Condolences Thread for Friends of Dundalk FC

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Condolences Thread for Friends of Dundalk FC

Post by Ezeikial » Sun May 31, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks to James Rogers for tweeting a timely reminder that today is the 4 year anniversary of Mick Slevin's passing

A gentleman, a character and a lilywhite to the core

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 7019305985
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Sad to hear of the sudden passing of stalwart fan Noel Curtis. Condolences to family and friends

http://jamesrogers.ie/noel-curtis-a-tribute/

https://rip.ie/death-notice/noel-curtis ... uth/425973
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

pingu1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pingu1 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:08 pm

El Paso wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:59 pm Harry Taaffe has passed away. Some of you may have seen the club’s tweets saying he was missing Sunday morning. These have now been deleted.

Don’t know the details but sincere condolences to his family and friends - very sad news.

Very sad news on the passing of Harry. May he rest in peace
The only team for me.....

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Hard to take in.

RIP

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by buster » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Will miss my old friend Harry,many good conversations together RIP old friend.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:52 pm

Very very sad. RIP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm

TRIBUTE | Harry Taaffe was a truly kind man, a key component within Dundalk FC

Harry Taaffe was the proverbial Jack of all trades; a most malleable figure, an omnipresence in Oriel Park. His roles were many and varied, but flexibility was a character trait and for this, he’ll stand distinctly in your writer’s memory.

There was the charismatic videographer that everyone saw, fag hanging from the mouth, his tongue precipitating droplets of wit. But, like a cream egg, his exterior hid a gentle centre. That’s, of course, a personal take from a hack who got to know him fairly well over the course of three or four seasons on the Dundalk FC beat.

The day Karolis Chvedukas signed for The Lilywhites, in January 2018, I can recall feeling a wee bit cautious about approaching one particular individual in the main stand. It was over a very minor issue that had somehow manifested itself internally into something greater. I mentioned it to Harry, he smiled and turned the situation on its head, offering a different perspective. Hence the said third party was contacted and there wasn’t a problem at all.

I never forgot that act of kindness, the willingness to listen, away from other ears. And through that season, from Cork to Derry to Tallinn, there were many an intimate conversation. So much so that having handed over soccer duties later that year, Harry beelined for me in the Marshes about this time 12 months ago. He was interested to know where I was, what I’d been doing to fill the Friday night void.

They say a key part of leadership is man-management, knowing how to be with different individuals and people, what buttons to press to gain the optimum response. My memory of Harry is of the cordial kind, though he could equally give a player a mouthful or a passing fan ferocious slagging, and yet every automatic reaction would be a smile. He knew those around him and seemed to take satisfaction at treating others in the way they desired.

His loss will be most acutely felt by his immediate family and while the Dundalk fraternity will shroud them at such a harrowing time, they will hopefully acknowledge how integral he was in this unprecedented spell of success. He was often a sounding board for players, those who were, perhaps, injured, or out of the team, or lads with difficulties away from the football pitch. The greatest compliment you can pay Harry is that he was a person that others trusted. I saw that first hand.

Rest in peace, lovely man.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... lk-fc.html

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 am

Really sad news, Harry was a real character blessed with that unique Dundalk wit and humour. RIP.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Removal on Thursday afternoon at 12.30pm proceeding on foot to Saint Nicholas' Church arriving for Funeral Mass at 1 o'clock followed by burial in Saint Patrick's Cemetery Dundalk
https://rip.ie/death-notice/harry-taaff ... uth/429476

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:15 pm

“Dundalk FC is and will be forever be a better place because of H” – Vinny Perth
http://jamesrogers.ie/dundalk-fc-is-and ... nny-perth/

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Tributes from Stephen O'Donnell and Robbie Benson

Not in the slightest bit surprising but fitting video tributes
“He was a giant of a man & will be hugely missed”

Our thoughts & prayers continue to be with Harry Taaffe’s family, friends & all
@DundalkFC after his funeral today

Stephen O’Donnell & Robbie Benson have been remembering their former Dundalk colleague ahead of tomorrow’s game
https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/1288855841609785344

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Townfan7 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:23 am

Another great Dundalk FC supporter was laid to rest this week, Bill Thompson RIP. A former supporters club committee member, Bill followed the team over many years, a gentleman always, I used to love our chats following matches where he had a great insight into the team’s performances. May his gentle soul Rest In Peace.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Michael Hayes a long time administrator within the FAI passed away today at only 62 years. Michael was one of the good guys, passionate about football, a font of knowledge and a friend to Dundalk and all League of Ireland clubs. He was also a regular attender at Oriel Park

Ar dheis Dé do raibh a anam

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soc ... um=twitter

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Too young to go. Very sad and jolting news

I remember him during a difficult period at Dundalk.

Condolences to friends and family

Ar dheis Dé do raibh a anam

James Rogers
@jamesdundalk
Sorry to hear of the passing of Robbie Brunton at the age of just 47. Robbie was best known for playing with Bohs and Sligo but also played 22 matches, scoring once, for Dundalk in 2002/03.
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 6574300160

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:01 am

Last night's achievement must be a bitter sweet feeling for the Taaffe family.

Thinking of H and other dearly departed Dundalk fanatics

If there is actually a landing spot up above, I'd say the party is still in full flow