneybags' owners but 1000 fans at 5 euro a week and that money forces the hand of the owners. 1 year with grant money and we have a seated stand behind the town goal similar to the above example! Instead of getting fed up and posting regular grumbles here why not take the lead in such an initiative and approach the club. It is how Sligo have made the Showgrounds in to such a decent stadium. We are more than capable of doing similar if we quit expecting others to do the job for us past present and future!! Maybe some local businesses might even add to the pot knwoing there is return on hosting sellout games is Oriel!?!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Limerick are threatening to leave Markets Field over the rent being charged and return to Jackman Park. Apparently it works out at about 3 grand per match, yet the pitch is routinely wrecked by rugby matches.

It's owned by the LEDP, which is a charity linked to JP McManus. Getting specific figures is hard, but the ground development itself got 1.1 million from the State with 400K provided by the LEDP. Don't know how many have been there but it is essentially a new pitch and boundaries etc, and the existing stand and other buildings refurbished. It's nothing special for 1.5 million...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm

shedboy4life wrote:How expensive would it be to put a cover on the away end and the uncovered seating beside the main stand? The shed was done by GM in a day? Two days?

Behind the town end is ideal for development. I’d argue that the numbers that stand behind the town end should quantify for some sort of spectator facilities. All that’s there is a muddy hill so imagine if there was a terrace with a roof it would attract even more spectators to that part of the ground.
These aren’t far fetched ideas and some of them can still be done before the start of the season.

These are the areas I have been saying for a long time that should be addressed first. Build a 'St Pats' style open stand behind the town goal, and cover both sides of the stand. These would be modest improvments along with new toilets and wouldn't effect any larger scale plans in years to come.

It would be a terrible shame if nothing is done when we open up v Sligo in 6 or 7 weeks time but I wouldn't get too excited anything will be done for spectators.

On the DFCtv interview with VP today, he is at least very happy with the improvments being made to the training side, in the YDC, the new additions as per the video and photos look great at the gym, and he mentioned new dressing rooms. I wonder is that inside the YDC for the gym, and no changes will take place for matches ?

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 pm

mike wrote:
shedboy4life wrote:How expensive would it be to put a cover on the away end and the uncovered seating beside the main stand? The shed was done by GM in a day? Two days?

Behind the town end is ideal for development. I’d argue that the numbers that stand behind the town end should quantify for some sort of spectator facilities. All that’s there is a muddy hill so imagine if there was a terrace with a roof it would attract even more spectators to that part of the ground.
These aren’t far fetched ideas and some of them can still be done before the start of the season.

These are the areas I have been saying for a long time that should be addressed first. Build a 'St Pats' style open stand behind the town goal, and cover both sides of the stand. These would be modest improvments along with new toilets and wouldn't effect any larger scale plans in years to come.

It would be a terrible shame if nothing is done when we open up v Sligo in 6 or 7 weeks time but I wouldn't get too excited anything will be done for spectators.

On the DFCtv interview with VP today, he is at least very happy with the improvments being made to the training side, in the YDC, the new additions as per the video and photos look great at the gym, and he mentioned new dressing rooms. I wonder is that inside the YDC for the gym, and no changes will take place for matches ?

Yes and according to Gavin McLaughlin on Twitter ‘ A lot of investment going into the YDC. Gym facilities and dressing rooms are top notch and more to come’.
Positive news

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:47 pm

We may not have spectator facility improvements but it does appear behind the scenes and player style benefits are being pushed along. The YDC seems at last to be providing a very real centre of excellence if things progress as planned.

I think probably the only comparison we have with Cork on TC v oriel is we can make use of the ground on a daily basis. They have obviously and unquestionable better spectator facilities, however it’s only used on match nights and I was surprised to hear on my last visit down that although it’s a fully covered ground on 4 sides, only the shed end is completely functional for a stand underneath. Their main stand has little under and the two other stands have nothing. The absence of any bar in the ground is the biggest amazement, consisdering we had 3 up and running v Tallin and Laranca.

However all punters will only judge any ground by sparkling new red seats etc. As much as I’d love and still want to see oriel improvements, there is a lot behind the scenes that has to be taken into account.

