Pat Hoban

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Pat Hoban

Postby micls » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am

lilywhite66 wrote:I think on different record Hoban is ahead of Seani Maguires excellent goal scoring run of last season that won Cork the title before his departure to preston but not sure.

He is. Seani had 20 in 21 before his move. Hoban passed that out last week. At this stage its free money betting on Hoban to score and Dundalk - 1! Incredible form from him in fairness.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 am

I didn't think anyone would get close to, nevermind surpass, Maguire's record with Cork last season. He was unplayable against before move to Preston, and appears to have gone up a notch since then.

Pat is twice the striker he was in 2013 and 2014.

How it didn't work out for him in England, I'll never understand.

Guess he just loves it at the Town.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm

We create a lot more chances than Cork did last season. Not to take away from Hoban at all as he still has to find the net and the record books will having him up there regardless but Maguire carried Cork a lot more than Hoban has to with Dundalk. Maguire was creating a lot (penos included) without the level of team contribution that the front men at Dundalk get. The way things went for Crok after Maguire left and what a lot of Cork fans say that Maguire was the difference last season between an almost run away win and it being in the balance in August on.

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm

dell wrote:We create a lot more chances than Cork did last season. Not to take away from Hoban at all as he still has to find the net and the record books will having him up there regardless but Maguire carried Cork a lot more than Hoban has to with Dundalk. Maguire was creating a lot (penos included) without the level of team contribution that the front men at Dundalk get. The way things went for Crok after Maguire left and what a lot of Cork fans say that Maguire was the difference last season between an almost run away win and it being in the balance in August on.

Seanis the best player I've ever seen at City. His all round game is incredible and I think he'll prove his quality at a higher level, as shown last season.

That doesn't take away from Hobans goalscoring form this season being excellent though.

There have been players through the years who are fantastic at LOI level but couldn't make the step up, or circumstances were unlucky when they tried.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Martin Reillys 18 or so league goals in 2000/01 was in the FD, so cant really compare that. I’d agree Maguire was the best certainly Ive seen in my time in LOI that 3/4 season he had with Cork in 2017, and he wasn’t too bad either in 2016 when they finished second.

Might sound strange to say but I’d still no issues with him leaving, as he couldn’t get into the double winning team of 2015 and we won the league with McMillan in 2016 when he moved on. He just didn’t look the ticket, but Christ he fairly improved in 2016 and was just superb in 2017.

Hoban is a totally different player, but being on 21 league goals and still 11 games to go is some going, and he’s just on fire, seems to be getting sharper and better too.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

White Horse wrote:I didn't think anyone would get close to, nevermind surpass, Maguire's record with Cork last season. He was unplayable against before move to Preston, and appears to have gone up a notch since then.

Hes having a great season, far surpassing what anyone could have reasonably expected given his record in England, but he hasn't surpassed what Maguire achieved. He has scored more goals, but he has also played more games. As micls pointed out Maguire got 20 goals in 21 games. Hoban now has 21 in 25. He has a real chance at catching Towell and scoring 30 goals but he would need to score 34/35 goals this season to have a comparable record with Magure.

Thats not to take away from his season. Hes been incredible. I just think its important to highlight how good Seani was last season.

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Quayman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm

mike wrote:Martin Reillys 18 or so league goals in 2000/01 was in the FD, so cant really compare that. I’d agree Maguire was the best certainly Ive seen in my time in LOI that 3/4 season he had with Cork in 2017, and he wasn’t too bad either in 2016 when they finished second.

Might sound strange to say but I’d still no issues with him leaving, as he couldn’t get into the double winning team of 2015 and we won the league with McMillan in 2016 when he moved on. He just didn’t look the ticket, but Christ he fairly improved in 2016 and was just superb in 2017.

Hoban is a totally different player, but being on 21 league goals and still 11 games to go is some going, and he’s just on fire, seems to be getting sharper and better too.

I remember when maguire first came in. Got a few sub run outs in dead rubber games. Think we were playing sligo.maguire missed two absolute sitters. One he somehow hit the post in the six yard box with an empty net gapping.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:10 pm

el-pietro wrote:
White Horse wrote:I didn't think anyone would get close to, nevermind surpass, Maguire's record with Cork last season. He was unplayable against before move to Preston, and appears to have gone up a notch since then.

Hes having a great season, far surpassing what anyone could have reasonably expected given his record in England, but he hasn't surpassed what Maguire achieved. He has scored more goals, but he has also played more games. As micls pointed out Maguire got 20 goals in 21 games. Hoban now has 21 in 25. He has a real chance at catching Towell and scoring 30 goals but he would need to score 34/35 goals this season to have a comparable record with Magure.

