Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:27 pm

DEAL IN BALANCE Dundalk in talks with former striker Pat Hoban as they look to strengthen for Champions League
Stephen Kenny has until Thursday to register the 25-year-old to face Rosenborg

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/12 ... ns-league/

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 am

The options for Hoban may be narrowing if he is to make a return to the league. It would be good to see him back and hopefully can recapture the form he showed here but not at any cost. McMillan will start against Rosenborg, the league title is gone, 2nd or a European slot for next season is almost done so no being held to ransom needs to be humoured.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 am

It's a buyers market. Anto Flood and Aaron Greene have just become available and Ciaran O'Connor is back with the club, so it would seem Hoban will need to agree to our terms.

His stock has dropped massively since he's been away and he has struggled in both league two and the conference.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am

Ezeikial wrote:No goalkeeper needed

Stephen Kenny feels Dundalk keeper Gary Rogers is back to his best
The Lillywhites stopper came in for criticism for his performances earlier in the season but his manager has hit back in his defence

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/12 ... -his-best/

I'd agree, I was one of his biggest critics on here last season and i think it was warranted. However he has been solid this season and one of our better performers. I'm not sure if it was a concentration thing, as he seems much much better now in front of a shaky defence than he did in front of a solid defence.

I'd still be looking at next season. Would love to see O'Malley in from Pats as he's the best young keeper in the league and let them battle for the position.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 am

Rogers has made huge improvements to his game during the impressive 6 or 7 clean sheet period. I was only talking about it at the Finn Harps game, his confidence is back, picking high balls out, then his quick movement to accurately throw it out especially on his right side to quickly start an attack is a nice addition to his game. He looks sharper, fitter and more in control, great to have the old Gary back!

I'd also agree on Hoban, his options are running out it would seem, and there is no reason we should need to pay over the odds, good player yes, but as stated above by Dell, McMillan will be starting v Rosenberg, so its not as if its absolutely essential to get him signed, but it would be useful to have him back all the same, especially for the re-building job for next season.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:21 pm

If you believe John Caulfied, quoted in the Mirror today, their signing of Kieran Sadlier is their last of the transfer window
Having landed long-time target Kieran Sadlier from Sligo Rovers yesterday, Caulfield claims his business in the transfer market is done.

Greene and Douglas have been sounded out but Caulfield said: “Our budget is done and that's where we're at. I don't expect us to sign anyone else.”

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/ ... e-10732505

While he may be flying kites, it indicates a clear run at signing Hoban if it is what SK wants.

I would still not be surprised if Aaron Greene landed at Oriel Park this week. In many ways he would be more suitable to our immediate needs, providing much needed options on the wing and cover at centre forward
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:08 pm

We have 6 wingers. Connolly, Duffy, Mountney, McGrath, Kinsella, Carlton. Even discounting the 2 young lads, we don't need any cover there as McEleney and Stewart can also do a job on the wing.
Sounds like this Greene transfer makes sense only to you Ezeikial. I would be shocked if we signed him.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:23 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:We have 6 wingers. Connolly, Duffy, Mountney, McGrath, Kinsella, Carlton. Even discounting the 2 young lads, we don't need any cover there as McEleney and Stewart can also do a job on the wing.
Sounds like this Greene transfer makes sense only to you Ezeikial. I would be shocked if we signed him.

In my view the lack of penetration from the wings has been among the biggest reasons why we have had such comparatively poor results this season (we were below 2 points per match average until last week).

Right wing was an area that needed strengthening from last season and that was before we lost Horgan on the left.

I am delighted that Connolly has signed, but none of the 5 others you mentioned have produced the goods on a consistent basis so far this season. I remain optimistic about Jamie McGrath's development, while also hopeful that at some point in the future Michael Duffy might come good.

If it is our ambition this season to progress in Europe, win the FAI Cup or to reclaim our league title in 2018, the crop of wingers we have seen at Oriel so far are unlikely to be good enough. Aaron Greene may or may not be the answer, but please don't fool yourself into thinking there is no problem!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm

I believe our biggest issue has been slower movement of the ball in possession and lack of pressing when we don't have it. It's why we look so toothless in our bigger games. The wings have definitely been part of that. Duffy is good at keeping possession, but he's slow to show for it and slow to do anything with it.

But personally I think central midfield has been our biggest issue. Clifford, unfortunately, is the signing that went wrong. We miss Finn and O'Donnell is crocked. We need a top-class replacement for O'Donnell that can complement Benson. Someone who can set the tempo and drive the team forward. A heartbeat for the team.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 pm

dell wrote:
White Horse wrote:Based on reports in the media, their sugar daddy had second thoughts.

And the second thoughts kicked in when Wicklow County Council refused to rezone the Carlisle Grounds no matter what was offered in terms of a new ground on land that was less of a premium to a property developer. Maybe some lessons have been learnt by past greed and land grabs at the cost of recreational zoned areas. Harps, while not losing Finn Park until their 'new' ground is built/completed are still over a decade waiting on Stranrolar in exchange for their current prime patch in Ballybofey town centre. I dont get the impression that the moneymen behind this fiasco at Bray would be so patient if they had gotten the old wink and nod that would have happened with councils a decade ago.

