2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:20 pm

2-2 be jaysus. Both goals coming from crosses from the same side they scored. Good game.

Rosenborg rattled. Bendtner shaping to come on :-0

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 pm

3-2. To the other crowd. The arse truly has fallen out of them. They can be for at. The other crowd pressed them really hard. My early analysis has just been poo pooed! Dunno what to make of them.

I'd love it...LOVE IT..if we beat them. Need to fast forward to next weeks 1st leg. Can't contain myself

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 pm

3-3. Bendtner scores in time added on while controlling the ball with his hand. What a game!

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Their name may hold more fear than their current team. I we play anything like the way we played against BATE we can beat them, if we play like we did the 1st half away to FH never mind the cagey 1st leg well it will be hanging in there. Hopefully confidence from last seasons European games as bar the 2nd round game v FH we were a match and often better than anyone else we faced. The other sides had that saavy and kept us at arms length doing just what they needed to do at times but we never were completely outclassed (BATE away I know) so if we have learned how to handle the different kind of pressures from last season wll we can be hopeful for sure!

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 pm

RTE will be showing both legs live I see, that's a surprising but very welcome move for the away game. Great stuff.

Kjello
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kjello » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am

Hello guys!
A Norwegian visiting.

Looking forward to our clash, and wish you a great welcome to Trondheim next week. Though I don't hope you'll enjoy your stay to much. The last two times we've met teams from the British Isles they've enjoyed themselves a bit to much up here. Though those times it was the first leg of the clash.

A small travel tip for those of you coming over. Bring rain coats, I'll be shocked if you don't need them at some point during your stay. Trondheim is known for its unstable summers. You may experience 20 degrees and sunshine, as well as 6-7 degrees , rain and cold winds within the same day.

For those of you that want to enjoy a beer before the match. Cafe Dublin next to the city square is the Irish watering hole of the town. If you want a more sports pub like experience, Three Lions Pub is ranked as one of the best sports pubs in the country. Though I understand that Irish people may have some objections to visiting a place with that name.

@dell:
If you still fear the name Rosenborg, you couldn't have followed European football to close the last ten years. Because you have to go back ten years, to 2007, to find any results that should make you fear the name Rosenborg. 2007 was our last participation in the Champions League group stage. Getting a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge (Mourinho was fired next day), as well as beating Valencia 2-0 both home and away. The away match is one of the best matches in Rosenborg's history. We should have won by 4 or 5 goals.

Since then, we did not only lose the Norwegian dominance. But we have also failed to make an impact in European football whatsoever. We've only qualified four times for the group stage of the Europa League. And in 22 matches, we've only managed 3 wins, 4 draws, and 15 losses. Never once being close to advancing from the group stage. Our best season was back in 2012 when we beat Rapid Vienna twice.

We've now gained back the Norwegian dominance. With back to back doubles in 2015 and 2016. The first Norwegian team to do so. However, in Europe we didn't have the wished progress last season.
After knocking out Romanian team Steaua Bucuresti in the Europa League playoffs back in 2015. We had bit disappointing group stage, only managing two draws against French team Saint-Etienne. We expected a bit more with the great from we had in the national league, and the great result against Steaua Bucuresti. It especially hurt as our main rivals Molde won their group ahead of Fenerbahce, Celtic and Ajax.

Despite losing several key players over the winter. We still had high hopes ahead of the Champions League qualification last season. Though we understood that qualifying for the Champions League would be difficult, we had expectations of at least reaching the Europa League group stage again. But we failed in both the CLQ3 against Cypriot side APOEL, and the ELPO against Austria Vienna.

Ahead of this season, we've once again lost key players. Our top scorer was sold once again. Our main central defender was sold. And our right back was sold. And to be honest, the replacements hasn't really been a hit so far. In addition, key players like captain Mike Jensen and Fredrik Midtsjø has been very disappointing this season. Because of this, many people now doubt any European success this season as well. And honestly, I do think people might underestimate you guys. I think it may become a very close tie. Perhaps with home field advantage in the return leg being decisive.

We started the season strong point wise. Taking 19 of 21 points the first 7 matches. However, the play didn't really reflect that. Though we in periods played good football. We never had any really good matches. There was never a good 90 minutes. Only 15 minutes here and 25 minutes there. In the last 8 matches things have gone worse. For the first time since 2013 we went four matches without winning. And after the 3-3 draw this week, we now have four not won an away match in two months. Which is quite strange for Rosenborg. In total we've only taken 10 of the last 24 points. Amazingly, we still top the table. Because our rivals have dropped a lot of points as well.
Where we in the start of the season was very good in the defence, but lacked the rhythm in offence. It now seems to have changed. The offensive play has been better in the last matches. But the defence has been shaking.

