Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby dell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:46 pm

We deserved not to get 3 points. The questions on the pitch well I felt it was a slow pitch that needed neavier weighting on a pass but we should have adapted to that. We were 2nd to the breaking ball, hesitated and let the high pressing game get to us. At the back well we have been used to being solid and I agree that the big loss is Boyle in martialing a defence but even Boyle needs a vocal and confident keeper. We looked a bit pre-season imo. It is far from a done deal in flipping March but Cork are on the type of roll that we are used to, I can see us dropping points before they do. There is a penalty shout but that would paper ove cracks, Kilduff sending off was soft although I dont think it would have made a difference if he was still on the pitch. Cork had their tactics spot on and it didnt help with the injuries but I doubt SK will look for excuses - the work rate of Cork to stifle us was exceptional to use a Kennyism.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 pm

White Horse wrote:I thought it was mostly Massey's fault too. However, Rogers could have conceded a goal in the first minute with a delayed clearance.

The game changer was losing Benson. He started very brightly and I thought that we would comfortably win the midfield battle with him on the pitch.

Once he went off, Cork took hold of midfield and we gave away easy possession that allowed them to expose our back four.

However, they only won by one goal in a game where we had a lot of injury problems and were denied a clear penalty.

People are very disappointed this evening but we will get better. There is a long way to go yet.

That was a heart in mouth moment alright but the ball took a horrible bobble as it came to him. He prob should have just swung at it though

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:45 pm

We could be doing with our on loan striker Ciaran O'Connor back he's more goals than any of our strikers with another winner for Finn harps tonight.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:08 pm

dell wrote: Kilduff sending off was soft although I dont think it would have made a difference if he was still on the pitch.

Sad but true today
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:58 pm

Spiderman wrote:We could be doing with our on loan striker Ciaran O'Connor back he's more goals than any of our strikers with another winner for Finn harps tonight.

I think he will be recalled in the summer transfer window especially if his form continues. Can I ask Spiderman what your particular interest of the O'Connors is? It may not be a fair question but the defence of the badge kissing Michael; the lauding of Ciarán is fair enough and who we all would like to see back in our squad at minimum in the summer, you are certainly their no.1 fan. Poynton has been recognised by the FAI for his performances for the international side yet hast been mentioned for a recall albeit in a well covered position in midfield. We could do with a young up and coming keeper on the books!

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:40 pm

Because there local dell that's it,we have a habit of putting our own down or hoping they fail,just because the lad is playing for Rover's doest matter to me, like the kid is 18 he'll look back in year's to come and probably regret it when he's a bit more mature,am a big fan of all local sports people home and away ie.aussie rules jockeys boxing we have locals involved in all sports we should be proud of everyones success not be hypocrites when I was 18 I couldn't make a cup of tea never mind play in the loi.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:22 am

Not wanting to derail the thread but I have to take exception to the 'habit of putting our own down'! I have not heard too many wanting anything but success for locals be it Tiernan Mulvenna, Marc Griffen, even Conor McCormack and we can go back to the 2002 cup winners like Chris Lawless, Ciarán Kavanagh, John Whyte, the Malones. Many local players that plyed their trade with rivals (mostly Drogheda) like Shane Grimes and never were begrudged. There are many many local players over the years and few copped any flack in Lilywhite shirts or other colours! I dont see you calling on the likes of McCormack to be signed if it is down to supporting our own. Your interest in the U19''s/Youths is commendable for sure but when it come to the O'Connors they can do no wrong it seems. Ciarán is doing a job with Harps and not only getting senior game time but scoring too, we will be glad to see him back in Oriel. Michael is younger and needs to get the head down wherever he is at with less of the eh...attitude - from one of our own.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Sat 25 Mar | 3pm | Turner's Cross

Postby Sneachta » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 am

Ezeikial wrote:
dell wrote: Kilduff sending off was soft although I dont think it would have made a difference if he was still on the pitch.

Sad but true today

I don't think the sending off was soft at all. Two deserved yellows for foolishness. If he did what he did for the first yellow in Europe or the premier league he'd get a straight red. Not one jot of pity for him on the sending off

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Handsome Prince
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Handsome Prince » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 am

