Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: RE: Re: Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Postby boixos nois » Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 am

Sneachta wrote:
boixos nois wrote:I don't see Stewart as an out and out striker. He has the skill to play as back up to MCEleny.

Don't agree with you at all there

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ok I'm not saying he has is David Silva, but from what I've seen he has a football brain and is capable of linking up play. I'd keep him as a squad player who could push for a starting place when fully up to speed.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 am

mike wrote: I think its time to admit Kilduff just isn't working out

Most have reached this conclusion some time ago
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am

boixos nois wrote: Ok I'm not saying he has is David Silva, but from what I've seen he has a football brain and is capable of linking up play. I'd keep him as a squad player who could push for a starting place when fully up to speed.

Crikey - we are 13 league games in and he was signed 3 months ago in February.
How long before he is fully up to speed?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 am

Isnt Ciarán a permanent Rovers player and Michael out on loan. Hoban we know what we are getting and what he is capable of so it does seem a no brainer if his wage demands are reasonable and the budget is there. I want Kilduff to come good but there is a point where ye have to say Djemba Djemba and cut yer losses!

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 am

Ezeikial wrote:
boixos nois wrote: Ok I'm not saying he has is David Silva, but from what I've seen he has a football brain and is capable of linking up play. I'd keep him as a squad player who could push for a starting place when fully up to speed.

Crikey - we are 13 league games in and he was signed 3 months ago in February.
How long before he is fully up to speed?

I think we have been finding that it is taking 12 months to see the best out of players that sign with us be it getting up to speed with the strength and conditioning and the tactical system we use. Horgan's first season he drifted in and out of games. Second season he was on the verge of a call up to the national squad while he was still playing LoI. Towell really kicked on in yr 2 and McEleney has added pace this season so maybe the same will be the case with Stewert and the latter part of this season and then next season he will be at full pelt.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat May 13, 2017 1:20 am

Ezeikial wrote:
mike wrote: I think its time to admit Kilduff just isn't working out

Most have reached this conclusion some time ago

I was being kind to the guy. Problem is we are stuck with him & his wages until end of season.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 pm

i think you are being overly critical on Kilduff last night. he got bugger all game time and he spun on a shot and it was deflected for a corner. was it McGrath that hit a shot straight at the keeper from a closer distance? little perspective guys. Killer probably isn't the answer but I think he is being singled out now. what did McMillan do tonight? he was absolute muck.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat May 13, 2017 2:16 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:i think you are being overly critical on Kilduff last night. he got bugger all game time and he spun on a shot and it was deflected for a corner. was it McGrath that hit a shot straight at the keeper from a closer distance? little perspective guys. Killer probably isn't the answer but I think he is being singled out now. what did McMillan do tonight? he was absolute muck.

Niall would agree that McMillan was poor last night but Kilduff has been poor since we've signed him. I said he was a panic buy at the time and he has done nothing since then to change my mind. Never forget that we kept him over Maguire
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Kilduff scored the winner against Maccabi and the equaliser against AZ. For those goals alone I love him. I agree he doesn't offer enough but I don't like the way he's being singled out - he's not a one up front striker, which is what our system requires.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bogger » Sat May 13, 2017 3:13 pm

We havent bad strikers , we have bad service coming to them.. especially this season... huffing the ball of them.. ya can't expect much... but when we were whipping the balls in with Horgan and Meenen... the goals were flying in...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 13, 2017 4:50 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:i think you are being overly critical on Kilduff last night. he got bugger all game time and he spun on a shot and it was deflected for a corner. was it McGrath that hit a shot straight at the keeper from a closer distance? little perspective guys. Killer probably isn't the answer but I think he is being singled out now. what did McMillan do tonight? he was absolute muck.

El Paso wrote:Kilduff scored the winner against Maccabi and the equaliser against AZ. For those goals alone I love him. I agree he doesn't offer enough but I don't like the way he's being singled out - he's not a one up front striker, which is what our system requires.

You have both suggested that he is being "singled out" implying that he is the only player to attract negative comments. That's simply not true.

Even if he were the only player to attract criticism, the valid question to my mind is whether any criticism is justified or not.

The main recent commentary in this thread has simply being an opinion that Kilduff is not the answer to our striking needs.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I would love to hear the argument

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:12 pm

ezeikial yes we all know that in football you are only as good as your last game. But the fact remains that kilduff gave us 2 of the biggest and best moments in the history of our club. And for those 2 goals alone he deserves a bit more respect than he gets. I don't think he is the answer to our striker problems, nor do I think McMillan is. Do you? But I do think Kilduff gets more abuse than anyone else on this forum. Can't comment on if Stewart is the answer as we haven't seen enough of him as yet. The fact remains that the quality of service to our strikers simply isn't at the same level as previous seasons. And therein lies our problem. People are saying Shields was outstanding last night, but look at how many sloppy and poor passes he gave, or passes he gave straight to the Sligo players. Yet he gets no abuse whatsoever. McMillan was brutal last night did absolutely nothing, yet gets a standing ovation. Seriously!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 pm

We shouldn't assume Hoban will sign for us just because he's a former player and in the stand last night he's good mates with some of the lads still I believe and was only visting, I hear Caulfield has Hoban on his radar also to replace McGuire when he goes in July.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 13, 2017 5:28 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:ezeikial yes we all know that in football you are only as good as your last game. But the fact remains that kilduff gave us 2 of the biggest and best moments in the history of our club. And for those 2 goals alone he deserves a bit more respect than he gets. I don't think he is the answer to our striker problems, nor do I think McMillan is. Do you? But I do think Kilduff gets more abuse than anyone else on this forum. Can't comment on if Stewart is the answer as we haven't seen enough of him as yet. The fact remains that the quality of service to our strikers simply isn't at the same level as previous seasons. And therein lies our problem. People are saying Shields was outstanding last night, but look at how many sloppy and poor passes he gave, or passes he gave straight to the Sligo players. Yet he gets no abuse whatsoever. McMillan was brutal last night did absolutely nothing, yet gets a standing ovation. Seriously!

Ciaran Kilduff's goals last season were invaluable and he displayed tremendous courage and commitment in playing through injuries and recovering from some serious knocks. That deserves respect and recognition.

Some people have been forthright in their criticism of him previously, but there has been no abuse of the player in recent posts on this thread, merely some opinions that he is not good enough.

Whether McMillan or Stewart play poorly or brilliantly is really irrelevant in any discussion on the merits of Kilduff and whether or not he is the answer to our striking needs

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:05 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:People are saying Shields was outstanding last night, but look at how many sloppy and poor passes he gave, or passes he gave straight to the Sligo players. Yet he gets no abuse whatsoever. McMillan was brutal last night did absolutely nothing, yet gets a standing ovation. Seriously!

Strongly disagree here. Next to Benson, Shields was MOTM, he's getting back to his old self, intercepting & breaking down Sligo moving forward. I see him holding his position on the team & going forward is key to what we hope to achieve. Regarding Mc Millan, he never stopped running al night & continues to give options for the midfield coming forward, he was entitled to a standing ovation last night as much as any other player for his efforts.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Return to “General Discussion”