Illuminated Idiots

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Illuminated Idiots

Postby Wexford White » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm looking forward to our next home game but one thing bothers me.
Is the use of flares now to be tolerated? I ask this because nothing seems to have been done about those who set off flares in the shed prior to the Rovers match.
It isn't as if it was difficult to identify the perpetrators.
They are the idiots who are holding illuminated flares next to their faces.

The Back of the Wall

Fwats
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Illuminated Idiots

Postby Fwats » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 am

Every time they are lit they are used on the back pages of papers and on intros and montages on rte/ eir sports because like it or not they look the business and massively add to the visual atmosphere. They are also dangerous and attract fines for the club which obviously isnt a good thing. I'd probably go with young and reckless rather than idiots.

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:12 am

For each flare the Club is fined €500 !!!
For most Players in the League of Ireland - 'that' is a weeks wages!!
A weeks work - up in a puff of smoke!!
Interesting when you look at it, like that!
HP

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Louth4sam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:59 am

There has never been an appetite within the club to do anything about troublemakers and there never will be.

One of these threads starts up at least once a season. People have a moan and a whinge, the stewards are brought up, a stand side supporter says something derogatory about the shed, a shedside supporter takes offence. Rinse and repeat.
One thing I've noticed is it seems to be even younger lads setting them off this year. Was waking out after the Rovers game and it was some lad looked about 13 that set one off.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:15 am

After one of our goals against Rovers, one young lad ran down to the fence in front of the shed with a lit flare in his hand, out in full view of stewards and guards. They obviously know they not much is going to be done.
King Kenny!

shedster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby shedster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 am

Love flares...they add to the atmosphere. Since we are now loaded we can afford the fines ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am

shedster wrote:Love flares...they add to the atmosphere. Since we are now loaded we can afford the fines ;)

Well said. And if the fines don't act as a deterrent the FAI will order the closure of that side of the ground.

Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Mick Mac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm

oldfogey wrote:
shedster wrote:Love flares...they add to the atmosphere. Since we are now loaded we can afford the fines ;)

Well said. And if the fines don't act as a deterrent the FAI will order the closure of that side of the ground.

Never going to happen! What about the few hundred season ticket holders who go that side, is everyone going to be made go stand side?
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

In a simple answer yes! It may take a serious injury for such extreme action but the FAI and even the club may just have act whether season ticket holders noses are out of joint or not. If anything a season ticket holder would suck it up if it was to benefit the club.

The week before the new season a flare was set off in the Marshes Shopping Centre so we might have expected the reemergence of the flares.

Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Mick Mac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:30 pm

dell wrote:In a simple answer yes! It may take a serious injury for such extreme action but the FAI and even the club may just have act whether season ticket holders noses are out of joint or not. If anything a season ticket holder would suck it up if it was to benefit the club.

The week before the new season a flare was set off in the Marshes Shopping Centre so we might have expected the reemergence of the flares.

Id say if the Shed side was closed off, Health and Safety would not allow 3-4000 on one side of the ground, so are we only going to allow season ticket holders in?
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 pm

BALDERDASH.

C'MON THE TOWN:

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm

Mick Mac wrote:
dell wrote:In a simple answer yes! It may take a serious injury for such extreme action but the FAI and even the club may just have act whether season ticket holders noses are out of joint or not. If anything a season ticket holder would suck it up if it was to benefit the club.

Id say if the Shed side was closed off, Health and Safety would not allow 3-4000 on one side of the ground, so are we only going to allow season ticket holders in?

If such a scenario ever happens i'd imagine reduced capacity is possible, it would be a sanction for persistant breach of rules after all.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:10 pm

There's the economic argument shot down in flames. The Health & Safety one was never accepted in the first place by the perpetrators.

I believe that the sanctions route is the only one that is likely to actually work.

Over the years the club has only paid lip service to trying to deal with the problem and appeals on the website, matchday announcements etc will continue as long as it appeases the FAI to the extent that they accept that the club is trying.

Ultimately if the FAI decide to increase the sanctions on the club to a level of pain that is unacceptable (including the possibility of partial/full ground closure) this will force the club to take more substantial action against those responsible
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 am

Could we afford the insurance payout if someone gets a flare in the face? in a packed shed there is a stampede to get out of the way of the flares. someone could easily fall over holding a flare or someone will get trampled upon.

Smoke bombs are fecking gack too.

Return to “General Discussion”