Pat Hoban

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Pat Hoban

Postby dell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am

I wonder if that has to do with the recent publicity about his grandfather, bringing him to the attention of the FAI or was he already being watched?

howardl
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby howardl » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:42 pm

paul1 wrote:Howardl, I see ODowda is after been selected for the Ireland under 21 team.

Yes, It's been a good few weeks for him, 3yr contract then the call up
Dell...I dare say he was being watched for sometime.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 pm

Hmm its interesting if he was being watched as that is some amount of detail or research the FAI have done ie a L2 player has an Irish grandfather, keep an eye on him and call him up. Or more like thats just over estimating the level of effort by the FAI and they have a look at any irish sounding name just in case the could evoke the granny rule..sounds more like it anyhow.

HaylockGizAGoal
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HaylockGizAGoal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 am

Spiderman wrote:No am not his agent just fan and hes a player i admire along with finn and boyle, why aren't you up there ryan if you can score goals this isn't winter lge or mdl?? Dundalk is looking out for a striker bring your boots up tomorrow night :-)

I have been impressed by him too. The logical thing to do is to blood him in the EA Cup and to utilise him as a super sub. If he can earn his way into the starting lineup then he deserves to be there.

McMillian has put in enough shifts as a sub to deserve a run and a little patience and faith from fans. I admit I don't know if he can fill the void left by Hoban but I respect he has to be allowed to find his feet and contribute in his own way. Give him 5 games then judge.

plastikman
Reserves
Reserves

Postby plastikman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

Surely we need to Give him 10 games before we make up out minds. It was good enough for McCaffery !

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:12 pm

God we are a very hard bunch on here! If you look at McMillans Goal per Minute ratio, which I dont have to hand, its very impressive. Yes, he is a compleately different player to Hoban but he does know where the onion sack is as his record shows. He wont bring the midfield into play as much as Hoban did as they have different styles and attributes hence our style of play does need to be adjusted to suit. If Meenan can deliver a similar amount of assists as last season and McMillan can stay available, Ive no doubt he can score up to 20 goals. I aslo expect Finn to fill in some of the void with 12 or more which in turn should keep Towell hungry for goals also. With Horgan already chipping in, we once again should have plenty of goals from midfield. My major worry would be to lose McMillan for a time. While C OConnor is a wonderful prospect, I feel it may be a season too early for him.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Lads, I don't think anybody is saying McMillan is rubbish but he can not play as a target man. This isn't a knee jerk reaction we should have seen enough of him over the course of last season and in previous seasons in an opposition shirt to know this. We will need to change our tactics to accommodate him. The ball must always go to feet and over the top as any 50/50 ball won't be won by McMillan. From what I seen in presidents cup and reading and hearing reports we have persisted on hoofing balls forward, balls that Hoban would have the physicality to compete for and win. This needs to be eradicated from our game or we will struggle.
As for his goalscoring record last season. A lot of those goals were scored in cup competition against vastly inferior opposition or coming off the bench as a sub when the opposition defenders had been battered by hoban for 70 minutes :) but he had a good goalscoring record for UCD and you'd imagine the service he will receive from our midfield will be infinitely better. Only time will tell if Kenny's faith in him is another one of his masterstrokes.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

HaylockGizAGoal
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HaylockGizAGoal » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 am

Louth4sam wrote:Lads, I don't think anybody is saying McMillan is rubbish but he can not play as a target man. This isn't a knee jerk reaction we should have seen enough of him over the course of last season and in previous seasons in an opposition shirt to know this. We will need to change our tactics to accommodate him. The ball must always go to feet and over the top as any 50/50 ball won't be won by McMillan. From what I seen in presidents cup and reading and hearing reports we have persisted on hoofing balls forward, balls that Hoban would have the physicality to compete for and win. This needs to be eradicated from our game or we will struggle.
As for his goalscoring record last season. A lot of those goals were scored in cup competition against vastly inferior opposition or coming off the bench as a sub when the opposition defenders had been battered by hoban for 70 minutes :) but he had a good goalscoring record for UCD and you'd imagine the service he will receive from our midfield will be infinitely better. Only time will tell if Kenny's faith in him is another one of his masterstrokes.

Few things.
McMillian is a different player and we will have to adapt to it. I agree some of the balls look as if the team has forgotten Hoban has left.

Hoban scored a lot of goals against weaker opposition and in games where we won by comfortable margins. I can actually recall a lot of tight games we won where Hoban didn't score at all. So I don't think that criticism of McMillian's excellent ratio being against 'vastly inferior opposition' sticks.

McM although slightly smaller in stature (and admittedly not as much an aerial man) has been getting stuck in. He (not maliciously) mangled the Longford 'keeper last week and was really getting about up in Derry tonight. He has had 2-3 shots denied by excellent goalkeeping...he needs to net one and they will come I think...but has also been involved in the majority of the goals we scored so far (assist tonight).

I'd like a player like Hoban to be still available. But how readily available are they? I think he was an exceptional find rather than a 'type' of player you can just pick up like a product from a shelf. We can't keep comparing McM to Hoban in like for like terms. We were very luck to have a striker like Hoban, we are still very lucky to have a striker of McM's quality as a fall-back. There were many games last season where Hoban was the difference...but also many games where we didn't really see him and McM desrved a run. I always felt McM was more effective against Sligo than Pa for example.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

11 & 0 for the Hobanator

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30 pm

This is a very disappointing start for him. It's a real pity he has not been able to score yet, but the form of his club should also be a worry, they are in a dreadful run really and looking at the table tonight they are by no means safe from relegation to non league. I don't think they will go down, but they have to start winning some games.

I can't help thinking this was not the best choice for Hoban.

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:15 am

While I am sure it is disappointing, going by the updates on social media he appears to be playing ok and is mainly left on the park while others, that have been among the goals, are substituted. His name features quite prominently in updates with winning free-kicks, corners or assists. But at the end of the day he is a striker and will have to starting hitting the back of the net. Hopefully when the first does arrive, many more will follow shortly after.
20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Am beginning to think pats move is not working out i hope he bags a goal soon if not he may be dropped and might struggle to get back into the squad plus Oxford will be out looking for new players in couple months and that could spell bad news for the hobanator if he doesn't start scoring goals and more worrying for us at Dundalk his replacement cant score either mc millian needs to find the net soon because its only going to be a matter of time before his lack of goals catches up on us hopefully he starts scoring this Friday night.

howardl
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby howardl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:10 pm

I wonder if Hoban fancies playing in non league, cos that's where were heading if he doesn't buck his ideas up and score a few...(not solely blaming him.)

howardl
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby howardl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:18 pm

I do realise we need a midfielder to help our strikers...so not having a go at any of them really, just frustrated.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:44 pm

He's done it!!!! Finally gets his 1st goal against Carlise
King Kenny!

Return to “General Discussion”