Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

davidwsally
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby davidwsally » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 pm

[quote="Kezz"][quote="El Paso"]
You must be living in some sort of dreamworld

Most of us know everything you've pointed out...
but 2-1 isn't exactly a hammering...I'm not panicking yet...
but no doubt we need to "gel" as people keep putting it sooner rather than later...



User avatar
Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1856
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Johnny Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Don't know if I am more disappointed with the result or the performance. Most of the issues have been pointed out, some of which are OTT with ridiculous anecdotes on certain players but the performance was poor and not what you'd expect from a kenny side.

The result is what it is and hopefully is the kick up the arse that some of the lads need to up their game. There are 26 games to claw back 6 off cork but there is no margin of error from here on in.

Few games coming up where we need to get 3 points and hopefully build some momentum up and when we face cork again make sure the gap isn't more than 6 points
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby francie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 am

shedsteve wrote:
francie wrote:Is Kenny really commenting on the star of the pitch from oriel park????


Not sure where he was when he said that. Prob a media room I'd imagine.


Or maybe inside a giant bitter lemon

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am
Location: Gartland's Pocket
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby robml88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 am

Kezz wrote:
El Paso wrote:Pitch wasn't good at all. No surprise given the rain last couple of months and the number of lower level games that get played on it. Was similarly poor this time last year. Maybe the FAI will lay them another one this summer again?



You must be living in some sort of dreamworld to be critical of the pitch. I genuinely mean this, but if If all some Dundalk fans can grab at after losing to City, is make up some fantasy story about the pitch the you are most definetly papering over your real problems. That is, your two CB's are very poor and you have a right full in Gannon that never stops drifting out of position. Add to that your clear lack of potency upfront. Have i mentioned your goalkeeper?

We drew mistakes out of your players with our high intensity approach. That does not mean you can use the excuse of having an off-day. Some of your players could not stand up to that pressure.

The problem about the pitch only stems from SK's comments. It was in tip top shape. SK's real gripe is that we did not water it enough to suit his team's game. Why should we do that? It's not in some sort of lawbook is it?

By the way, El Paso. I always say every forum has one and you are most certainly that one on this forum. Think about it.

How insulting and arrogant can one be towards fans on their own forum?

The game itself was not a great example of how good the LOI can be. I'm sure it had a good audience on TV as there wasn't much else on around that time. All they witnessed was the team that sits top of the league hoof the ball forward at any opportunity, while the defending champions tried to break them down with it on the deck, to then resort to hoof ball themselves.

It was a terrible game of football and that can't be argued, but what also can't be argued is that we aren't getting enough protection from the referees anytime we play Cork. I don't know how Buckley managed to last nearly the whole first half without picking up a booking. He went in hard on Shields off the ball and the ref saw it as he pointed at it, and then didn't book him when the ball went out of play. It happens every match now when you're playing us that you target Shields and the refs aren't doing anything to protect him.

I have to admit that it really does seem that Caufield has the measure of us, and that is hard to say as he's such a hateful little man, but there is no way that any Cork fan can say that they aren't a route one team and have a squad of hatchet men. Fair enough it keeps working against us, but it is truly awful to watch.

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Kartoffel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

robml88 wrote:
Kezz wrote:
El Paso wrote:Pitch wasn't good at all. No surprise given the rain last couple of months and the number of lower level games that get played on it. Was similarly poor this time last year. Maybe the FAI will lay them another one this summer again?



You must be living in some sort of dreamworld to be critical of the pitch. I genuinely mean this, but if If all some Dundalk fans can grab at after losing to City, is make up some fantasy story about the pitch the you are most definetly papering over your real problems. That is, your two CB's are very poor and you have a right full in Gannon that never stops drifting out of position. Add to that your clear lack of potency upfront. Have i mentioned your goalkeeper?

We drew mistakes out of your players with our high intensity approach. That does not mean you can use the excuse of having an off-day. Some of your players could not stand up to that pressure.

The problem about the pitch only stems from SK's comments. It was in tip top shape. SK's real gripe is that we did not water it enough to suit his team's game. Why should we do that? It's not in some sort of lawbook is it?

By the way, El Paso. I always say every forum has one and you are most certainly that one on this forum. Think about it.

How insulting and arrogant can one be towards fans on their own forum?

The game itself was not a great example of how good the LOI can be. I'm sure it had a good audience on TV as there wasn't much else on around that time. All they witnessed was the team that sits top of the league hoof the ball forward at any opportunity, while the defending champions tried to break them down with it on the deck, to then resort to hoof ball themselves.

It was a terrible game of football and that can't be argued, but what also can't be argued is that we aren't getting enough protection from the referees anytime we play Cork. I don't know how Buckley managed to last nearly the whole first half without picking up a booking. He went in hard on Shields off the ball and the ref saw it as he pointed at it, and then didn't book him when the ball went out of play. It happens every match now when you're playing us that you target Shields and the refs aren't doing anything to protect him.

I have to admit that it really does seem that Caufield has the measure of us, and that is hard to say as he's such a hateful little man, but there is no way that any Cork fan can say that they aren't a route one team and have a squad of hatchet men. Fair enough it keeps working against us, but it is truly awful to watch.


Agreed 100% regarding buckley deserving a yellow first half. but the old memory is a bit selective there. There was a strong case for a red for Gartland when he hacked down (i think) sheppard.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:26 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby dell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am

He caught Maguire late but there was minimal contact as Magure really hurdled the tackle and went over. His pace and clse control against the slower Gartland and Barrett it wasnt a surprise that there was an wasy enough card coughed up - yellow yes but red would have been ott. Mountney had a a good bit o swelling under the eye and i'd shay has a lovely black eye since. I didnt see where he picked that injury up and there was no crying about it but he didnt get it from a hand shake!!

