Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:16 pm

I thought we were well in the game & Cork's first goal was against the run of play, that said we never dominated the game after that bar the last 10 mins but even at that it was hoof ball with little or no direction. I don't know what Rogers was flying off his line for their second, it looked silly from where I was standing. Massey should have done better beforehand anyway. Clifford doesn't cut it for me at all, he was off the pace for all of his time on the park. Shields played well however, he's clearly not match fit but this will come soon. Mc Millan played good & took his goal very well.

There is something missing alright, there is no cutting edge to yesterday's performance, hopefully this will get addressed quickly, yes still very early days, I'm not overly concerned yet. The Drogs game Friday is now a highly important game & a must win.

C'MON THE TOWN:

The Undertaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The Undertaker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 am

Dell, Spiderman is the O'Connor's father or uncle...blatantly obvious there.

A lot of nonsense spouted on this thread but also a lot of truth. I can't understand all the criticism Rogers is getting here. I don't think he did an awful lot wrong for either goal. Massey should have dealt with it better for the second and as for the first, why oh why is our defensive midfielder trying to be fancy when not needed? He did the same in Cork last year and cost us. That was the game done there. Saturday was nothing got to do with Shields not being match fit or anything. It was him making another silly mistake. The myth that he is one of our best players is finally dying. He runs around, looks busy and everyone thinks he's top class but he costs us.

Thought Stewart did ok when he came on, offered us presence. Duffy was decent as was McEleney but had to come too deep for the ball. Mountney was non existent yet again. Gannon is struggling because he has nothing in front of him. Clifford was ok and unlucky with his injury. Yesterday showed how crucial McMillan is to our style of play. We need someone to run the lines up front and while I don't agree with some of the over the top slating of Kilduff, he isn't the man to do that job.

I see people calling for Paddy Barrett to be dropped. Why? He has been our best defender this year by a distance. Garts has been the issue for me. Hoare is an excellent defender as is Vemmelund - who I think has done very well when he has come in and could be key in turning things around.

Good to see that there are still some people here who love to complain about Kenny whenever things go a little awry. It's obvious he isn't blind to the issues. He has just delivered some of the greatest history in the club's history...maybe some of you are blind to that!!

Not even gona start on some of the stupidity that came out of Handsome Prince because it's not even worth acknowledging.

It's March, nothing fatal yet but we need to get going quickly with a nice run of fixtures. Cork aren't flawless. I felt that we gifted them two goals and other than that they didn't have much about them so not convinced they are this great team that people are making them out to be but we have a chance now to settle, win a few games and close the six point gap. There's no need for panic.
There ain't no grave can hold my body down.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 am

A lot of things went against us on Sat, definite pen not given, the disallowed goal, will need to watch that again though, and not having key players available or fully fit.

I think I read in the Indo that SK said we didn’t deserve to lose, I`m not so sure, still think we were not near enough a threat, and the dreadful run v Cork continues.

It’s a disappointing defeat, but we need to move on now, and string some wins together. Things can change quickly, one defeat for them and we can get it back to 3 points, but we need to improve, hopefully the players returning to fitness will help, but Benson out and no date for O’Donnell to return is not good, I'm also not convinced on Clifford.

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Hard luck people. Decent enough game and i think we could both play far better, but i'm happy enough our game is starting to come together a bit. Bolger and then a late call on Beattie were a big loss for us. We still played a high intensity game and with the rest of the quality we have it always gives you a chance.

May i just say one thing regarding your defenders. Gartland and Barrett are to similar and if you get in behind them they are both in trouble. I thought Barrett looked a far superior player on the day though.

SK giving out about the pitch on The Independent is very odd. I am presuming any of you that were there seen the pitch was in very good condition.

See you in June for Round 2.

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Kezz wrote:Hard luck people. Decent enough game and i think we could both play far better, but i'm happy enough our game is starting to come together a bit. Bolger and then a late call on Beattie were a big loss for us. We still played a high intensity game and with the rest of the quality we have it always gives you a chance.

May i just say one thing regarding your defenders. Gartland and Barrett are to similar and if you get in behind them they are both in trouble. I thought Barrett looked a far superior player on the day though.

SK giving out about the pitch on The Independent is very odd. I am presuming any of you that were there seen the pitch was in very good condition.

See you in June for Round 2.

Watched the game on TV and thought the pitch was bit uneven, the ball seemed to slow unexpectedly and players lost their footing quite a few times. The first goal was made easier by our CB slipping.

That said we misplaced a lot of passes. Tried to be too clever passing out of defence and into midfield when surface was poor and our m/f were poorer. Disappointed Clifford didn't start. Shields is a great player but when teams are pressing you Shields doesn't have passing or ball control in really tight situations.
Defensively Gart's distribution was very poor and numerous clearances were sliced/hacked. Unless Rogers called for Massey to leave it for the second goal I cant see how he is to blame. Massey was asleep.

