Soccer Republic

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Soccer Republic

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Review of the first weekends matches tonight at 11.15pm and thereafter on RTÉ Player
Soccer Republic
27/02/2017
Peter Collins is joined by Brian Kerr and Richie Sadlier to look back at recent Airtricity League Premier Division fixtures.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Soccer Republic

Postby dieseldlk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Not live on the player. Ffs can they do anything right.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 am

Judging by the Stephen Kenny quotes, we can expect Paddy Barrett & Brian Gartland to be selected against Sligo Rovers and to get a run of matches as the central defence pairing.

'doesn’t concern me' Stephen Kenny defends Dundalk’s defence and insists they can get the balance right after the loss of Andy Boyle

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/63 ... ndy-boyle/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robml88 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 am

Ezeikial wrote:Judging by the Stephen Kenny quotes, we can expect Paddy Barrett & Brian Gartland to be selected against Sligo Rovers and to get a run of matches as the central defence pairing.

'doesn’t concern me' Stephen Kenny defends Dundalk’s defence and insists they can get the balance right after the loss of Andy Boyle

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/63 ... ndy-boyle/

Mainly due to Hoare's injury.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Rogers is first Choice keeper and Kenny has no other option but to play Sava, Gannon Gartland and Massy are no1 picks which leave's 3 fighting it out for that center half position take your pick can't play them all and while we won't hit the panic button yet we have conceded 4 in 2.

Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Mick Mac » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Spiderman wrote:Rogers is first Choice keeper and Kenny has no other option but to play Sava, Gannon Gartland and Massy are no1 picks which leave's 3 fighting it out for that center half position take your pick can't play them all and while we won't hit the panic button yet we have conceded 4 in 2.

1 Pre Season Friendly and 1 deflected effort in a game we won! Crisis at the back!
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Presidents cup against your rivals is not a friendly imo especially when ther is silverware on the table, we lost 3-0 from poor defending not because it was a friendly, ther was a goal scored against us in oriel park no matter how it went in,I never said there was a crisis just making the point we need to tighten up as Kenny said himself.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Preseason has been seriously disrupted both from an injury and venue point of view. Seems to me Friday's performance was streets ahead of the game in Cork. We are going in the right direction. Let's not forget the chasing pack have upped their game big time.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 pm

You are indeed correct Oldfogey, a far better show from Dundalk on Friday last compared with the presidents cup v Cork. I've said previously, it's going to take time for a settled team to emerge & it will happen but Friday's victory was a great start to the new campaign.

On the subject of Soccer Republic, why on earth are RTE showing it at an even later time than last season ? It's crazy. What youngsters are going to see it albeit they can use the Player thingey !!! Even last season I found myself falling asleep half way through, maybe that was down to Rovers been on at the time .....

C'MON THE TOWN:

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am

It was on later last night due to the Oscars and their shenanigans

grayzer
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 am

Spiderman wrote:Presidents cup against your rivals is not a friendly imo especially when ther is silverware on the table, we lost 3-0 from poor defending not because it was a friendly, ther was a goal scored against us in oriel park no matter how it went in,I never said there was a crisis just making the point we need to tighten up as Kenny said himself.

I'm afraid it's still a preseason friendly as Mick Mac said. I've not lost any sleep over losing that game. Let Cork celebrate like they did last year as if they've won the league.

Not too worried about that back 4...yet.
In Kenny we trust.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Hull White » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:04 pm

The Presidents cup is like the charity shield in England. It's a nice to win but doesn't mean you won't win the league if you lose it! Look at Cork last year. As for the back four, Boyle was always going to be a big player to replace in a key position. It will take a good few matches for any new boy to establish a good understanding with Gartland. I think we will be alright though. I am more concerned about Sava. He has been a good and loyal back up but I worry every time the ball comes in our box. I bet the defence does as well. Wether you rate him or not Rogers has a better understanding with the defence. Hopefully, he will return soon and Stephen will make finding a long term replacement a priority. But PL 1 WON 1 DREW 0 LOST 0 so far! Come on the town!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Stephen Kenny has a track record of showing faith and loyalty to players and he was fairly clear about his philosophy in that Irish Sun article

But Kenny leans towards moulding a partnership at the back rather than chopping and changing in an attempt to keep players on their toes.

He explained: “Seán has got great pace. He’s a very good footballer. He’s not tall for a centre-half but neither was Andy.

“Certainly, Paddy and Brian are very good players — Niclas as well. So we’re well served in that area. It’s competitive and that brings its own pressure. Sometimes it’s a balancing act. In the past there have been different philosophies. Some managers think competition breeds excellence
“Some coaches have a completely different view — that it doesn’t, that for a fella to feel stability about his place and know he’s playing enhances the possibility of him playing better.

“I think that is the way I feel. But the problem is that in the modern era, with so many games and the injury record, it’s not realistic.”

It does not mean that Niclas Vemmelund or Sean Hoare can't break into the team - it simply means that he is more likely to stick with a player he believes in, even if he is not playing to his full potential. That said, dropping Rogers late last season showed that SK will not shy away from making a hard decision.

Most would agree that this management style has worked well for SK

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 am

Anyone else left with the feeling we were shortchanged tonight? Johnny McDonnell's use of the plasma was like watching your 8 year old tie their own laces while you're already late for mass. Everything ran late from then on. Our segment was so rushed it was embarrassing. Nothing was said to correct Robertson's moronic attempt to defend the sending off. The kid clearly led with his elbow from the side, in that typical way that inferior strikers try to intimidate defenders. The second one, coming through with studs on a player kicking the ball is a red in itself for a lot of referees.

RTE's production team seemed more obsessed with allocating maximum time to their cringeworthy attempt at humour over the Magoo Park fiasco. It's that deja vu feeling - new season, Dundalk on top, RTE are crap.

Note: I see Derry are offering free admission to the refixed Limerick game, as they failed to issue stubs last Friday and have no way of verifying who was there. Given that the original game was a sell out, this can only end badly. The local fire officer will have a field day. (they issue a ground's safety cert). I might just tip over next Monday for the craic.

dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dieseldlk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:48 pm

At least the rte player has each match highlight separate this season so ya don't have to watch all of them if you don't want to

Return to “General Discussion”