El Paso has described it well as financial doping - it may not be breaking rules per se but the duped (the ridiculously flawed) licencing process and the spirit in which that process is intended. They have dished out contracts of 2 years, 52 weeks full time, to players that they now suddenly no longer can honour and this was suspected as the outcome. If they close up shop and results are expunged the likes of Sligo, on the back of a good win and a turn around in fortunes, are suddenly bottom of the table due to the way the fixture list fell and the results they fought and earned against a club that shoudnt realistically be 3rd in the league. We havent started to pony up for a batch of completely fully time 52 week contracts and ye we are supposed to be the millionaire club these days.

The whole thing remains a property play.

I'm convinced this was always the plan - throw out some big contracts, 'prove' that Bray can't sustain a competitive club, then pull the plug before you lose much money and go back to Wicklow CoCo and say "we tried, it's a waste of time". Gerry Mulvey has always known how to make a quick buck in Irish football (one of very few).

Incidentally, also shows why we shouldn't give a shite about '5 year plans'. Bray's much lauded one didn't last pissing time.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:42 am

Ezeikial wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:We have 6 wingers. Connolly, Duffy, Mountney, McGrath, Kinsella, Carlton. Even discounting the 2 young lads, we don't need any cover there as McEleney and Stewart can also do a job on the wing.

In my view the lack of penetration from the wings has been among the biggest reasons why we have had such comparatively poor results this season (we were below 2 points per match average until last week).

Right wing was an area that needed strengthening from last season and that was before we lost Horgan on the left.

I am delighted that Connolly has signed, but none of the 5 others you mentioned have produced the goods on a consistent basis so far this season. I remain optimistic about Jamie McGrath's development, while also hopeful that at some point in the future Michael Duffy might come good.

If it is our ambition this season to progress in Europe, win the FAI Cup or to reclaim our league title in 2018, the crop of wingers we have seen at Oriel so far are unlikely to be good enough. Aaron Greene may or may not be the answer, but please don't fool yourself into thinking there is no problem!

I'm not fooled by anything - typical response by yourself, dripping in arrogance and condescension. I am merely stating an opinion that signing a winger mid season when we already have 6 on the books is unlikely.

Michael Duffy is doing fine. 5 goals (same as 40k man Connolly who you are delighted with) and at least that in assists (3 in his last 2 games) is reasonable for the first half of a season with a new club. Horgan did not set the world alight in his first season with us.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

I'm not fooled by anything - typical response by yourself, dripping in arrogance and condescension. I am merely stating an opinion that signing a winger mid season when we already have 6 on the books is unlikely.

Michael Duffy is doing fine. 5 goals (same as 40k man Connolly who you are delighted with) and at least that in assists (3 in his last 2 games) is reasonable for the first half of a season with a new club. Horgan did not set the world alight in his first season with us.

Apologies if you felt my response was in some way disrespectful or discourteous - it was not my intention.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting that quantity is more important than quality, or if you think we have sufficient proven quality in the wide positions already. I don't agree with either assertion, but respect your opinion if you think otherwise

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 am

Proven quality is an interesting choice of words. Duffy has proven it at Derry, albeit over a short period of time. Mountney was a core member of 3 in a row champions, but has his limitations. McGrath hasn't really proven anything yet and I suspect he is a future number 10 and not an out and out winger.

I think you should be very confident about the future of McGrath & Duffy rather than hopeful and optimistic :)

I'd prefer us to sign Bolger (next season) or Hoban over any more wide men. But then again SK loves his wingers.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Proven quality is an interesting choice of words. Duffy has proven it at Derry, albeit over a short period of time. Mountney was a core member of 3 in a row champions, but has his limitations. McGrath hasn't really proven anything yet and I suspect he is a future number 10 and not an out and out winger.

I don't disagree with any of that.

None of the 3 you mention (or the other 2 you listed previously - Carlton Ubaezuonu and Stephen Kinsella) have consistently provided what we need on the wings so far this season.

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
I think you should be very confident about the future of McGrath & Duffy rather than hopeful and optimistic :)

I'd prefer us to sign Bolger (next season) or Hoban over any more wide men. But then again SK loves his wingers.

Both Bolger and Hoban would be excellent additions, but neither of these will solve the very obvious limitations we have in the wide positions

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am

As really a local that was available in the off season Im surprised the Conor McCormack always gets overlooked as an option as a combatitive midfield option. Maybe Sheilds has that position locked down but with the injury prone O'Donnell i'd have thought that McCormack as a proven and versatile player (playing centre half for Cork in Iceland last week) would be more feasible as a signing. I dont think Bolger would be let move to us by Cork as he was here before without stepping up in contrast to his displays at his last 2 clubs. Of course this woudnt be an issue if Cilfford was living up to his potential. How can a player slide from pushing in to contention for Chelsea albeit in League Cup type games to a tier below Conference and with getting a good chance to rebuild his career with CL league football on offer, hasnt seemed to step up either. Id like to think he has been hampered by a nagging injury and can come good yet as he has the potential to be a great player for us if he gets the head right.
Hoban built his reputation at Dundalk from Salthill Devon type level, the move didnt work for him at Conference level either but he got his payday and signing on fee at Oxford so why he would hold out for a top wage when performance related bonuses are the minimum he should demand on top of a fair wage when he has to prove himself again. He is be jumping from the 5th tier football in the UK to CL football if he signs and can ask what he likes in wages but not offered any more than what the majority of out squad players are on until he shows his worth like his previous spell here. No doubt it is agent driven demands and hopefully with Sadlier going to Cork his options have narrowed with no playing one off against the other. Pats might lossen the purse strings mind in a desperate attempt to avoid the drop.

Return to “General Discussion”