2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby el-pietro » Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 pm

You'd definitely be seeded in the EL next year without the changes. I'd be surprised if you weren't seeded after any changes.



dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby dell » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Thats what I thought, if we win the league this year and go out straight off will the Grevenmacher win and draw make any dent in our co-efficiant along with the increase that happens just for qualifying?

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2284
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 pm

I reckon overall the move to 10 years will be bad for us. Most teams qualifying will have more experience than us. It's an awful change for football in the small countries. It means the likes of TNS and Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar) who qualify year after year will pick up poxy seedings, win more rounds earn more money and further ruin their leagues. (Grevenmacher were seeded against us basically because they qualified regularly by finishing near the top of Lux league.) Similarly, only worse, for the likes of BATE, Celtic, Dinamo Zagreb.

On the plus side it means there'll be some poxy seeds in there to draw, ala Grevenmacher. Also on the massively plus side, there's so much money in Europe these days the likes of Cork and Dundalk should be able to maintain their dominance if they manage things correctly. Easier said than done. Not (SHAM) looking (ROCK) at (ROVERS) anyone in particular.
Last edited by seand on Thu May 11, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2284
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 pm

el-pietro wrote:You'd definitely be seeded in the EL next year without the changes. I'd be surprised if you weren't seeded after any changes.


We'll only be entering the Europa League next season if we get an awful group in the Champions League and finish third El P! ;-)

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby el-pietro » Fri May 12, 2017 12:10 pm

seand wrote:
el-pietro wrote:You'd definitely be seeded in the EL next year without the changes. I'd be surprised if you weren't seeded after any changes.


We'll only be entering the Europa League next season if we get an awful group in the Champions League and finish third El P! ;-)

You can't honestly think you'll win the league this year?

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby el-pietro » Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 pm

seand wrote:I reckon overall the move to 10 years will be bad for us. Most teams qualifying will have more experience than us. It's an awful change for football in the small countries. It means the likes of TNS and Lincoln Red Imps (Gibraltar) who qualify year after year will pick up poxy seedings, win more rounds earn more money and further ruin their leagues. (Grevenmacher were seeded against us basically because they qualified regularly by finishing near the top of Lux league.) Similarly, only worse, for the likes of BATE, Celtic, Dinamo Zagreb.

On the plus side it means there'll be some poxy seeds in there to draw, ala Grevenmacher. Also on the massively plus side, there's so much money in Europe these days the likes of Cork and Dundalk should be able to maintain their dominance if they manage things correctly. Easier said than done. Not (SHAM) looking (ROCK) at (ROVERS) anyone in particular.


I think the likes of TNS being seeded is actually a good thing, cos they are easily beatable. For teams like Dundalk, City and Rovers you would expect to qualify most seasons as well which gives you a further advantage at being seeded over time.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2284
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Well we're officially unseeded, and currently the highest ranked unseeded team (with Poland, Moldova and Hungary all potentially providing seeds or non-seeds), so now attention turns to potential opponents. Here's the ranking at the moment.... I expect Legia will hold on in Poland now having gone top for the first time, after being 13th out of 16 after 12 games! Fair to say they were 100% concentrating on the CL at the time :-(

1 Scotland Celtic 42.785
2 Austria RBS 40.570
3 Denmark Copenhagen 37.800
4 Bulgaria Ludogorets 34.175
5 Belarus BATE 29.475
6 Cyprus APOEL 26.210
7 Slovenia Maribor 21.125
8 Azerbaijan Qarabag 18.050
9 Sweden Malmo 16.945
10 Serbia Partizan 16.075
11 Croatia Rijeka 15.550
12 Kazakhstan Astana 14.650
13 Norway Rosenborg 12.665
14 Israel HBS 10.875
15 Iceland FH 6.175
16 Slovakia Zilina 5.850
17 Lithuania Zalgiris 5.825
-----------------------------------------------------
18 Republic of Ireland (Dundalk) 5.815

Poland, Moldova, Hungary to be confirmed, all others will be ranked below Dundalk.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby dell » Tue May 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Cant help help shake that lost opportunity feeling. Not going on a Kilduff downer as chances missed = chances taken but the missed header v Tel Aviv for the draw and starting with Kilduff v AZ at home didnt work as hoped by SK and we were far better when McMillan came on. Ifs and buts but .5 putting us in 14th and in with good hope of seeding - shame as it gives a real shot at EL groups again. We are now really sweating on the draw again. Which does make it exciting mind!

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2284
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby seand » Tue May 23, 2017 4:31 pm

A single goal in any of the 5 games we didn't win would have made the difference. In fairness to Kilduff he is singlehandedly responsible for 3 of the 5.815 in our coefficient!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1061
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby oldfogey » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 am

dell wrote:Cant help help shake that lost opportunity feeling. Not going on a Kilduff downer as chances missed = chances taken but the missed header v Tel Aviv for the draw and starting with Kilduff v AZ at home didnt work as hoped by SK and we were far better when McMillan came on. Ifs and buts but .5 putting us in 14th and in with good hope of seeding - shame as it gives a real shot at EL groups again. We are now really sweating on the draw again. Which does make it exciting mind!


To be realistic, our current form is not worth 2.815, never mind 5.815. We are where we are based on one season's performance. If a team can jump from nothing to being a seeded team just like that, there's something wrong with the system.

At least we have chance of a big draw. I can accept getting knocked out by a seeded team, but an unseeded team......

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby Ezeikial » Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 am

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6921
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby mike » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

He makes an interesting point you have to say, but of course this will be packed out to the rafters, and we could be playing in the city that same night or the next day. However on current form that seems a big ask, as we will have to negotiate round 2 first, a big name and we could be gone before the end of July.

Anyone see the thing doing the rounds from last nights EL final match programme, ex chairman Padraig McGowan mentioned in a full page on DFC euro run last season.

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby magarnagle » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

mike wrote:Anyone see the thing doing the rounds from last nights EL final match programme, ex chairman Padraig McGowan mentioned in a full page on DFC euro run last season.


Sure did, really great to see this recognition. Even though the overall standard of the competition was poor success stories like ours is what makes it special.
FOT2D55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby Ezeikial » Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 pm

UEFA stats highlight Dundalk's Europa League heroics

As the dust has settled on another Europa League campaign, UEFA’s statisticians have crunched the final figures. And they reflect quite well on Dundalk’s history-making campaign.


https://www.buzz.ie/sport/uefa-stats-hi ... ics-239374
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby dell » Sat May 27, 2017 2:20 pm

In the paper today that regardless of the Samdoria game in the Aviva that the stadium would still be available to us if needed the night before - according to Delaney along with him saying that the government are to be presented with 20 individual plans for clubs as part of lobbying to improve infrastruture league wide (take what you will about this but at least JD has atually mentioned the league and Dundalk - and he has been at 2 games in as many weeks).


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests