Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Sat 18 March | 7pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Sat 18 March | 7pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:23 pm

A win and a cohesive performance are both required next Saturday night.

While the 3 points are the immediate priority SK will also be mindful of the impending Cork match. Getting improved match fitness into Chris Shields, David McMillan and Thomas Stewart will surely come into the managers thinking.

The unusual kick off time of 7pm will catch some people out

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Bungalow
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Sat 18 March | 7pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Bungalow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Game on tomorrow night against institute in oriel for players to get up to fitness

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm

It was a very tough start to the season fixture wise, but we could get the benefit of a reasonably straightforward end to Series 3 at Season's end - so it has its upside (albeit 'teams fighting for their lives' yadda yadda).

Rovers, Limerick, Derry away, Sligo away (in theory) in the first four is a much tougher proposition than e.g. Cork's Galway at home, Sligo at home, Finn Harps away, Drogheda away. Never nice to lose but 9 points is a decent haul.

You have to think Pats can't stay this poor for long. Fagan got a run the other night. We need a solid victory I think and really need to cut out the conceding stupid shoot ourselves in the foot goals, which lets face it has been a recurring theme going all the way back to last summer.

I'm not worried about Cork yet. Their game in Tallaght is where they need to send out a big statement. They hammered the dross last season too, but the goals dried up against anyone half decent. Their first half performances have all been poor, but they've been very good second half as the poor teams they've played faded. If they beat Rovers then I have to say Id be worried, because I don't really see where they start dropping points before a trip to Derry. If they lose it confirms my suspicions about them - flat track bullies.

Last season we lost a couple of matches to Cork because frankly they *needed* to beat us. We may be in the position of needing to make a big statement in Turners Cross ourselves in a couple of weeks time.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 am

El Paso wrote:
I'm not worried about Cork yet. Their game in Tallaght is where they need to send out a big statement. They hammered the dross last season too, but the goals dried up against anyone half decent. Their first half performances have all been poor, but they've been very good second half as the poor teams they've played faded. If they beat Rovers then I have to say Id be worried, because I don't really see where they start dropping points before a trip to Derry. If they lose it confirms my suspicions about them - flat track bullies.

I really don't get this. You will become worried about Cork if they beat Rovers? It is our performances and results that are relevant.

A win this weekend sets us up for the Cork game.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Pats are due a performance and its only a matter of time before they start getting results after they play us of course,we need a good solid display against pats,fagan and byrne am sure will start for them which means our defending needs to be better,we have conceded 7 goals in 5 since presidents cup this is a must win game.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:06 pm

According to Gerry Malone's post match interview with Stephen Kenny, Stephen O'Donnell is out for "a few more weeks"
https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/993 ... e1b8404501

Subject to fitness this is my preference for next Saturday

------------------------Rogers-----------------------
Gannon------Gartland--------Barrett------Massey
-----------------Shields-------Benson---------------
Mountney--------------McEleney---------------Duffy
------------------------McMillan-----------------------

There are plenty of decisions and choices for SK to make:
Vemmelund V Barrett
Clifford V Benson
McGrath V Mountney
Stewart or Kilduff V McMillan

I also expect Sava and Kinsella to make the bench

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
El Paso wrote:

I really don't get this. You will become worried about Cork if they beat Rovers? It is our performances and results that are relevant.

A win this weekend sets us up for the Cork game.

Is it that hard to get? Pretty straightforward I would have thought. It's a League - everyone's results and performances are relevant.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 pm

El Paso wrote:Is it that hard to get? Pretty straightforward I would have thought. It's a League - everyone's results and performances are relevant.

I suppose I should have been clearer. I understood what you said, but I disagree.

I expect Cork to beat Rovers, but irrespective of the result in that match, it is our own performances and results that are key to retaining the league.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 pm

We need to focus on ourselves only and that means getting back to winning games. You can take the odd defeat, as we have usually backed that up with a string of wins. This is where we have been different in the past 3 seasons to the rest. In cases where our challengers have been in bad form, defeats have been followed up by draws. We need to get a good few wins under our belt now, but it's a tough few weeks with Cork away after Pats at home.

A strong performance and a good result is very important for Sat night, that and getting the defence water tight, these are things we need to be fully switched on for, leading up to the big game away in Cork.

Tighten up at the back, attack wins you games, defence wins you titles.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Cork win over Shamrock Rovers tonight puts then in an excellent position in the table.

It should have absolutely zero relevance to the team going out against St Pats. Performance and result are important

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 am

It goes without saying a win only is what we need today,with pats poor start to the season we must take advantage going in to the big one.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Last nights result makes next week even more important even this early. Cork seem mre resilient and less likely not to capitalise on our slip ups. Win tonight and then go in to the Cork match with the chance to negate their early season momentum. To state the obvious and as alluded to above we dont look at all secure at the back and we need Rogers back in and in form too! Save has had his chances and he is back-up at best with Rogers the clear number 1 and it isnt as if Rogers isnt gaffe prone himself. We have been carrying injuries and there has been a bit of rushing players back only for it to be a step back in the longer run. With the rugby at 5pm and then the match in Oriel ko at 7pm it will be interesting to see the attendance and if it is effected by the Saturday night schedule, the different ko time and after the bank holiday too.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:36 pm

You would have to imagine Rogers will be back in goals tonight. 2 of the 3 goals against Derry were, in my opinion, down to Sava. But for me, it's the 2 boys in front of the keeper that cause most concern. The Gartland/Barrett partnership doesn't fill me with confidence and it really shoes how much of a vital player Boyle was. We might be ok tonight against a miss firing Pats team, but next week Sean Maguire will be rubbing his hands at the thoughts of running at our 2 CBs. It's actually quite worrying.
King Kenny!

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Boyle is playing one division under arguably the best division in world football and imo while Gartland has been brilliant for us along side Boyle in recent seasons I think without Boyle Gartland has struggled and looks average,he's not getting up the field as much either to score goals because he maybe doest trust Barrett if we get caught on the break Boyle is irreplaceable and Barrett is no Andy Boyle.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Pats are poor if Buckley is still in the job by Monday it would be a miracle, thank god for McEleney great performance yet again,next week we must beat Cork with Derry also in fine form.

Return to “General Discussion”