We still could do so much work in the next 6 weeks to improve things specator wise. I don’t hear / feel the appetite unfortunately.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:16 am

Hopefully its an ongoing work in progress. Get the team (the main money generating part of the club) facilities up to scratch and then move on bit by bit to other parts of the club. Maybe all that is really missing is some concrete (pardon the pun) plans communicated to fans rather than the current abiguity. Thngs seem very cloak and dagger at the moment and possibly there is good reason eg a planned launch or open day for fans with the new YDC improvements where info will be forthcoming, changes in staff that little can legally be commented on etc. Or, of course, there is nothing worth commenting on.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:04 am

Obviously people look at empty spaces in the ground in terms of added seating or a new stand but we need to STOP considering the area behind the Town goal as a site for major addition. The concreted area needs to be kept for access to/from the shed leaving the possibility of no more that 6 or 7 rows. With steps at both ends and 2 in the middle, you're really looking at no more than 50 seats to a row. Hardly going to have a dramatic effect.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 am

I think the modular stand example would fit behind the goal and leave sufficient space, certainly as much as there is between the wall and the start of the terracing at the townn end terrace. By nature they are adaptable to suit needs also. A work around i'm sure could be thought up also although it would add to cost eg access to the shed being via underneath a new stand if designed in an appropriate way, I dont think 500-700 sized family stand is out of the question.
I would consider the same solution for the Carrick Road end to maintain access to the YDC. If the gradient of the stand is kept as high as possible then it could still have headroom for outside broadcast vans etc. There was plenty of space behind the temporary stand in 2014 with broadcasters, addititional toilets chip van etc.
Rethinking the access points for fans too could be a solution eg have one of those modular stands put behind the carrick goal and on a flattened Away section (better angled for sightlines, almost to the bar smoking area and redo those old turnstles as the access point in, easily 800-1000 seats would fit. if foundations are adaquate those adaptable modular stand units could even go over the lounge at the same pitch as the Main Stand and up to the main stand almost like an extension of the stand that side though the viewing area from the boardroom would have to go.) They then become home support areas with access to the shed. Terracing behind the Town goal with a buffer zone to the away fans would make up for lost home capacity due to the town terrace being larger than the away if a smaller sized module was used at the away terrace area. There is better/closer access to the Lilywhite Lounge and YDC bars (and toilets if new ones werent initially built) for a greater number of fans then to. The player and officials entrance area could be properly cordened off.
Make the Town Terrace the away section. It would create grumbles with people rattling on about standing or sitting at a certain spot for a 100 years and resist change but its been done before with the area behind the away dugout now not used. For away fans there is a better view, toilets, and not a dumping ground behind the terrace. It could be covered but even if not its an improvement.
Fans are only really segregated when they get in to Oriel not on the way up to the ground currently and that wouldnt change either way. If away fans are held back after the game as per the norm then both exit lanes can be used initially for home fans rather than just via the small lane currently used for away supporters. Its not easy but not an insurmountable problem to rethink how sets of supporters are accomodated in the ground and how the current setup could be changed to make best use of space. I know this is all just idle chat without news of plans but there is no harm in the discussion and considering workarounds for improving the old place if there isnt to be a multi million € plan of improvement.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 am

300-400 covered seats at the Town End sounds great to me! Better view of the pitch than a lot of the Shed. You'd get more than that if done properly. The footprint allows more room for manoeuvre than we think.

Personally I couldn't care less about away fans - the amount of land wasted where that terrace is is criminal

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:33 pm

El Paso wrote:300-400 covered seats at the Town End sounds great to me! Better view of the pitch than a lot of the Shed. You'd get more than that if done properly. The footprint allows more room for manoeuvre than we think.

Personally I couldn't care less about away fans - the amount of land wasted where that terrace is is criminal

It’s worth remember that there used to be a stand behind the town end. So if we do get something done it will take us right up to.....the 80’s
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby thecaptain » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm

300k gone into upgrading the YDC over the winter as per Gavin:

https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-a-new-dawn- ... N3in0jVlA8
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Found these photos earlier. Would have been from either Sept 2014 LCF v Rovers or the final league game v Cork.

Wonder what this would cost even for a medium term rental until more ‘concrete’ plans were in place?

Always thought that temp stand looked great and fitted perfectly into that part of the ground. There was also a good bit of space behind it too if I remember correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 pm

thecaptain wrote:300k gone into upgrading the YDC over the winter as per Gavin:

https://dundalksport.ie/dfc-a-new-dawn- ... N3in0jVlA8

That's certainly a substantial investment, especially if it is exclusively on player facilities without any means of getting a return from external usage.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:05 pm

If it's a high performance suite, it rightly should be for players only. It's an investment into professional players conditioning. The rest of us can use ballymac

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”