Oh what a day to be a Dundalk Fan!!
Most of what has been said so far is all true.
There were many facets to this game. They were very good, clinical, well organised and had a game plan.
We didn't. When Benson was injured, the whole game changed. His replacement Clifford's name was hardly mentioned during the game. Lots of mistakes and although Shiels for the first and Massey for the second, Rogers was not good, not good at all.
We seem to have lost the ability to pass the ball. The amount of times the ball was hoofed into row z was serious?? What has happened to this great 'footballing' team. Cork were by far the better team and deserved their win.
I, like many of you am very much in the "What does Stephen Kenny see in Kilduff" camp ???
Oh sweet Jesus - he is so bad!!!
As l have said before, l have been following Dundalk for many years and spent many years in the Dressing Room listening to players and managers - but l have to be honest. Kilduff is the worst player l have seen pulling on that white jersey. l don't know if he's afraid, but he is certainly cowardly. The only time he is aggressive is, like today, at set plays when he tries to push people who maybe tugging at him!! He can't jump, he can't tackle and he can't control the ball. His goals are all the result of other players work.
l don't give a shit about how 'brilliant' he is in Training, and 'he's lightning in training, first to everything' and he's the fittest player. If all these comments about him are true - then it is even sadder that he won't put in a 'shift' for his teammates on the pitch.
The players have obviously no faith in him up front and he is just ballast.
He contribution to todays game was, well 'nothing' really.
Next season he'll be lucky to be with Cherry Orchard.
In fact if he had of been sent off in the first few minutes we would have been better off, as the team really upped their game when he left the pitch.
In fact when McMillan came on the game really changed, and we developed some threat.
But in the interest of fairness, there were several others who really need to look at themselves.
Rogers - well, enough has been said already.
The back 4 - what a seismic shift from last year???
Clifford??
Steward??
Duffy and McEleny tried but Cork had their measure, right enough.
But overall it was a very bad day at the Office, and Cork have us on the rack.
l suppose we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but if there is nothing then someone needs to pull Stephen Kenny aside and get him to deal with this 2 HUGE bloody problems. If not, there will be no Manager of the Months, let alone Year, and there will be very few fans coming through the turnstiles!!!
Oh and just in case any of you think 'I' have a vendetta against Kilduff. I don't, I'm no ones cousin, or brother or have shares in the Club. Just an avid fan who loves the bones of the Club, and I hate seeing it being treated with disrespect. Also I hope that he reads these posts, because he needs to read these posts. He is supposedly a Professional. Professionals behave according to a Code of Ethics - and sadly in my opinion, he doesn't!! It might just be time to step aside and let the next in line step up to the plate.
as ever
HP.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:25 am

Sneachta wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Sad but true today

I don't think the sending off was soft at all. Two deserved yellows for foolishness. If he did what he did for the first yellow in Europe or the premier league he'd get a straight red. Not one jot of pity for him on the sending off

Well with a suspension pending now McMillan is back on the team sheet and Stewert as back up. For a couple of game anyway.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:14 am

Dell we won't fall out mate its only football.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 am

Sneachta wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Sad but true today

My "Sad but true" comment related to the opinion expressed that it made little difference to the effectiveness of the team whether he was sent off or stayed on the pitch. Some even suggest that the team was improved by going down to 10 men!

I have no complaints about the sending off
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:54 am

Its going to be very difficult to bridge the 6 point gap with Cork, and they are on fire, but it is still early days with 7 months of football still to be played. They have a few tough games ahead, Limerick and Derry, but they were better than us yesterday, that's for sure.

A lot of players were just not good enough yesterday for us, Kilduff was terrible, Massey didn't look the player he was in previous seasons, Gartland was good, but I'm not sure about Paddy, Id like to see Hoare given a chance in there with BG. We were poor in central MF, injuries in there was a huge factor, but I`m not convinced by Clifford, heard he played well in Sligo, but they are a terrible side. We had a nice 10 min spell after HT and it was much better with McMillan on, but overall we never really posed them a threat.

I`ll repeat by saying still early days, but maybe supporters might need to re-evaluate their hopes for the season, 4 in a row was always going to be tough, but we still have loads to look forward to, we'll challenge all season, Europe to look forward to also, so keep positive everyone !!!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:01 pm

We walked the double in 2015 in large part due to making a big statement in Turners Cross that April. I don't think they made a statement yesterday. We were poor and still could have got a draw with ten men. They were teetering on the edge of a bottle job towards the end.

My concern would be, thinking about that game two years ago, our work rate was miles off. No pressing, standing off loose balls, not showing for passes fast enough. All those things can be fixed.

As I said we're playing catch up now and they'll be favourites. Let's see if they choke. Again.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

mike wrote:I`ll repeat by saying still early days, but maybe supporters might need to re-evaluate their hopes for the season, 4 in a row was always going to be tough, but we still have loads to look forward to, we'll challenge all season, Europe to look forward to also, so keep positive everyone !!!

My pre-season hopes included winning 4-in-a-row league titles - are you seriously suggesting that this is no longer a valid hope and that I should down-grade this to be satisfied with some sort of a title challenge?

That's simply not how being a football fan works.

Being 6 points off the top is not a familiar position for us over the last 3 seasons, but the answers to all the problems (except perhaps the goalkeeping issue) lies within the current squad.

Return to “General Discussion”