Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Sat 18 March | 7pm | Oriel Pk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk V St Patrick's Ath | Sat 18 March | 7pm | Oriel Pk

Postby Sneachta » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Yup McElhaney was supreme. Absolute pace and strength. His second goal was superb.

Very poor pats. Way way off the pace. Relegation contenders.

Different game against Cork. I think we will be very hard to beat at home this season which will be crucial

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm

A masterclass from Mc Eleney, shaping up to be one of the best players in years to wear a Dundalk shirt & that's no disrespect to Horgan, Towell to name but two. I thought Shields played very well when he came in & I wonder will he start against Cork ? Mountney had another good shift, great shot & save by the Pat's keeper. It's a shame to see Pat's so poor, I've always liked them, they always tried to play football the way it should but over recent times it's not the same for them. Fully deserved 3 points tonight & we move on, most importantly next week is not to lose, no doubt Stephen Kenny will have his team primed & ready to go, really looking forward to Turners Cross next Saturday, hopefully a big Dundalk support to help the team on its way.

C'MON THE TOWN:

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Agree with above, and I think Shields has been earmarked to start next Sat v Cork, perfect time to introduce him and he made tackles and passes to suggest he is the man to step up in the absence of O'Donnell. I think Clifford is decent, but I haven't seen enough of him 'owning' it in the middle, good player but I would rate Shields higher.

I like Mountney, often goes under the radar but puts in a decent shift, he may not be a winger, but he works hard and all teams need a player like him who can mix it, decent shot in the first half, and his short passing is getting better, just needs to get a better cross in at times, but as I said, he's not a winger.

McEleney is a class act, worth the admission money, has to be a shoe in for March player of the month, Good response to the 3-1 defeat on Monday and just great to see a clean sheet too. A good nights work.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Chris Shields tackling wasnt too cute in Cork last year. Cost us the game.

Hoping McMillan starts, or it'll be 10 vs 11 as Kilduff is non-existent. He actually tried to control that McEleney cross, hits him on the side of the leg and dribbles in.

McEleney was brilliant. Bolger will be kicking him from the get-go next week.

Conroy
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Conroy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:57 am

First time me seeing us live last night bar the Rovers game.

Liked what I saw in bits & pieces.

Rogers - Little to do, can't really comment but more confident in him than Sava.

Gannon - Got up and down well, recovery is very impressive when caught out of position.
Barrett - Seems to be getting more comfortable in the team and isn't playing the wonder balls as much.
Gartland - Hacked at a few clearances, will be interesting to see when all fully fit what partnership SK goes with.
Massey - Could be in for a tough season IMO. Isn't going to get much cover from Duffy who tends to roam from left wing to right. Massey got the run around in a first half spell from Pats last night.

Clifford - Like the look of him, plays similar to Skip, and will only get better. Needs to command the game a bit more but that will come with time.
Benson - Great player, links up attack and defence well. Always willing to try a killer pass.
McEleney - Really has come into his own, everything he does is productive. May not always work for him but when it does it's magical.
Mountney - Workhorse, in the side to give balance on the wings imo. Should be on the training ground drilling getting to the byline and whipping in a cross. Will add so much to his game.
Duffy - Very direct player. Like the look of him. Only concern is he tracking back and leaving Massey exposed. It's grand against st pats at home but come Europe it won't be.

Kilduff - Somehow managed to score, which is the most important part of football but I still feel we play with 10 men when he is on.

Shields - Done well, will most likely come in for the Cork game.
McGrath - Didn't really get into the game once on but we where cruising.
McMilan - Needs to get match for, looked off the pace when he came on.

All in all, I feel we have a stronger squad but weaker starting 11. Waiting to see what we do with the centre backs as the season goes on. Would love to see a nailed on duo before the Euro games.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:24 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Chris Shields tackling wasnt too cute in Cork last year. Cost us the game.

Hoping McMillan starts, or it'll be 10 vs 11 as Kilduff is non-existent. He actually tried to control that McEleney cross, hits him on the side of the leg and dribbles in.

McEleney was brilliant. Bolger will be kicking him from the get-go next week.

Had to think back there, he did indeed get sent off, in the first half too, some said it was harsh, I remember it was a silly tackle, he gave the ref no choice, so he put under huge pressure for sure.

I wasn't at that match but I was fortunate to be there for the superb 2-1 win in April 2015, Towell may have got both goals, but Shields was superb, for me this was his best ever game in a Dlk shirt.

grayzer
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:Chris Shields tackling wasnt too cute in Cork last year. Cost us the game.

It wasn't even a free kick, never mind a red card - very harsh there.
In Kenny we trust.

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 am

mike wrote:Agree with above, and I think Shields has been earmarked to start next Sat v Cork, perfect time to introduce him and he made tackles and passes to suggest he is the man to step up in the absence of O'Donnell. I think Clifford is decent, but I haven't seen enough of him 'owning' it in the middle, good player but I would rate Shields higher.

I really like Clifford. He has a better positional sense than Shields and better passer. He does a lot of work under the radar but he works his socks off. Likes Skipper he makes things look simple. Shields is always going to throw himself into tackles and makes crazy lunges cos at times his control isn't always up to scratch. Opposite teams have made it difficult for Chris and targeted him. For me Clifford starts on Sat.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

grayzer wrote:

It wasn't even a free kick, never mind a red card - very harsh there.

Unless I'm confusing it with another Shields incident, it was 100% a sending off. He was totally out of control.

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby rummy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm

I think you are. Shields won the ball but Beattie leaped in the air screaming which might have convinced the ref it was a red

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The Undertaker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Em...looks like a red card to me...

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/738818839425785856

Out of control, airbourne and two footed.
There ain't no grave can hold my body down.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm

It was def a red he led with two feet, and from memory, I cant play that link on this, there was no need to go in like that. Water under the bridge now, he has matured since.

Its good we have options though, and good ones at that. Really looking forward to the match now, nice weekend of football with the Ireland match and a possible run for Horgan too on the Fri.

I would be very confident we can get a result, not sure about winning, might be too early in the season, but I don't see us losing.

Return to “General Discussion”