Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground Standards

Postby mike » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:44 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Cant help but feel the positioning of the YDC has been a major obstacle for redevelopment.

I`m not so sure about this, you could still knock the shed down and build a 10-15 seater row stand the most of the length of that side, with a sharp angle going against the pitch. The YDC could used as a perfect backdrop, with access from any new stand into the main YDC building to use the toilets, install shops, food access, maybe the bar too.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Some interesting points raised. Ideally for me OP would be redeveloped and we wouldn’t have to play away . However I don’t think that’ll happen and I’d fear that we will have to move out for a considerable length of time. This will no doubt have a detrimental effect on our chances. For example, in all honesty what crowds are we going to get in Mons or Newry ? Where will the team train?
I’m afraid I don’t think it would be possible to close OP for the sort of work we all want AND challenge for the league or even Europe. What other team has had success when playing most of their home games in another stadium?

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 am

One solution would be is erect temp stands up at DKIT while the work is going on (Not sure if this would be too expensive or if possible) but it would mean staying in town.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 pm

SK and this bunch of lads I dont think are particularly effected by playing away anywhere as long as the surface is good. If we did have to move out of Oriel for a while I think they would continue to challange especially for an EL spot.
I think fans would travel in numbers too to create a home from home. It would be a very different scenario that the last time we had to play in Monaghan but I dont think any of us want to seriously consider that purely on past experience.
United Park would be a slightly better option but the narrow pitch wouldnt suit the way we play for every game and against better opposition that Drogheda have been or would be.
Newry Showgrounds is a nice wee ground and would be most suitable as a temporary home. Scheduling wouldnt be an issue even with an overlap of seasons with us playing most game on a Friday evening. There have been bigger obstacles than the IFA overcome when facilities needing borrowing during redevelopments so we should never say never on that option.

Tempoary stands at DkIT would still have the issue on needing a permanent solid base to erect stands on and Im not sure how that could be done cost effectively never mind the rental cost of the actual stands. Isnt there an issue too where some of the playing pitches are owned by Louth VEC and some by DkIT, they are shared but if any work was needed even temporarily it could be messy, and then reinstating the place as it was before would be a cost. They only way DkIT would work was if in some way anything done to host Dundalk FC games, would feed in to a more permanent facility for DkIT itself, eg foundations on which the temporary stands would be placed could be used eventually for a permanent stand for DkIT. I cant see how that would work cost effectively unless DkIT themselves were willing to pay for the initial ground works as they would have the long term benefit eventually.

I will be well down the line before we will be worrying about such things but its no harm looking a the possibilities. If Dundalk Rugby Club ever had plans to do some ground development on Mill Rd, DFC could work with them on something. There might even be something resembling a county ground by the time we have to consider moving out of Oriel for a time. Would St Brigids Park be an option for a temporary home?

Looking at the path/drainage works last Friday, while that work was being done not digging out another few metres in to the grassy bank and concreted is a bit shortsighted imo. It would be ideal for temporary or semi permanent seating behind the town goal, something similar to Richmond Park, especially for EL games in July. Cant have been that cost prohibitive to have done a larger area? At least the puddle is no more. There is some amount of space that end of the YDC too now that its has been cleared up. The laneway too that runs along the outside of the Town end wall, it has been cleared recently and it'd be interesting to know what or whom would have right-of-way to use it. It's ideal for access to potential turnstyles in to any stand on the YDC side and the space at the end of the YDC would be a decent concourse before entering a stand too. Especially if things like toilets/food outlets/beer points, were incorporated under a stand. Alternatively it would be the spot to build media rooms overlooking the pitch, office space etc.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 pm

The lane behind the wall is/was the vehicle access to the CIE goods yard on the Ardee Road.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm

New Tarmac surface going in at the turnstiles behind the Town End corner terrace.

Again a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 pm

El Paso wrote:New Tarmac surface going in at the turnstiles behind the Town End corner terrace.

Again a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

Bringing us up to the bare minimum standards. So fair play to the new guys. Should have been done long ago though. Whatever about the rest of the ground, walking through mud and puddles to watch a football game is something nobody should expect in 2018
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Shows how badly a lick of paint is need too!!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Absolutely dell. Looks disgusting.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 pm

Oriel looking better week by week , tarmac & cement make a difference.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu May 10, 2018 12:01 am

Cork boss Caulfield: Artificial pitches give Derry and Dundalk an advantage
The Leesiders will make their first visit to the redeveloped Brandywell to face the Candystripes on Friday.

http://www.the42.ie/john-caulfield-derr ... 3-May2018/

Yep, I hope so, John
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 am

Considering the amount of use that Turners Cross has to deal with maybe the MFA should go plastic! JC would do his nut with no excuse for the launch the ball long game but it would be a pragmatic for the MFA to follow the lead!

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Cork boss Caulfield: Artificial pitches give Derry and Dundalk an advantage
The Leesiders will make their first visit to the redeveloped Brandywell to face the Candystripes on Friday.

http://www.the42.ie/john-caulfield-derr ... 23-May2018

"There’s no point in making excuses, which we don’t do," says Caulfield, immediately after taking lots of time to make an excuse.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 am

Theres an interview with Mike Treacy of Peak 6 in this weeks LOI Weekly. He talks briefly about improving the stadium but more generally about their plans for Dundalk. Might be of interest to you.

Return to “General Discussion”