Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

ShiverinEskimo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Fri 24 Feb | 8pm | Oriel Pk

Postby ShiverinEskimo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Shout out to the ref who had a decent game and didn't bottle any big decisions and didn't let himself get bullied into decisions. Was also wise to rovers stealing yards on every set piece. Rare I praise the standard of refereeing at Oriel but hats off to Neil Doyle. Kept the lid on what was a heated match.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

I like Neil Doyle, he generally lets the game flow. He was in charge of the Cork match when we won the league, final game 2014. He seems to be one of the better guys.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Johnny Guitar wrote:Anyone see Miele being made a show of by o'donnell in the 1st half. Rovers had a free just inside our half and skip had the ball and pretended to throw it at his face and miele flinched. Doyle gave o'donnell a talking too but he had the psyched from the the start
A good laugh

I'm just not sure JG, even at the time I thought O'Donnell was close to a booking for that, nothing happened, but it could have been considered as content by another ref.

In saying that, O'Donnell was excellent, bossed the game and covered huge ground putting in a massive shift.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 pm

mike wrote:
Johnny Guitar wrote:Anyone see Miele being made a show of by o'donnell in the 1st half. Rovers had a free just inside our half and skip had the ball and pretended to throw it at his face and miele flinched. Doyle gave o'donnell a talking too but he had the psyched from the the start
A good laugh

I'm just not sure JG, even at the time I thought O'Donnell was close to a booking for that, nothing happened, but it could have been considered as content by another ref.

In saying that, O'Donnell was excellent, bossed the game and covered huge ground putting in a massive shift.

At the time I felt O'Donnell was fortunate to escape a yellow card.

Apart from it being poor discipline and a bad example to others I can't see what benefit this might give his team. Skip needs to cut this childish stuff
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 pm

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/63 ... direction/

Few gems from Bradley.

Bradley insisted: “I am disappointed. I thought the disallowed goal was harsh. He’s turned his back and the ball has hit him on the arm.

“For our first competitive game, to come up here and frighten them like we did, I think showed we won’t be far off them.

“We were sloppy, we gave away balls we should never have given away and good teams punish you and that’s what they did.

“Look, we’ll still try and play the right way, we just have to be clever when we have it.

“At times the game could have settled down for us, we should have played.

The disallowed goal was 100% the right decision - hardly merits any comment or argument.

I doubt anyone in Dundalk feels that Rovers frightened us.

As for not being far off us and they'll 'play the game in the right way' - there was no evidence of that last night.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:46 am

This [email protected] of intent for a handball baffles me. (Yes we were on the receiving end badly v Legia), but if you jump with your arms away from your side and the ball hits like with O'Connor then it is a hand ball and it was absolutely the right decision.
Assuming that we will improve also, if that is what Rovers have to offer this season then they are at best around the level of Bray latter half of last season and that is probably being gratious! Bradley must have tried to turn the game in to a grudge match for the former Dundalk lads, the O'Connor kicking out at Garts, Meenan's attitude all night and the very first thing Finn does is scythe down O'Donnell - the picture of O'Donnell heading for Finn after that is priceless!!
As far as early season goes there are plenty of positives. The centre of defence is a bit disjointed but not unexpected, maybe Hoare, Vemmellund, or maybe just time and training will help there. We shouldn't expect to be as defensively sound after losing Boyle. I dont think at this point that we have to be too bothered by Gannon and Massey not being at full tilt, Massey could have scored and Gannon's runs off the ball caused grief for Rovers.
Duffy had a good game as did Benson who is off the mark Mountney is a Kevin Kilbane type player - graft, pace, strong and is a worry for any fullback facing him. O'Donnell, well if he keeps putting in a shift like last night he will be top of the heap by seasons end if looking at POTY. McEleney is a joy to watch in the way that he can dip a shoulder and waltz through a box full of defenders, his range of passing too! I have no doubts that he will be another of a good long list of players that will be looked at as potential transfer bait to England.
I thought Kilduff was solid, he is as mobile as he ever has been, was leading on the pitch as a senior player should, he got his goal. He is looking fit and with game time will be a well capable point man to share that responsibility with McMillan and Stewart. We will se more of Clifford, Kinsella, McGrath. Shields back and there is a lovely solid option for varying things in midfield.
Imo the the keepers either need a good run to get confidence up be it Sava or Rogers but neither inspire confidence with kick outs or ball at feet. Shot stopping or in the air its grand but if we are to play out from the back, play posession ball that includes the keeper i'd like to not see the ball end up in the stand or shed so often.

Anyone know the dimensions of the pitch, is it narrower than before

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby grayzer75 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:25 am

The touch line on the shed side has defo moved a foot or two.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Watching the coverage back Brian Kerr was commenting on it being a long and narrow pitch, it didnt seem particularly narrow to me standing in front of the stand. I'd imagine that would have been the managers decision? It should make us more compact at the back (Arsenal at Highbury job) which would help when losing the player that was particularly good at marshelling defence and tough to replace. Losing a star winger, again tough to replace, and our real strength is through the centre of midfield so maybe the wider pitch isnt just as necessary. If McMillan is 1st choice striker he is a ball to feet player rather than getting on the end of crosses (as you would epect Kilduff to be able to) from space out wide. So maybe it is a tweaking of our tactics. Probably its overthinking it but it is curious as it is hardly due to saving money on a few feet of carpet. Could it be to give extra space for a new stand shed side either in an overall stadium plan. It'd be interesting to know, well i'd be interested anyway lol.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm

ShiverinEskimo wrote:Shout out to the ref who had a decent game and didn't bottle any big decisions and didn't let himself get bullied into decisions. Was also wise to rovers stealing yards on every set piece. Rare I praise the standard of refereeing at Oriel but hats off to Neil Doyle. Kept the lid on what was a heated match.

Agree 100%. He had his hand in his back pocket before the lynch party arrived and refused to let Rovers players delay sending him packing. He then took a leaf out of Nigel Owens book and let them all throw handbags for a minute or two. He was always going to book a Dundalk player because of how we reacted. Kilduff was probably done on the basis that he ran the furthest to get involved.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Sensational stat courtesy of Gav McLaughlin

Dundalk's win over Shamrock Rovers means that they have now taken 300 - from a possible 399 - league points in Stephen Kenny's era.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Hull White » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 am

Good solid start for the champions! Looking at the results over the weekend, Limerick might cause a few problems, that was some hiding they gave Sligo!

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:24 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Cant find a post match interview with Bradley? Interested to hear what this brilliant young manager, encouraging an expansive style of football (tee hee), receiving guidance from Arsene Wenger, Michael O'Neill, McPhail, Duff and Hooperman had to say about his sides performance, discipline, etc..

If anyone has a link to his post match comments please post. Didn't see anything with Eir Sport either.

Stumbled across an embarrassingly bad match report on the Rovers website, possibly written by a 7 year old.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/lates ... ock-rovers

Must be the same 7 yr old that thought the 'straight outta Dublin' banner was clever, topical and funny.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Spiderman wrote:Fair response send, also agree with butch young O'Connor left to play football I mean why would he get stick he's only 18 and gone from 4th choice striker at Dundalk to no.1 it seems at Rover's good luck to him is right.

That didn't work out too well

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 pm

The vast majority of strikers (any age, male or female) would have a high opinion of themselves and their ability to score. Thats why they will frusratingly sometimes shoot instead of passing. A good manager will get the player to consider teammates SOMETIMES, while still still believing himself to be the best. I don't think Michael has learnt that yet - and is unlikely to get the help he needs in Tallaght. Pity, because he has the makings of a top class striker.

Return to “General Discussion”