2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 pm

I think Stephen Kenny would want it in the Aviva. He wants this team on the biggest stage possible.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Without looking like jumping the gun before the Rosenborg tie is sorted i'd imagine that the 2 games in the Aviva could be held on the 1st for CL and 2nd of August for the friednly fundraiser. The pitch will be fine and it isnt as if many stadia dont hold semi-finals, for example, back to back over a couple of days. Most of the work would be in changing over advertisment hoarding so not a major issue and be a few extra € for those who work the Aviva swithing stuff overnight.
I doubt Celtic will want to switch the legs with advantage playing 2nd leg at home and if the Linfield tie didnt have the legs switched considering the dates for the first leg in Belfast, a clash with an exhibition game especially if Tallaght is an option is hardly reason for them to agree a switch. We are too dangerous a side to cede any advantage to these days!
The debate will rage on the money versus advantage in where the game is played. Previous years i'd fancy our chances against Celtic but Rogers has done a decent job and they would be tough and organised this season compared to the last number of years. With the additional EL chances i'd rather play in a packed Aviva and bank the additional cash and beef up our finances for a push on in 2018 to claim back the title for starters and by then we should have plans for ground developments set out. We know that the EL can be lucrative both financially too and with building club coffecient and reputation. It would be crazy not to take the oppertunity of an extra million Euro just in gate receipts alone. We are not hugely effected as a team whether the atmosphere is like home or away games anyhow. There would also be the chance to widely showcase the way we can play.
The main thing would be to organise the seating better as even against Legia with the mix of neutrals the atmosphere with quite quiet and less than a 1000 Legia fans bunched together making a lot more noise. The club should/could do what it can to group Dundalk fans together aa bit like the cup finals.

Its all irrelevant until after next week but still its an exciting prospect and if we get past Rosenborg confidence will be high, form is continuing to improve so we can prove what is often said that we would be a tougher prospect for Celtic that what they play domestically in the SPL every week. Dump them out, which we are capable of and there will be some craic after. Rosenborg first though!!!!

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 pm

dell wrote:The main thing would be to organise the seating better as even against Legia with the mix of neutrals the atmosphere with quite quiet and less than a 1000 Legia fans bunched together making a lot more noise. The club should/could do what it can to group Dundalk fans together aa bit like the cup finals.

Very true - a couple of lads actually said that to me today, they were surrounded by neutrals and the atmosphere wasn't great where they were located.

Anyway no point worrying about that issue until after next Wednesday fingers crossed.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Same prize money though on offer if the match was in Tallaght plus reduced rental costs. Anyway, lets concentrate on next Wed first.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:43 pm

seand wrote:If we can somehow get past Rosenborg we're drawn away to Celtic/Linfield in the first leg. The home leg would be on August 1/2.... Oriel Park is not up to standard and Man bloomin United are in the Aviva on August 2!

As a result of his elevation to a new position on one of the UEFA feeding troughs, John Delaney confirmed that - if necessary - there would be no difficulty in Dundalk playing on the Tuesday night. My concern is that Man U -Sampdoria tickets STARTING at €40 there will be those who would have preferred to watch a CL qualifier but cant afford 2 games in two days. You could be knocking as many as 15,000 off a potential full house.

It is worth remembering that a QR3 tie carries the bonus of a CL or EL playoff for the winners/losers.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 pm

oldfogey wrote:My concern is that Man U -Sampdoria tickets STARTING at €40 there will be those who would have preferred to watch a CL qualifier but cant afford 2 games in two days. You could be knocking as many as 15,000 off a potential full house.

It is worth remembering that a QR3 tie carries the bonus of a CL or EL playoff for the winners/losers.

Of course there is no point in getting exercised by this unless/until we qualify. But it is galling - though hardly surprising - that the FAI arranged this fund-raiser clear in the knowledge of the potential impact it could have
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 pm

It might be galling for us Dundalk fans but if the powers that be at Manchester United and Samdoria said this is the only date we are free and there was only a chance of us progressing as unseeded, if progressing we could get an unfashionable opposition so Tallaght would do, that we could be drawn at home first and with 2 available dates if drawn away second, on this occasion i could understand why they would have scheduled a payday as they did. I am sure they though it all out carefully.........

Silly error above as drawn away second i should have put. it is a good point Sean that Celtic could switch legs to be at home 2nd leg. I also agree that SK will opt for whatever he thinks will give the best chances of progressing - after we beat Rosenborg Wednesday!!
Last edited by dell on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm

dell, we have the home advantage in the second leg, so Celtic might be willing to swtich for that reason. But the more I think about it the more I reckon we should play it in Tallaght. We're trying to win a tie and I'd say Kenny would prioritise maximising our chances of progressing ahead of getting us into the Aviva for an 'occasion'!

No danger of Linfield doing us a favour now. Well beaten today and they made a complete arse of their big day. Whenever you think the League of Ireland is a crock of sh1te, just look north.

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm a Rosenborg-fan. How good is Celtic, was it the most difficult opposition out of the teams in the pot?

Groovkat
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Groovkat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Getting a wee bit ahead of yourself there mate :-)

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 am

Dundalk v Celtic in Windsor Park?

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:09 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Dundalk v Celtic in Windsor Park?

Yes, yes. That's the finest idea I've heard in a long time. Hopefully Celtic will be equally sensible and host their home leg in Mosul.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 am

Meanwhile fh cruise through against faroe island opposition. What couldve been if we were seeded.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 0rl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Sneachta wrote:Meanwhile fh cruise through against faroe island opposition. What couldve been if we were seeded.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

On that i just looked up their result and see Steven Lennon got the first from the spot.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I know there's no thread for next year yet, but I couldn't help having a look at next year's Access List, given the changes.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/ue ... t2018.html

Apart from CLQ2 being renamed - in effect - CLQ1, UEFA have added their own version of "de backdoor". The losers from each CL qualifying round go into a pot and are drawn for a playoff(LCQ). Winners go on to join losers from the next CL round up. The interesting thing is that the 36 teams involved are in a separate battle for 8 ringfenced EL GROUP spots. The Irish winners will be in CLQ1 for the forseeable future but they will always have at least 2 more games (1 more round) after getting knocked out.

Return to “General Discussion”