@Sneachta:
Most Rosenborg fans still believe in Bendtner. So I don't think the tweets you saw was necessarily by Rosenborg fans. Most Rosenborg fans are however tired of the media's focus on Bendtner. It's Bendtner this, and Bendtner that. In the beginning of the season, the media praised him. Now they try to blame him for everything. After we went 4 matches without winning. Bendtner was suspended for the following match due to yellow cards. When we then won that match, and his replacement played a good match scoring once, and assisting another. The headlines were "The Bendtner replacement scored", "Rosenborg won with Bendtner on the stands" etc. And when our coach didn't want to answer questions about Bendtner after that match, it of course became a topic in the media. After our last home match. With both Bendtner and his rival playing at the same time. His rival scored. Media then started to analyse Bendtner's celebration to that and the other goals. Media is simply fucking crazy.
Bendtner has of course not been fantastic so far. But he needs time to adopt just like any other player. And in periods, he have shown that he has a higher lever than any other player in Norway.

But enough about Rosenborg.
What's up with you guys?
I understand that you've lost some key players as well?
I guess that it's the fate of every small league club that does well in Europe, that bigger clubs will come and buy your players.

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:20 am

International geography,history or politics are not strong subjects in the Norwegian education system i see.
Welcome to Orielweb nonetheless.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 am

That is a really interesting and informative post Kjello. Thanks for posting
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Kjello
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kjello » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am

Ridleys regular wrote:International geography,history or politics are not strong subjects in the Norwegian education system i see.

Care to enlighten me then, where I went wrong?
Was it that I called Ireland a part of the British Isles?

Or that I suggested you to visit the Three Lions Pub?
Which in fact is the only place in town that even shows Gaelic football, Rugby and Hurling.
When Sligo Rovers visited back in 2014. I suggested the same to them. They had the same response as you have. I was an ignorant Norwegian. Yet, when they first got here, most of them ended up at the Three Lions Pub anyway.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 am

Kjello wrote:
Ridleys regular wrote:International geography,history or politics are not strong subjects in the Norwegian education system i see.

The term "British Isles" is a politically sensitive term. There are two islands, Britain and Ireland. Many Irish people object to the both islands being referred to as belonging or dominated by one of the islands.

The political sensitivity is not widely known outside of Ireland, so there was no need for RR to have a go at you about it.

Welcome to the board and thanks for your post. I am looking forward to visiting your country in a couple of weeks.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 am

Not the sort of welcome that a guest should get RR maybe a polite explination if you have issue with something especially something that isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of thisng.

Thanks for the post Kjello. I am afraid that we would be delighted with only qualifying for the EL groups 4 times and the difference in the standings of each club is that you find that disappointing. No Irish side having ever been in the CL groups Rosenborg still carries some of their fear factor and are significant favourites. We had a breakthrough season last season its true, but our form and the loss of players has hit us too. It is a tie that I really couldnt try and predict as it may depend on which Dundalk turns up in terms of form.

vegard
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vegard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:10 pm

It may depend on which Rosenborg turns up too. And I'm hearing rumours that Dundalk's recent form is looking promising (at least in terms of results)?

Rosenborg's main problem at the moment is that we don't know how to hold on to a lead. We consistently fell apart when leading in Europe last year, conceding eight late goals against Norrköping and APOEL, and this year it has spread to the league as well. In 7 out of 15 matches we have taken the lead and then had all the players forget that they are footballers and not kids playing hide and seek.

Earlier in the season the play was much worse, but somehow we still managed to come out winning, such as in the matches against Viking and Sarpsborg. By now the play has improved, but we are doing it last-season-in-Europe-style, conceding goals and points galore. Like in Kristiansund on Monday.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Welcome to Orielweb nonetheless.

Some welcome and patronising indeed!

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Personally I prefer to call it the North Atlantic archipelago. There are nearly 200 inhabited islands. :)
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Kjello wrote:

Or that I suggested you to visit the Three Lions Pub?
Which in fact is the only place in town that even shows Gaelic football, Rugby and Hurling.
When Sligo Rovers visited back in 2014. I suggested the same to them. They had the same response as you have. I was an ignorant Norwegian. Yet, when they first got here, most of them ended up at the Three Lions Pub anyway.

Great response Kjello. You now understand Irish hypocrisy too.

"Three lions???? Ah we'll be havin none of that!!!!"

Four in the morning.... "Will we go for one more in the three lions lads, finish the night off?". That's regarded as typical Irish.

You can just refer to us as Irish or from Ireland. Don't mind those having a hissy fit.

Fair play for taking the time to write a great post. Looking forward to a good close game hopefully.

If you're coming to Dundalk, Kennedy's is a great spot for a drink before the game. Mix with plenty of dundalk supporters. Afterwards, head into town to Brewbakers. Or the Phoenix, Vinegarmans or Bartender for a bit more of a homely pint.

If we win there might be a bit of craic about the town on Wednesfield night ;-)

Who knows, they might even open ridleys!

Return to “General Discussion”