vs Drogheda 31.03.2017 KO 19:30 Live RTE

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: vs Drogheda 31.03.2017 KO 19:30 Live RTE

Postby Dundalk Wolf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:41 am

Decent 3 points last night. Duffy was excellent. Good for McGrath & Stewart to get a full 90 under their belt and they both did ok. Vemmelund did well and should be fine deputising for Gannon, but another injury to the back four (which is rocky enough already) and we're down to the bare bones.

I know it was only Drogheda but we look a different side with McMillan leading the line. Yes he missed a sitter but his movement was good and far better than Kilduff's. When McEleney's back and slotted in behind him that'll be exciting.

My concern is the two behind him. Clifford was tidy enough last night but is still struggling to impose himself. Shields imposed himself but was way too sloppy in possession. Problem is, with Stevie & Benson out of the side, we're a bit too predictable and too reliant on McEleney in the middle of the park against better sides.

This is a tough run of injuries and we need to keep digging out performances like that to keep on Cork's heels until the second round of matches. Don't see many points being dropped to the 'weaker' sides, certainly until European competition starts, and we can't afford that 6 point gap becoming 8 or 10.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19 am

Despite the absentees & the growing injury list this was a decent 3 points. We are most definitely not the finished article but look we are second at present in the league again early days & Cork are no boy wonders. We move on to Ballybofey next Friday & hopefully another win.

C'MON THE TOWN:

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby boixos nois » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 pm

I thought it was a really good performance . Vermullan looked very composed at centre back and I'd like to see him continue there. Stewart had some great touches and he combined well for our second. McMillan offered a lot up front and his finish for the goal was deadly. Some of Shields' passes were terrible and he was shaking his head in disbelief himself. However he won some great tackles and drove us forward. We missed two sitters and how did McMillan manage to put a 1 metre header wide? It actually could have been 6 1. At FT, we had 8 players ( if you consider Barrett who didn't feature much in the league ) who were didn't play last year.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 pm

boixos nois wrote: At FT, we had 8 players ( if you consider Barrett who didn't feature much in the league ) who were didn't play last year.

No doubt that we have a lot of new players trying to find their feet, but Paddy Barrett is not one of them!

Paddy played 20 times and bagged 3 goals last season, and is going into his 3rd season at Oriel Park with two leagues medals already achieved.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm glad of everyone's positivity. Vermulland was one that really shone for me and I hope he pushes Gannon all the way for a spot. Praise the lord for McMillan. I'm a fan of Clifford but I thought last night he was average. He was doing this scoopy over the top pass a few times.....the sort you see in bellew park. He was much more composed against pats, who I think are better than Drogheda. I'm a massive fan of the ever industrious shields. Last night, not his best game at all. LOTS of room for improvement for every single player on the pitch last night, new and old. Valid point there that it's like the first SK season. They've yet to click. Hopefully a run of games well lead into that. Mon de town. Harps well not be easy!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”