Off day all round. O'Donnell is prob 2 weeks away I hear.

Its a six point gap in March - not in the last few weeks of season. It is not time to panic. Laughable reaction by some here who seem to have short memories and little faith in a magnificent manager and squad.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Pitch wasn't good at all. No surprise given the rain last couple of months and the number of lower level games that get played on it. Was similarly poor this time last year. Maybe the FAI will lay them another one this summer again?
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Is Kenny really commenting on the star of the pitch from oriel park????

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

state not star of the pitch!

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedsteve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm

francie wrote:Is Kenny really commenting on the star of the pitch from oriel park????

Not sure where he was when he said that. Prob a media room I'd imagine.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Yep - we've listened to a lot of holier than thou guff from clubs who think their cabbage patches deserve a free pass because the grass is real.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 pm

my tuppence worth for that it is worth. we didn't play well we were very slow and sluggish and didn't deserve anything from the game. however the ref didn't help matters. stonewall penalty imho and I felt there was a shout also for a handball later on. not sure why our goal was disallowed?
I wouldn't blame Rogers for either goal. he should have hoofed the ball in the first minute of game mind you. For the first , Shields lost possession and Clifford couldn't catch Maguire. he looked one paced. Didn't help that Barrett then fell over. For the second goal Massey should have reacted to the danger sooner and when he didn't Rogers was left in limbo. Massey looks off the pace this season but in reality that is because Duffy doesn't track back and defend. For me I don't know how people said Duffy played well. He gets the ball and tries to offload it straight away by passing it backwards. Do your job man and try to beat your marker. Cork put 2 men on McEleney which effectively put him out of the game. As colly said earlier, Barrett thinks he is Beckenbauer, and Garts never had pace and is easy to turn and get in behind. But for the previous 4 years we have had Boyle to cover this up. Both Garts and Barrett are easily turned by a man with pace. Time for the new guard Vemmelund and Hoare to start if I am honest. We lost midfield the entire game if we are honest. There was no drive or determination from the mf. It looks like we are still in pre season mode very sluggish but then again it will take time for the new squad to gel. Kilduff had a poor game. He can't lead the line on his own.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kezz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

El Paso wrote:Pitch wasn't good at all. No surprise given the rain last couple of months and the number of lower level games that get played on it. Was similarly poor this time last year. Maybe the FAI will lay them another one this summer again?

You must be living in some sort of dreamworld to be critical of the pitch. I genuinely mean this, but if If all some Dundalk fans can grab at after losing to City, is make up some fantasy story about the pitch the you are most definetly papering over your real problems. That is, your two CB's are very poor and you have a right full in Gannon that never stops drifting out of position. Add to that your clear lack of potency upfront. Have i mentioned your goalkeeper?

We drew mistakes out of your players with our high intensity approach. That does not mean you can use the excuse of having an off-day. Some of your players could not stand up to that pressure.

The problem about the pitch only stems from SK's comments. It was in tip top shape. SK's real gripe is that we did not water it enough to suit his team's game. Why should we do that? It's not in some sort of lawbook is it?

By the way, El Paso. I always say every forum has one and you are most certainly that one on this forum. Think about it.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:11 pm

The one observation of note apart from the game itself was that the Turners Cross pitch plays slow and passes need to be weighted heavier. Dundalk were underplaying passes and the ball did hold up but passing was wayward all too often also. Whether it is due to being uneven or unwatered I dont know but I dont see it being used as an excuse by anyone. It is what it is and while SK and Dundalk fans all recognise where the team needs to improve after a poor result it doesnt mean that penalty shouts, disallowed goals, absentees or physicality is off the table for discussion. Cork got their tactics spot on and lasted the pace of their high intensity for 90 minutes. If a team deserved 3 points it was Cork rather than Dundalk. You will find Kezz that El Paso is both very knowlegable about his football and is also very familiar with Cork so to make an off the cuff judgement would be a foolish thing to do! One thing I am sure EP knows all too well is the ability of the people of Cork to be full of self praise and we all know what that is!
Last edited by dell on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Where did I say the pitch was an excuse for losing? Same for both sides. You're good at straw man nonsense. Just pointing out Kenny is right that it wasn't great. Did, or did not, the FAI have to replace it for the Ireland match last summer?

I live in Cork - I go to more Cork City matches than approx 3,000 Cork people that were there on Saturday.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 pm

P.S. It's not even your pitch, you only borrow it for a fraction of the upkeep cost. So don't take it personally.

Return to “General Discussion”