Thats not to take away from his season. Hes been incredible. I just think its important to highlight how good Seani was last season.

You can't say he needs to get 34/35 to be comparable with Maguire. Who knows if Maguire would have continued scoring from July onwards the way he did before July? No one knows so Maguire had 20 goals which Pat has surpassed. So now he is chasing Towell's record and more importantly Joey Donnelly's all time goal scoring record for Dundalk.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Uriel
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Uriel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm

el-pietro wrote:

I think I recall reading he had a very similar goals to minutes ratio to Maguire. Bear in mind Pat was subbed early a lot in many games. Also league is arguably tougher this year with the likes of Drogheda/Finn Harps gone

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

el-pietro wrote:Hes having a great season, far surpassing what anyone could have reasonably expected given his record in England, but he hasn't surpassed what Maguire achieved. He has scored more goals, but he has also played more games. As micls pointed out Maguire got 20 goals in 21 games. Hoban now has 21 in 25. He has a real chance at catching Towell and scoring 30 goals but he would need to score 34/35 goals this season to have a comparable record with Magure.

There is an insecurity around many Cork City supporters that drives a fixation with trying to manufacture flattering comparisons with others in any way possible.

Sean Maguire is a fine footballer, was instrumental in Cork winning their first league title last year (3rd title if you include the Arkaga and previous regimes), and has a fine goal scoring record. Based on James Rogers stats his goal per minutes ratio of last seasons and Pat Hobans from this seasons are very similar.

However, here are the facts on the top league goals scorers of the last 10 season

20 - Sean Maguire - 2017
18 - Sean Maguire - 2016
25 - Richie Towell - 2015
20 - Pat Hoban & Christy Fagan - 2014
18 - Rory Patterson - 2013
22 - Gary Twigg - 2012
22 - Eamon Zayed - 2011
20 - Gary Twigg - 2010
24 - Gary Twigg - 2009
16 - Mark Farron - 2008

Currently Pat Hoban has 21 league goals and still has a number of players ahead of him - Sean Maguire is not one of them.

If he keeps his form going he could even pass out Richie Towell's phenomenal total from 2015
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby el-pietro » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
el-pietro wrote:

You can't say he needs to get 34/35 to be comparable with Maguire. Who knows if Maguire would have continued scoring from July onwards the way he did before July? No one knows so Maguire had 20 goals which Pat has surpassed. So now he is chasing Towell's record and more importantly Joey Donnelly's all time goal scoring record for Dundalk.

You are right, we don't know what Seani would have done but I think its fair to assume that barring injury he would have achieved something similar considering the form he was in and what he achieved at Preston.

Comparisons are meaningless anyway but what we do know is that Seani got his 20 goals in 21 games and Hoban took a little (not a lot) longer.

I think Hoban will beat those mentioned records relatively easily barring injury etc. Hes been outstanding. You'd have to wonder what happened over, he clearly has the talent.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm

el-pietro wrote:Comparisons are meaningless anyway but what we do know is that Seani got his 20 goals in 21 games and Hoban took a little (not a lot) longer.

Your a gas man - Comparisons are meaningless, unless they suit your argument!

el-pietro wrote: Hoban now has 21 in 25.

You have been corrected on this previously, yet still choose to trot out incorrect stats for Hoban appearances this season.

Perhaps you should try to enjoy the special Champions League day for Cork today instead of making spurious comparison between a former Cork player and the current top marksman in the league
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
el-pietro wrote:Comparisons are meaningless anyway but what we do know is that Seani got his 20 goals in 21 games and Hoban took a little (not a lot) longer.

Your a gas man - Comparisons are meaningless, unless they suit your argument!

el-pietro wrote: Hoban now has 21 in 25.

You have been corrected on this previously, yet still choose to trot out incorrect stats for Hoban appearances this season.

Perhaps you should try to enjoy the special Champions League day for Cork today instead of making spurious comparison between a former Cork player and the current top marksman in the league

Maybe you could stop making a show of yourself on foot.ie on a regular basis Ezeikial!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:Maybe you could stop making a show of yourself on foot.ie on a regular basis Ezeikial!

Your concern for my image or reputation (or at least that of my avatar) is truly touching.

If you have a problem with a post on some other forum or social media site, it is probably more appropriate to communicate there via a post or direct message.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Anyway....Hoban has a real determination about him since he returned, almost an anger. He isnt the nice guy on the pitch he was before. Rightly so too as he has a point to prove. Management changes at Oxford, injury and a system that didnt suit him meant that he lost his way. I'm not sure why Oxford signed him really bar that he was a bargain that they might be able to sell on within their own level for a small profit. Good that he is back with that steeliness.

Return to “General Discussion”