Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Rumours/Transfers/Renewals 2017

Postby The Undertaker » Sat May 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Ah here, Shields was MOTM next to Benson? People are deluded. He was shocking. Only reason he played was because O'Donnell wasn't fit. Benson was outstanding but McMillan was poor too. Both players didn't have a pre-season tbf but they have been woeful this year and Shields has been one of our consistently poor performers. Some fans seem to applaud players who run around, make mistakes and look busy. I don't get it. On the topic of Hoban, no thanks. We already have three strikers with no speed and we don't need a fourth. Gaffney is who we should be after. He would suit us perfectly. Some of the criticism of Kilduff is over the top too I feel with some people having a personal vendetta against him which is scandalous and as for people saying he was chosen over Maguire, not entirely true. Maguire was given the option to stay at the club but chose to depart...and on the basis of the six months he had here and the effort that he showed he was lucky to have even been offered something here beyond.

There ain't no grave can hold my body down.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 pm

The Undertaker wrote:Maguire was given the option to stay at the club but chose to depart...and on the basis of the six months he had here and the effort that he showed he was lucky to have even been offered something here beyond.

People seem to forget how poor Maguire was in his time at Oriel. He looked miles off the pace and very like the player he was at Sligo. He deserves great credit for putting his game back together in his time with the langers, but there was no sign of that player when he was here.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 am

The Undertaker wrote: Gaffney is who we should be after. He would suit us perfectly.

Gaffney is not available
Rory Gaffney pens news Bristol Rovers deal after being linked with move back to Ireland

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foot ... nked-57823

The Undertaker wrote: Some of the criticism of Kilduff is over the top too I feel with some people having a personal vendetta against him which is scandalous

As far as I can see, none of the recent OW commentary on Kilduff has been unreasonable, never mind "over the top".

I eagerly await to hear the argument as to why the club should persevere with Kilduff.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The Undertaker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:30 am

I wasn't aware of Gaffney re-signing for Bristol Rovers however Hoban isn't the answer either in my opinion. We need a striker who is quick, creative and can run in behind. Hoban offers none of these qualities.

In my view a lot of the criticism since Kilduff joined the club has been over the top. Harsh at times. Has scored a number of crucial goals in his three seasons at the club. He has scored six goals this season including the winner against Shamrock Rovers on the opening night and the crucial opener against Pat's. I feel he gets the brunt of criticism while other players like Shields, Gartland and Massey, who have all been seriously below par get away free of any blame. I am not saying that Kilduff is the best striker in the country. Far from it however I think some people are being idiotic with their comments and that we could do a lot, lot worse.
Last edited by The Undertaker on Sun May 14, 2017 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The Undertaker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:32 am

White Horse wrote:
The Undertaker wrote:Maguire was given the option to stay at the club but chose to depart...and on the basis of the six months he had here and the effort that he showed he was lucky to have even been offered something here beyond.

People seem to forget how poor Maguire was in his time at Oriel. He looked miles off the pace and very like the player he was at Sligo. He deserves great credit for putting his game back together in his time with the langers, but there was no sign of that player when he was here.

Correct. His attitude for a start was shocking when he was here. He does deserve credit for getting himself in a position to move abroad again however I wasn't sorry to see him go at the time and even now I'm not. Sometimes things don't work out with certain clubs and this is a classic case.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sun May 14, 2017 9:58 am

The Undertaker wrote:We need a striker who is quick, creative and can run in behind.

Strange that the attributes you require from a striker are the exact opposite of what Kilduff, who you you are defending possesses.

I'd certainly agree with you that some of the other players have escaped criticism, however Kilduff simply isn't good enough and hasn't been since we've signed him. I think the criticism is warranted but it should be towards Kenny rather than to Kilduff himself. I fail to see what he sees in Kilduff. It's baffling as he offers absolutely nothing.
Has Kilduff ever come off the field where you can honestly say he put in a great performance? Yes he has scored a few important goals, but how many sitters has he missed. Would another striker have scored more?
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sun May 14, 2017 10:01 am

White Horse wrote:

Very hard to judge a player when he never started a game, nor played in his correct position. I thought he did all right without looking outstanding. He had McMillan and Kilduff ahead of him in pecking order so decided not to sign. So yes, Kilduff was chosen over him
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun May 14, 2017 10:16 am

The number of great chances missed by both Kilduff and McMillan counts against both. Both had the chances to win the cup final, for example. Kilduff had a great chance at 0-1 v Legia he should have taken. These things matter. But, having said that, we're not set up to play to his strengths. He needs a man off to draw defenders and crosses whipped in to run onto. We don't play that way generally.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am

El Paso wrote:The number of great chances missed by both Kilduff and McMillan counts against both. Both had the chances to win the cup final, for example. Kilduff had a great chance at 0-1 v Legia he should have taken. These things matter. But, having said that, we're not set up to play to his strengths. He needs a man off to draw defenders and crosses whipped in to run onto. We don't play that way generally.

Agreed but McMillan's all round play is infinitely better. He can hold the ball up and is skillful enough to beat his man.
He does miss a fair few though.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 am

I'd have Mc Millan in a starting 11 anyday before Kilduff. Mc Millan will always give 100% effort & has always more of a chance of scoring. Kilduff is better coming off the bench as an impact sub, he has contributed with some important goals but overall he has missed a hat full of chances which is very disappointing. It may be interesting to see will any new players come in during the "window" but my own feeling is Stephen Kenny will leave well alone.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Tue May 16, 2017 3:19 pm

According to the demo Kenny said he has enough strikers at the club and didn't even no Hoban was at the sligo match,take from that what you will but looks like pat won't be returning to us.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Even if he was interested SK is hardly likely to let on. Apart from the money aspect, he would have to let someone go. We dont need discontent in the changing over something that could be weeks down the line - or might not even happen.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Letting 1 of 3 Strikers go would be impossible in July unless a Striker agrees to go and gets paid wages up till October when his contract ends,if any of the 3 were to leave my money is on Stewart but i think Kenny will stick with the 3 he has.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Spiderman wrote:Letting 1 of 3 Strikers go would be impossible in July unless a Striker agrees to go and gets paid wages up till October when his contract ends,if any of the 3 were to leave my money is on Stewart but i think Kenny will stick with the 3 he has.

A Manager telling a player that he is no longer in his plans can have a startlingly persuasive impact on a player. In addition if he can also tell him that X club is interested in taking him on loan, it means that the player has a guarantee that his contract is honoured in terms of payment. It is also possible for the player and signing club to agree different terms, leading to the regular "mutual terminated of contract".

As oldfogey has already pointed out, SK is no fool when it comes to keeping things under wraps while keeping his options open.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

northender
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby northender » Sat May 20, 2017 11:57 pm

White Horse wrote:

A deal has been done to bring Sean Maguire to Preston and he will join us with us in July for pre-season.

Return to “General Discussion”