Ireland

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ireland

Postby seand » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 am

Keane deserved better, but Oman are absolute muck, whatever political reason we have for playing them.

Rogers, too, deserves better. He's been asked to make a sacrifice, compromise his work for his club (because Forde is prioritising his fourth division club) and to travel to Serbia to be a third choice keeper and they won't even give him 10 minutes against fukking Oman? I'd be telling them to stick Serbia up their hole, but I'd fully understand if he still wants to tag along. They've shown complete disrespect for a man who has helped them out time and again.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 am

I have to say it was extremely disappointing that O'Neill didn't put Rogers on for at least 10 mins, it was 4-0 and nothing was at risk. I think he is also the only member of the squad who played in the CL this year too. The only other Irish players who played CL this season that I can think of are Eoighan O'Connell with Celtic, uncapped at senior level and Cillian Sheridan, is he still with Apoell in Cyprus?

It's still a great experience for Rogers, and he'll benefit from the pre match and match day preparation in Serbia which is a competitive game remember, however he has no chance of making an appearance, last night was his opportunity and it's a real pity he wasn't afforded that chance.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:08 am

I think it is a bit of a token gesture from O'Neill with Rogers now... After Serbia he has been involved in the squad for 4 games now... Ok fair enough he isn't just giving out a token cap but still our club's plans are being disrupted for Tuesday night. Also I thought apart from the crowd, that Robbie Keane deserved better from O'Neill. I know players get taken off in their final game to receive the acclaim they richly deserve, but for me this should have happened after 85 minutes, not 55. It is Keane's final ever appearance for Ireland, the greatest goal scorer that Ireland will ever have. Honestly doubt his record will ever be beaten, and for me he deserved better last night.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:17 am

Thought Rogers should of started. There would be. I thing he would of learned by playing Westwood or Randolph.

On the crowd while it was poor Oman are awful and for €25 in it was too much.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: I know players get taken off in their final game to receive the acclaim they richly deserve, but for me this should have happened after 85 minutes, not 55.

I suspect that LA Galaxy may have requested that he didn't spend more than a certain time on the pitch. They are the ones paying his salary.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby GC. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 am

Johnny Guitar wrote:On the crowd while it was poor Oman are awful and for €25 in it was too much.

€15 in and it may have been a sell out.

grayzer
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 am

GC. wrote:
Johnny Guitar wrote:On the crowd while it was poor Oman are awful and for €25 in it was too much.

€15 in and it may have been a sell out.

Doubt it.

The public haven't got an appetite for these friendly games - especially against such muck opposition. Would have fancied myself getting a game with them last night, I'm easily just as bad as the rest of them!

The sooner these friendlies are scrapped for the UEFA Nations League or whatever they call it the better. Every game worth points so it will be interesting.

I've a season ticket myself and I wasn't even bothering only for the wee fella got an extra week off school so headed up to see Robbie's farewell. Glad I did, took his goal very well. Very disappointed Gary didn't even get 10 mins at the end. Then again, what if O'Neill played him late on and he picked up a bad injury?
In Kenny we trust.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Looking at this from the other side of the coin-

Gary might prefer not to have a "token" cap.

The third keeper has no chance of playing once the warmup is over bar a catastrophe which sees both keepers injured before the substitutions start. This is always the case.

Gary has played more high level football in the last 2 months than Randolph and Westwood together. They need the game time.

Which brings me nicely on to Robbie Keane. He was lucky to have a nice soft friendly as his farewell. Quite often players "retire" because they haven't made the last 3 squads. Monday is a big game. O'Neill needed game time for his forwards.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Whatever about Randolph & Westwood needing game time surely it wouldn't have been much for Martin O' Neill to have given Gary Rogers the last ten minutes on the park. If nothing else it was an opportunity missed to show even a little recognition to the League of Ireland. I've been an admirer of Martin O' Neill ever since his time with Celtic but this is one time I'd question his judgment.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Michael O'Connor scores the winner in the Ireland u-19 international against Austria

Rep of Ireland 1
Austria 0
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:08 pm

According to Philip Quinn at the Irish Mail:

O'Neill reveals that Daryl Horgan would have made ROI provisional squad but for Dundalk's fixture congestion.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/779262109825769472
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Ezeikial wrote:According to Philip Quinn at the Irish Mail:

O'Neill reveals that Daryl Horgan would have made ROI provisional squad but for Dundalk's fixture congestion.

https://twitter.com/Quinner61/status/779262109825769472

Maybe I'm wrong but this sounds like a bit of excuse as to why MON isn't picking any LOI players, "I would've picked him but he's a bit busy at the minute".
King Kenny!

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Yeah complete bollox. O'Neill has his shite. Pick em ffs and he's not good enough in training, then at least you've taken a punt

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:21 am

Daryl Horgan tells Ireland boss Martin O’Neill: I can make an impact — and so can my team-mates

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/ ... -597361296

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:04 am

Horgan and Boyle in Republic of Ireland Squad brilliant news.

Return to “General Discussion”