Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground Standards

Postby Shoco » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am

Hopefully johnnybg head has now exploded if he's read that

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am

ArFella wrote:Drogheda announce new stadium plans with FAI and Louth County Council approval:
http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/stateme ... n-drogheda

As if we didn't already have enough reasons to dislike the council...

Good luck to Drogheda on this.

Fair play to the FAI and Louth Co Co for supporting it.

I trust that we will receive the same support if/when we seek it
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

eamoss
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby eamoss » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm

ArFella wrote:Drogheda announce new stadium plans with FAI and Louth County Council approval:
http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/stateme ... n-drogheda

As if we didn't already have enough reasons to dislike the council...

I am guessing this will be funded via the FAI selling United Park? And LCC providing the land for free?

It's not the same case as us seeing we nor FAI don't own Oriel Park so cannot sell to fund a new stadium.

Anyone know where this will be located? I'm guessing it'll be far outside the town.
EDIT:
On boards.ie it suggests it be out here https://goo.gl/maps/Hz74GggtGvu
Last edited by eamoss on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm

I understand it will be in Newtown on the Termonfeckin Road.

The lesson here is for schoolboy clubs not to bother fundraising and building your own facilities. Let the kids play on wasteland until the council is shamed into providing facilities, a lot of which comes from rates paid by businesses in Dundalk.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Sorry but they lost me at "Drogheda have a fine history in league of Ireland"... 1 league and 1 FAI Cup is far removed from a fine history!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 pm

At first glance this doesn't solve the issue of a county ground so I wouldn't be surprised if the GAA are (yet to be revealed) silent partners. Would explain the potential upgrade to 10,000 seats. Either way this leaves us going to Drawde for QR3 or group games unless we build our own Cat 3 stadium. I think I'd rather go to Tallage.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm

oldfogey wrote:At first glance this doesn't solve the issue of a county ground so I wouldn't be surprised if the GAA are (yet to be revealed) silent partners. Would explain the potential upgrade to 10,000 seats. Either way this leaves us going to Drawde for QR3 or group games unless we build our own Cat 3 stadium. I think I'd rather go to Tallage.

There is no chance the GAA are involved

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:06 pm

oldfogey wrote:At first glance this doesn't solve the issue of a county ground so I wouldn't be surprised if the GAA are (yet to be revealed) silent partners. Would explain the potential upgrade to 10,000 seats. Either way this leaves us going to Drawde for QR3 or group games unless we build our own Cat 3 stadium. I think I'd rather go to Tallage.

Slow down, it has to be built first! And even then it's only 3000, it will be a long long time before we would have to consider going to drogheda to play a future European game.

Remember the new daily mount has the potential to be upgraded to 10k but that too will be a long time coming

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

This does not make sense. When we are playing potentially Ajax , Tel Aviv Macabi , St. Petersburg , etc . and would fill a 10,000 seater stadium , Drogheada will be playing Cabinteeley etc. Delaney should never be allowed within an asses roar of Oriel Park. Once again Dundalk FC are flying the flag for Ireland in Europe. They may build facilities for the Drogheada community & that’s good , but Dundalk FC are the dominant force in football on this island , it will be all the more satisfying when Peak 6 upgrade Oriel. On a positive note we may be able to play all our future European matches in Drogheada instead of Tallaght.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 am

DundalkChampions wrote:

There is no chance the GAA are involved

Patience! Half a chance and they will stick their oar in!! Only that I dont think the County Ground should be in a town in Meath I dont see too much reason for not having a municipal ground with potential for hosting a number of sports. The GAA have yet to come to that consensus of course.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 am

I would not direct any ire towards the FAI regarding this move. All they are doing is converting the market value they have tied up in United Park, which only benefits Drogheda United, into a complex of municipal playing fields that will benefit all clubs in the south Louth area.

This is a good decision by them.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am

Yep make no mistake here. The FAI will come out of this making a profit. Plus will the new ground be rent free for Drogs ? I doubt it will if they are not putting anything into it. Rovers pay around 7k a month. That’s probably most of one gate gone per month. Cork have a fair bill too for TC but I don’t think it’s near what Rovers pay.

It’s always good to see a new LOI ground and a nice one for us to visit and pack out. It’s just the LCC involvement, that’s the big surprise.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Roll on with Peak 6.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm

mike wrote:It’s just the LCC involvement, that’s the big surprise.

LCC are sitting on "54 acres of council-zoned land banks throughout the county on which Louth County Council pays €3 million a year in interest only for the loans".

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/land-banks-for-housing-in-louth-raised-by-munster-35576245.html

This site is one of those land banks.

They want the loan and the interest cost off their books.

The sale of the United Park will generate the cash to allow them to do this.

This seems to be a win-win for LCC, the FAI, Drogheda United, and junior football in Drogheda. Of course, it all stems from a stupid decision by LCC to buy the site in the first place.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:17 pm

White Horse wrote:
mike wrote:It’s just the LCC involvement, that’s the big surprise.

LCC are sitting on "54 acres of council-zoned land banks throughout the county on which Louth County Council pays €3 million a year in interest only for the loans".

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/land-banks-for-housing-in-louth-raised-by-munster-35576245.html

This site is one of those land banks.

They want the loan and the interest cost off their books.

The sale of the United Park will generate the cash to allow them to do this.

This seems to be a win-win for LCC, the FAI, Drogheda United, and junior football in Drogheda. Of course, it all stems from a stupid decision by LCC to buy the site in the first place.

Aren't they tightening up the surcharge on unused land banks? Probably another reason to turn it into playing fields.

Mind you, you could make the same argument about United Park.

Return to “General Discussion”