Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground Standards

Postby El Paso » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 am

Everyone with a vested interest wants / *needs* Shelbyville out of Utd Park. It’s good for South Louth, but don’t think it’s all that relevant to us. What we need from Louth CoCo is a proactive, collaborative, fast tracked planning process if and when we go to do anything.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:20 am

I actually think this is good for us. LCC are now against a wall if we need something. They stand in our way and local councillors will have problems next election time
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:38 am

This stadium should be built on the Dublin road about 25 miles north of Drogheda
The Back of the Wall

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:08 am

El Paso wrote:What we need from Louth CoCo is a proactive, collaborative, fast tracked planning process if and when we go to do anything.

Good point. LCC have been nothing but an impediment to Dundalk FC so far.

Any attempt by the club to redevelop Oriel Park is going to come under a barrage of objections from begrudgers (of which there are plenty). Unless the council is behind the project, it could get drowned in bureaucracy.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:14 pm

AEKs ground look like a wee cracker. Depending on which site you look at it has a capacity of 7,400-8,000.
Cost about €8.5m to build.

AEKARA
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AEKARA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Shoco wrote:AEKs ground look like a wee cracker. Depending on which site you look at it has a capacity of 7,400-8,000.

Yours ain’t much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:44 pm

AEKARA wrote:
Shoco wrote:AEKs ground look like a wee cracker. Depending on which site you look at it has a capacity of 7,400-8,000.

Yours ain’t much better

“A wee cracker” is actually a compliment!!! Something along the lines of “ a lovely small stadium”!!
King Kenny!

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

AEKARA wrote:

Yours ain’t much better

That was a compliment!!!

Is it a UEFA category 3 or 4 stadium?

AEKARA
Youth Team
Youth Team

Ground Standards

Postby AEKARA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Shoco wrote:
AEKARA wrote:

Yours ain’t much better

That was a compliment!!!

Is it a UEFA category 3 or 4 stadium?

Category 3 at the moment but we are adding to it and by the 2019-2020 season it will be category 4 so we can host
UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE GROUP STAGE GAMES.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby punkha » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:03 pm

AEKARA wrote:

Yours ain’t much better

PMSL!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:32 pm

punkha wrote:
AEKARA wrote:

Yours ain’t much better

PMSL!

Without a roof it's about as much use in Ireland as an ashtray on a motorbike. You wouldn't have much change left out of €20M to build a stadium.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 am

My idea, based on the likelihood that the new owners have no intention of spending big sums on a flash ground, and any work would be piecemeal...

First:
- Install covered seating, with toilets underneath, corner flag to corner flag on the Carrick Road end, leaving enough room for vehicles to get to the YDC behind. Modify the entrance to the YDC to make it work.
- At the same time flatten the current away stand and... mound... and have new turnstiles coming into an outdoor fan zone with pop-up food, drinks (betting?) and club shop stalls that tie into the Lilywhite Lounge. The footprint of that area is deceptively big. Fan zone could be sponsored. Wheelchair using fans would be in front of the Lilywhite and that section of the main stand.
- Move away fans to the North East terrace, close off some or all of the Town End for segregation and get people to access the Shed via the Carrick Road end.

Second:
- Take off the roof of the Shed and the stanchions and continue the seating the length of the YDC with a new roof and no stanchions.
- If possible start the seating closer to the pitch and steeper to add seats and improve views.

Third:
- Flatten the north east terrace and existing toilet building and mirror the Carrick Road end, with the same covered seating corner to corner on the Town End with toilets underneath. This would be the new away fans stand, with adjustable segregation depending on numbers so that Dundalk fans can move into it from the Shed if they want.
- Install drop down cages and water cannon for Shamrock Rovers fans.
- In the newly flattened north east area put in a new building alongside the stand containing new dressing rooms.
- The turnstiles for the away fans and a small pop-up food area could go between this new building and the floodlight in that corner.

The stands at both ends obviously won't be too deep but I figure that's still a total of about 5,000 seats including the current stand. So suits us perfectly (I'd rather a near full 5,000 seats than a half empty 8,000). And if the work is done in three stages spread out over a couple of years with grants, it might not cause the owners to balk too much at the cost, or require us to close the ground.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:24 am

Water cannon and drop down cages in phase one please
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 am

It would be very difficult to relocate away fans from that current end of the ground. You’d have to consider coaches for bigger visits like Rovers and Bohs, it suits having them dropping off near Cheevers shop and to access ground they area. I’d move away fans to a modest new build with a roof behind Carrick end. Could still have plenty space for vehicle access behind it. Could be built in a fashion to add seating at later stage.

Current away end needs to knocked down full stop, even the area behind it looks just dreadful. There’s nothing good about it actually, but sure we all know that.

A new and bigger stand behind the town goal should be considered, maybe having this as a family area. For that to work you would need new toilets and catering facilities.

The shed needs to be knocked down too but obviously can only look at one side at a time and probably per year too.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Putting the away fans closest to the home team’s bar seems daft to me.

Return to “General Discussion”