Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Postby colymull » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 pm

McEleney and Duufy were superb tonight, really had great games. We look quite shaky at the back but I'll give it a few more games before I start giving out about that!! Rovers look like a decent side but constantly let themselves down with indiscipline. Good start and still some top players to come back into the squad.

King Kenny!

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Sneachta » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 pm

marvin wrote:Eir coverage highlighted Mcallisters cowardly stamp upon ODonnell...the act of a coward. Does the LOI have any mechanism to deal with matters which are missed by officials, yet spotted by tv ?

He was given the job to man mark O'Donnell in the second half. He tried following him like a dirty Guinness fart in Russell's. O'Donnell used all his experience to put manners on him. Same with Garland on O'Connor. Rovers were psyched up in all the wrong ways for that game. They were unprofessional. I thought Dundalk were 7/10 with more to come. Sharp fit and strong, first to the ball. Duffy a great prospect. In fact all new signings that I saw tonight. Mountney, yet again proving why Kenny rates him. Delighted for the chap. By god he works his socks off. McEleney is not the main man I think. There is serious competition in this squad. Gannon, Barrett major weak links tonight. Rovers were utter dung. We have the most estute manager the league has seen since the likes of Jim McLaughlin or Brian Kerr. Bradley is a headless Chuck. He'll get the boot no doubt. Early days but Cork and Derry the teams to best as far as I can see.

Pitch was great

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Sorry McEleney is NOW the main man :-/

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

Just watching the recording. Can't believe Finn volunteering that he discussed going back to Rovers with McPhail while we were still in Europe. As for thinking Rovers are a bigger club than us, do me a favour. We saw a side to him tonight that would never have been tolerated by SK. I thought O'Connor was looking for trouble, but Finn didn't really seem interested in anything but a fight with the skipper. Maybe he already realises he's made a mistake?(or maybe someone reminded him!)

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:14 am

Finn was a coward tonight. Rovers paying him big bucks and he shirks responsibility and puts it on the kids.

We're well rid.

Kilduff played even though he was injured and couldn't train all week. Same for Duffy.

Kenny is right. Lose our attitude and determination and we're nothing. Finn lost his.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:51 am

I think we all agree it wasn't a great game but very physical,McEleney was excellent he said in an interview after the game he got a knock on his metatarsal and will get it checked tomorrow, young O'Connor was more eager than looking for trouble in only his first loi start, good 3 points let's move on.

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 am

Didn't get to see the game how did the pitch look

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:25 am

Mountney MOTM for me, particularly good first half
The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:33 am

I thought we were very good in mf. Mceleney and o'donnell were especially top drawer. Mceleney was streets ahead of everyone else on the pitch. When finn came on he was psyched up but did very little until o'donnell went off. Then he got on the ball a lot more. Rovers were ok in mf very weak in defence and offered absolutely nothing up top. For me Barrett was a weak link in defence and I just don't trust sava. A great win in front of a massive oriel pk crowd. Early days but it was vital to beat rovers cos if they have a few bad games the natives will get restless plus with Cork winning away to finn harps it was an important victory too.
Did anyone hear anything about rovers fans coming up out of the train station with baseball bats before gardai forced them down st. Malachy's villas? Didn't see anything but heard this in oriel and heard a lot of gardai sirens when I was walking through the gap in ard easmuinn
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:39 am

I thought it was a highly entertaining game. The main thing is that there is room for improvement all across the pitch and we will get up to speed in the next few matches. O'Donnell and McEleney were terrific. I am very excited about Michael duffy I think he will be pure class.

A real point of concern is th cb partnership
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Sneachta » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:I thought we were very good in mf. Mceleney and o'donnell were especially top drawer. Mceleney was streets ahead of everyone else on the pitch. When finn came on he was psyched up but did very little until o'donnell went off. Then he got on the ball a lot more. Rovers were ok in mf very weak in defence and offered absolutely nothing up top. For me Barrett was a weak link in defence and I just don't trust sava. A great win in front of a massive oriel pk crowd. Early days but it was vital to beat rovers cos if they have a few bad games the natives will get restless plus with Cork winning away to finn harps it was an important victory too.
Did anyone hear anything about rovers fans coming up out of the train station with baseball bats before gardai forced them down st. Malachy's villas? Didn't see anything but heard this in oriel and heard a lot of gardai sirens when I was walking through the gap in ard easmuinn

Didn't hear that Niall but saw plenty of local scum getting battered and I mean battered by guards on malachys road.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 am

Johnny Guitar wrote:A real point of concern is th cb partnership

I can't see it working. Either would be OK playing with Boyle but not together.

I hope I'm wrong.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby iloveduffy.com » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:06 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Adam wrote:Kilduff is looking sharper, leaner, and faster.

Well done to the man.

Thought he was absolutely dreadful. Granted he nodded one in from 6 inches so he will get the plaudits and another few games, but we are virtually playing with ten men when he is on the field. He doesn't run the channels, he doesn't get in behind, he doesn't drop in and link up play, he doesn't win enough headers, he doesn't hold up the ball...

I would give us about 6/10 for overall performance, which was more than enough against a terrible, ill-disciplined Rovers.
Duffy and McEleney were superb, and I thought Clifford did well after a nervy start. Not convinced by the Barrett/Gartland partnership, it looked nervy under very little threat from 18 year old strikers.
Crowd of 4700 was also very positive.

Nail on the head. O'Connor hassled our defenders all night. Kilduff didn't get near them. He doesn't win anything in the air. Scored a goal but did pillowcase all else. Don't know why kenny loves him so much.
In Kenny we Trust

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby rummy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:16 am

In fairness, not sure why you would want Kilduff near our defenders

In any case, the point about O'Connor hassling our defenders while accurate should have probably resulted in him receiving at least one yellow, let alone two. All he did was charge around fouling players.

Of course it's early days on Kilduff but to me he looked better than lady season, and considering he didn't train all week, according to Kenny, then it was a good performance

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:27 am

iloveduffy.com wrote:O'Connor hassled our defenders all night.

He was a lot more interested in the defenders than the ball. I'll give you that.

Return to “General Discussion”