Loan Watch

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Loan Watch

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 am

El Paso wrote:CO'C confirmed at Bohs on loan. Wonder if that was part of the price of moving the game to tomorrow.

Is the Georgie Poynton loan deal (where we reportedly agreed to pay his wages) not akin to paying Bohs to move a fixture? Is that allowed? Would there be any comment from other clubs if the title race was closer?

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 am

I doubt it is allowed as part of the terms of a loan agreement but it could never be proven as pasrt of a chat between the 2 clubs. It would be pretty common for a player to go out on loan on the condition that they get played and if they turn out to be important to a club that isnt awash with money a implied recall unless there is no objection to a fixture change could happen. Even in a closer race Cork and their like could stamp the feet as much as they want as if the 2 clubs agree thats it. If anything the ability to make a player unavailable to play against their parent club is a more contentious part of any loan deal that is legal - with 2 players at Bohs now and say O'Connor was scoring regularly and Poynton a midfield lynchpin, there would be some amount of non sportsman like allegations if they were weakened when playing us.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:38 pm

dell wrote:I doubt it is allowed as part of the terms of a loan agreement but it could never be proven as pasrt of a chat between the 2 clubs. It would be pretty common for a player to go out on loan on the condition that they get played and if they turn out to be important to a club that isnt awash with money a implied recall unless there is no objection to a fixture change could happen. Even in a closer race Cork and their like could stamp the feet as much as they want as if the 2 clubs agree thats it. If anything the ability to make a player unavailable to play against their parent club is a more contentious part of any loan deal that is legal - with 2 players at Bohs now and say O'Connor was scoring regularly and Poynton a midfield lynchpin, there would be some amount of non sportsman like allegations if they were weakened when playing us.

There is definitely some room for some nod and a wink stuff with loans, although I suspect that it is rare.

Loan recalls are technically possible, but the player could not play for the parent club until the next window - hardly likely for the player to be happy with this if it was invoked!

It is possible for a club to get a player free on loan. The player must get paid as per his contract by the parent club and then the loan club pays the parent club whatever is agreed between them - it may well be possible that the parent club agrees to waive this payment!

Interestingly we operate the opposition to the EPL where it is against league rules for a loan player to play against the parent club - here it is not possible to make this a binding condition, but it tends to operate more like a gentleman's agreement
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 pm

The first and last sentences are a little contradictory with the wink and nod stuff rare but loan player not playing a parent club operates more as gentlemans agreement or a nice wink and nod. We were paying full wages to both loanees I thought anyhow which is generous not to expect some contribution from the loan clubs.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Bohs pay the loanees wages not dundalk.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:45 pm

dell wrote:The first and last sentences are a little contradictory with the wink and nod stuff rare but loan player not playing a parent club operates more as gentlemans agreement or a nice wink and nod. We were paying full wages to both loanees I thought anyhow which is generous not to expect some contribution from the loan clubs.

It's difficult to make out your post, but I will try to clarify

The league rules are that the parent club must continue to pay the players contract. It is up to the two clubs to negotiate what the arrangement is between them. I have no idea what has been agreed between the club and Bohs in relation to Georgie Poynton & Ciaran O'Connor but they must be paid as per the contract lodged with the FAI by Dundalk

The league rules also do not allow for an enforceable term that the loanee does not play against the parent club. Put another way, playing the loanee against the parent club would not attract disciplinary action from the FAI, but would obviously sour a relationship between the clubs if a verbal agreement was reneged on.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 am

I know the workings of loan deals - I have hundreds of hours on Football Manager after all
My point is simply that often in this league, due to a lack of certain rules eg playing a parent club, most loan deals are done with a chat and a hand shake or a wink and a nod. Any agreement not to play loan players against us, in absence of specific rules' then the agreement not to play the player is very similar than leveraging the loaning of a player for a change of ixture. A fixture that would have a much lower attendance that a Friday. I am sure Bohs are hoping that overall the loan signings from us, through their perormances, will negate any lossed revenue from the refixture mide week.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:06 am

dell wrote:I know the workings of loan deals - I have hundreds of hours on Football Manager after all

They say ever day is a school day - I had no idea that the loan criteria in "Football Manager" mirrored the League of Ireland rulebook.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
dell wrote:I know the workings of loan deals - I have hundreds of hours on Football Manager after all

They say ever day is a school day - I had no idea that the loan criteria in "Football Manager" mirrored the League of Ireland rulebook.

Tongue in cheek Zeke!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:06 pm

dell wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:

Tongue in cheek Zeke!

I got that ok!

Return to “General Discussion”