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby el-pietro » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Thought it was a great game personally, two good passing moves to create the goals, but sure complain all you like. As if your own team plays nothing but perfect football and shows absolutely no cynicism. Even if there was only one way to play football it wouldn't matter as we won.

robml88
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am
Location: Gartland's Pocket
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby robml88 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 pm

el-pietro wrote:Thought it was a great game personally, two good passing moves to create the goals, but sure complain all you like. As if your own team plays nothing but perfect football and shows absolutely no cynicism. Even if there was only one way to play football it wouldn't matter as we won.

You must not have even been in Cork on Saturday. Two good passing moves? A lump over the top for Maguire to use his speed on the counter and then cut it back, and a mistake by our defence to gift you a second.

I'm not complaining either, you won, congratulations. There is no need to be so stubborn in admitting that yous play a certain way, and why not, it works for yous.

User avatar
Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Kezz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Dundalk had a fine run in europe and now they think they are the only team that plays football on the floor. It seems you learned many of your other habits in europe too. I am referring to the diving and the constant badgering of the officials to have the opposition booked or sent off. Of course none of you see this at all at all.

I have some guy above calling my post insulting yet i'm responding to someone who constantly refers to us as "bottlers". It really would make you laugh. No problem either calling our manager names despite the real fact that he is a very decent man. You should take a look at your own misery on the line. Moan, moan, moan is all he does.

Some of you boys don't like teams standing up to you as you thought you could outbully us all. Well the tide has turned. Your S&C had you far ahead of most and you revelled in it. Now the muscles are on the other foot and you don't like it.

See you in June and thanks for Seanie.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3490
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:48 pm

This is what happens when you openly welcome other fans on to your forum. If it was decent debate, great, but 9 pages of nonsense later....

Well done Cork, you absolutely deserved your win. You have a Munster derby to look forward to now. Head on over to the Limerick forum and tell them how great ye are and how bad they are. I'm sure you will get the reaction you are looking for.

Kartoffel
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Kartoffel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

robml88 wrote:
el-pietro wrote:Thought it was a great game personally, two good passing moves to create the goals, but sure complain all you like. As if your own team plays nothing but perfect football and shows absolutely no cynicism. Even if there was only one way to play football it wouldn't matter as we won.

You must not have even been in Cork on Saturday. Two good passing moves? A lump over the top for Maguire to use his speed on the counter and then cut it back, and a mistake by our defence to gift you a second.

I'm not complaining either, you won, congratulations. There is no need to be so stubborn in admitting that yous play a certain way, and why not, it works for yous.


This is the best comment of the day. Eh, the ball was played along the floor to maguire, because your full back was AWOL and nobody was covering.

User avatar
Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:19 am
Location: Yorkshire
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Hull White » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Lads of both sides, please get a grip. There are 6 games gone. Europe, great as it was, affected our pre season preparation greatly. The team will get better as the season progresses. I think we will be pushed all the way this year by Cork and Derry but we will prevail in the end. I thought the game was poor enough but on the night the better team won.....just. We have some problems, Boyle is a massive loss as I thought he would be. Barrett is a very good player but he is struggling, Gartland is finding that not having Boyler to mop up for him a real problem as Barrett is not as good. Gannon is confused at the moment because when Boyle was there he knew he only had to be a full back, now he has to cover because the pair in the middle are struggling and it is affecting him. Rogers is all right, let him get on with it. Who was available that was better? Kilduff..........everyone knows my opinion on him and it hasn't changed. He looks fitter but he will never be a good striker at this level, cue the brickbats! Again, I was put in my place about Maguire by everyone on here but I can't help feeling if we had played him more often he would be with us. BUT, it will come right. Stephen knows his job and his players and apart from Kilduff, I don't think he has made many mistakes. I have read on here that the Drogs game is a "Must win", what garbage? If we are still 6 points behind with half a dozen games to go then all games are must win! Cork will drop points, Derry will drop points along the way. I believe that Cork won't play much better than against us and we can improve by 50% at least and we will beat them at home. So all calm down and enjoy yourselves watching the matches! Come on the town!

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby El Paso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I'd agree with that. I was more worried before the game than after. At 2-0 Cork really could have pushed on and laid down a marker. Instead they threatened to bottle it and saw the game out by hoofing it and hoping we'd make another mistake. The smell of fear when we got one back was all around the ground. We know we can get better. If I was them I'd want people to think they can be much better, because by full time they didn't look like heirs to our throne.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby El Paso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Kezz wrote:Dundalk had a fine run in europe and now they think they are the only team that plays football on the floor. Some of you boys don't like teams standing up to you as you thought you could outbully us all.


No, that would be the three League titles in a row, out-scoring everybody with goals from all over the pitch and the best away record in a generation.

Also 'bullies' don't win the Fair Play award two years in a row either.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby magarnagle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Kezz wrote:Dundalk had a fine run in europe and now they think they are the only team that plays football on the floor. It seems you learned many of your other habits in europe too. I am referring to the diving and the constant badgering of the officials to have the opposition booked or sent off. Of course none of you see this at all at all.


I was debating whether to add to this thread as it has turned to pure nonsense but when I seen this I couldn't resist so you've reeled me in which I think has been your objective all along. I do hope you're on the wind-up otherwise you must be the most blinkered fan I've ever some across. McGuire is a fine player but Saturday just hammered home the fact that he is a diver, he spent half of the game on the ground, luckily Rogers didn't buy the majority of it because it got ridiculous. And badgering the ref? You do know Dundalk were playing in white yes? At one point the entire Cork team (minus McNumpty) had surrounded Rogers, he would have a case to sue for harassment after Saturday. The rest of your boys certainly made up for the absence of the mouth in the middle.

Right that's me done, I feel dirty for even replying to your nonsense, see you in June!


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests