Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Postby iloveduffy.com » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 am

Player Ratings out of 10
Sava 6. Did nothing good of note due to lack of shots by rovers. Goal was deflected over him but he didn't even jump. 2/3 tickouts were straight into the crowd and he was very Rogersesque taking too much time on the ball and nearly gifiting O'Connor a goal only for it to be ruled out for handball. I've no confidence in him.
Gannon 6. He was ok. Quiet game for him.
Gartland 7. The best of our two centre backs. O'Connor gave him an early kick and that spurred him on. Few silly passes across the back line need to be cut out.
Barrett 5. Not the player I thought he was. Looks like he's not concentrating. Clears balls first time when he has time to take a touch. Slipped up for meenans chance. Messes with the ball at the back. Oconnor easily skipped past him in second half. No improvement on presidents cup game. Big improvement needed.
Massey 6. Unlucky not to score. Did ok but just didn't get going.
O'Donnell 8. One of his best games in a while. I actually witnessed him playing the ball forward once! Covered the back four very well. Got stuck in. Won most 50/50 balls. Kept the team going, shouting instructions and kept his discipline.
Benson 6. Started well and got his goal but I expected more from him. They packed midfield and he probably didn't see as much of the ball as it went to mountney, Duffy and McEleney more. He will be better as weeks go by.
Mountney 7. He had a good game. Ran and ran then ran some more. His control, hold up play and ability to run past people has improved. Keep if up John.
Duffy 7. Thought he was really good first half. Very quick and very calm pass for the first goal. He is going to be great for us.
McEleney 9. He was a cut above everyone on the pitch. Did everything well and made it look too easy. Great for the second goal. Nicked the ball and teed up killer with a perfect cross. He attracts injuries too much which is a shame. If he was fit all season we would have no issues going forward
Kilduff 6. Got his goal but otherwise didn't do much. We have got use to that over the last year. Unlike oconnor last night he didn't put any effort into closing down defenders Of me chasing the ball. I think he won one header and always seems to let the defender get the better of him. There's a reason McMillan is first choice.

In Kenny we Trust

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:33 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Adam wrote:Kilduff is looking sharper, leaner, and faster.

Well done to the man.

Thought he was absolutely dreadful. Granted he nodded one in from 6 inches so he will get the plaudits and another few games, but we are virtually playing with ten men when he is on the field. He doesn't run the channels, he doesn't get in behind, he doesn't drop in and link up play, he doesn't win enough headers, he doesn't hold up the ball...

I've been one of his biggest critics on orielweb and I thought he played well last night aside from the goal. If he played that well every week I'd be happy enough. He ran himself into the ground though and should have been subbed.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:39 am

Louth4sam wrote:
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Adam wrote:Kilduff is looking sharper, leaner, and faster.

Well done to the man.

Thought he was absolutely dreadful. Granted he nodded one in from 6 inches so he will get the plaudits and another few games, but we are virtually playing with ten men when he is on the field. He doesn't run the channels, he doesn't get in behind, he doesn't drop in and link up play, he doesn't win enough headers, he doesn't hold up the ball...

I've been one of his biggest critics on orielweb and I thought he played well last night aside from the goal. If he played that well every week I'd be happy enough. He ran himself into the ground though and should have been subbed.

Did anyone hear Stephen Kenny's interview about Kilduff not been able to train all week but insisted on playing last night?

Compare that to Finn who was sh!tting himself on the bench for the rentboys.

I recognise Kilduff's limitation and much prefer McMillan, but some of the criticism is petty.

Thanks for the winning goal last night Killer. I enjoyed it.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 am

Was there any reason why finn chickened out of starting?
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am

I won't say anything about Kilduff am not allowed, anyway bit harsh on O'Connor he did hassle our back 2 and put himself about but isn't that what its all about, what do you want him to do tickle Gartland and Barrett he's a young local lad only starting out in his career as I said already its his first loi start and I for one wish him well going forward, McEleney was brilliant hope his injury is not serious and O'Donnell was also brilliant good start we can only improve from here and time to get everyone fit.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Our whole back line needs a lot of work,keeper looked nervous,Barrett thinks he is a Brazilian defender the way he plays it out at times and when he does have time on the ball he hoofs it can't see that centre back partnership working. Gannon his usual self every clearance or cross he always seems to hit an opposing player. Massey with a lazy back heel attempt for their goal which Kilduff berated him for. Midfield looks good. Up front very little change no pace or quality granted McMillan is injured( although he is not the answer either) Kilduff tries his best no doubt about that but definitely not the answer for a team going for four league titles, Kenny sticking with him to try and justify paying a fee for him. The two glaring positions that need sorting from last season was a quality goalkeeper and real quality up front neither have been rectified which will ultimately cause us points throughout the year.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:02 pm

paul1 wrote:Kenny sticking with him to try and justify paying a fee for him.

The same Stephen Kenny that has brought us sustained success like we've never seen. Not possible if his thinking is a flawed as you allege.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm

White Horse wrote:
paul1 wrote:Kenny sticking with him to try and justify paying a fee for him.

The same Stephen Kenny that has brought us sustained success like we've never seen. Not possible if his thinking is a flawed as you allege.

Stephen Kenny is the best in the league no doubt ,world class managers have their faults as well Wenger,Mourinho etc ,just because its Stephen Kenny are we not allowed an opinion can he do no wrong??

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Pretty sure though that kilduff scoring against AZ and Maccabi and netting us around €480k would of beem the end of Kennys justification for forking out 20k on killer.

It really is great to back. Still buzing after last night's match

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm

paul1 wrote:Stephen Kenny is the best in the league no doubt ,world class managers have their faults as well Wenger,Mourinho etc ,just because its Stephen Kenny are we not allowed an opinion can he do no wrong??

I have no problem with you not rating Kilduff. Football is all about opinions.

But you go beyond that by claiming that Kenny only sticks with Kilduff because he is trying to justify paying money for him?

What evidence to you have for making that allegation?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Cant find a post match interview with Bradley? Interested to hear what this brilliant young manager, encouraging an expansive style of football (tee hee), receiving guidance from Arsene Wenger, Michael O'Neill, McPhail, Duff and Hooperman had to say about his sides performance, discipline, etc..

If anyone has a link to his post match comments please post. Didn't see anything with Eir Sport either.

Stumbled across an embarrassingly bad match report on the Rovers website, possibly written by a 7 year old.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/lates ... ock-rovers

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:10 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Cant find a post match interview with Bradley? Interested to hear what this brilliant young manager, encouraging an expansive style of football (tee hee), receiving guidance from Arsene Wenger, Michael O'Neill, McPhail, Duff and Hooperman had to say about his sides performance, discipline, etc..

If anyone has a link to his post match comments please post. Didn't see anything with Eir Sport either.

Stumbled across an embarrassingly bad match report on the Rovers website, possibly written by a 7 year old.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/lates ... ock-rovers

Stephen Bradley was interviewed during Eirsport coverage of the game last night. Endless list of clichés.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Delighted with the win, and more so with the sheer hard work the team put in from 1-11, including subs. I had a real worry going into the game with the backbone of Rogers, Shields and McMillan all missing, so it was just fantastic to see others stepping up all over the park.

We can improve in a few areas, I think I'd like to see Hoare in the middle of defence, and obviously the 3 big players will come back next month, but overall it was a great start, couldn't ask for any more really.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:34 pm

A fully deserved victory & still more players after injuries to come in & strengthen the team further. Great to see Mountney & Gannon link up particularly in the first half. Mc Eleney was by far head & shoulders above anyone on the park, an outstanding display.

A shocking tackle from Burke resulting in his dismissal, Mc Allister should have walked also for his stamp on O'Donnell. Poor discipline for Rovers, if that's all they have offer, they will win nothing.

Yes, it's great to be back & didn't the pitch look & play well.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Anyone see Miele being made a show of by o'donnell in the 1st half. Rovers had a free just inside our half and skip had the ball and pretended to throw it at his face and miele flinched. Doyle gave o'donnell a talking too but he had the psyched from the the start
A good laugh

Return to “General Discussion”