Pat Hoban

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

FlynnOUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Pat Hoban

Postby FlynnOUFC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 am

Hi Oxford United fan here, just looking for a bit of info on our new signing. On paper it sounds like a great signing and hopefully he can continue his good form with us. I've tried asking family members who live in the area but they're all GAA followers more than real football :)

We play a passing game and have been playing some great stuff this season, but have lacked goals (despite having the leagues top scorer at the moment), and have also been playing this style with some players who arent cut out for it, but in our managers defence he was appointed with only a few days of the transfer window remaining and has since bought in some highly reputable backroom staff and the scouting network looks to have improved massively. The expectation at the club is big and from what I can gather money is available so I expect there to be more good signings over the next month. So what can we expect from Pat?

I look forward to getting up to one of your games next time i'm over, have planned to go a few times but it's always been out of season or you've been away. I ended up watching Newry City a few years ago though, it was the worst game i've ever seen in my life, I'm sure Dundalk are far better!!

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Pat Hoban

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 am

First off he doesn't like being called Pat, and he comes from a GAA (Hurling) background himself.

Hoban scores goals, mostly from inside the box, great header of the ball, can be used as a lone striker, he is physically strong, brings others into play.

He has a never say die attitude and has scored goals in some of our biggest/toughest games (League cup final, away to Hadjuk Split). He never goes missing in a big game.

Lovely guy, Patrick will give 100% and I hope (and expect) that he does really well

Look at Eoin Doyle at Chesterfield - another former 20 goal LOI player - he has scored 27 goals in 44 games.

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 am

You've got a very good player in Hoban. I've no doubt that he will be a regular scorer at Oxford. Like Oxford Dundalk play a passing game will a clear preference to playing from the back, through midfield, and to deliver the ball to the feet of the forwards. If that is the way Oxford play then PH will be right at home. Some on your forum have questioned the standard of the LOI. I believe it's a lot higher than your fans will give credit for. But that aside PH did play against Hajuk Split this season and he give their Central defence made up of former internationals a difficult time over the two legs, with him scoring in the away leg and very unfortunate to see a shot come off the upright in the home leg. I believe you got a £500,000 footballer for free. I am sure many Dundalk fans will be watching Oxford's progress for the rest of the season. Pity he can't play until 2015.. May even try to get to an Oxford match..
20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm

I think everyone is really interested to see how Hoban gets on. I think he has a great chance of making a big impact. He's a classic no 10, excellent at holding the ball up, then almost turns into the no 9 role once the side attack. He's good in the air, and his shot to goal ratio is very decent.

Anyone scoring 20 league goals and ending up joint top scorer should be taken very seriously. So should his performances in Europe and his goal away to Hajduk Split, who would surely be top championship level.

I'd rate this Dundalk side very highly, and this is to all local fans not just our friend from Oxford, we would comfortably perform in League 1 and we could challenge a lot of championship clubs and would probably beat any SPL side bar Celtic.

Back to our Oxford friend, what a pity you ended up watching Newry in the Irish League, I would rate that top divison as one of poorest in all of Europe and certainly only 2 or 3 would in any way challenge a League of Ireland premier side, a point backed up in recent setanta cup matches, we beat Linfield 6-4 on agg a good few years ago and we ended up 6th or 7th that season, I think they went on to win the league.

Hoban will be a great success and I'm sure everyone on here wishes him the best of luck as anyone who has met him will also know he's a top guy with a great attitude.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Hard to disagree with the lads above. Pa is a pure professional and will give you 100% each time he plays.
I haven't seen a player who can play so comfortably as a lone striker, hold up the ball, bring others into the game. His positional play is great and like all good strikers of being in the right place at the right time.
Then again we have smashing wingers who could cross the ball and deliver set pieces. Darren Meenan delivered something like 32 assists for us this season.

Best of luck with the Hobanator. He is an absolute gent and hard working. Oxford have a great guy and probably a lot more interested Irish eyes on their performances.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

FlynnOUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby FlynnOUFC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Cheers for the response, really looking forward to seeing him play now.

If any of you ever get over for a game, let me know and we can meet up for a pint. Pretty good Irish community here in Oxford too.

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Suddenly I'm an Oxford fan!
Best wishes to Oxford and to Pa Hoban
The Back of the Wall

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

Interesting to read that Fagan turned down a move to Chesterfield. They are in the same league as Oxford I think. Also reading between the lines in the Argus, it appears SK didn't agree it was the best move for Hoban to go to Oxford.

I`m begining to think he might have been better suited staying with us than going there, but it was his decision, and he's gone, so we have to accept it. However the 52 week contract and increase in wages were obviously the determining factors.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:17 pm

mike wrote:Interesting to read that Fagan turned down a move to Chesterfield. They are in the same league as Oxford I think. Also reading between the lines in the Argus, it appears SK didn't agree it was the best move for Hoban to go to Oxford.

I`m begining to think he might have been better suited staying with us than going there, but it was his decision, and he's gone, so we have to accept it. However the 52 week contract and increase in wages were obviously the determining factors.

Chesterfield are League 1. I would say there is more to that story than Fagan just deciding he is better off with Pats, doesn't add up for me.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Bad news for Hoban, very unfortunate start to his new career. Could be worse I suppose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30298298

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Pat Hoban due to play for Oxford development squad this evening

Meanwhile, former Dundalk man Pat Hoban will final get a chance to impress at Oxford United tonight when he lines out for their second string.

Joint top scorer in the Premier Division last season with Dundalk, Hoban has been unable to feature for League Two side Oxford after he picked up an ankle injury in training but he's now fit to play and will be involved with their development squad in a friendly this evening.

"Obviously a big one for us is the possibility of Pat Hoban getting some minutes, which is quite exciting. It will be good to see him on the pitch at some point," says Oxford manager Michael Appleton.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/sammo ... 03417.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

roger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby roger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:51 pm

The friendly game which he was to play in against Theme utd has been canceled due to bad weather

roger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby roger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 pm

hoban has just come on as a sub before halftime for oxford utd

ardee_lilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ardee_lilywhite » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:36 pm

they lost 3-2, sky sports need to learn his name they have him down as pat holborn in the team line up on the website

Lilywhite ii

Postby Lilywhite ii » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:16 pm

ardee_lilywhite wrote:they lost 3-2, sky sports need to learn his name they have him down as pat holborn in the team line up on the website

Maybe He's being sponsored by a rollie tobacco brand these days ;)

Return to “General Discussion”