Fri 14/04 - Bray Wanderers

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Fri 14/04 - Bray Wanderers

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm

I'd put it this way - our players will have more confidence in their own ability to go on and do the #4inarow if Cork drop any points over the next three matches than they will if Cork go and win 11 in a row in Series 1. And that confidence would translate into performances on the pitch.

There's only one word for that - magic darts...

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 pm

El Paso wrote:Tonight's match for us is one of those where we could really be made to sweat. I'm not as confident of beating them as I'd like to be. The team is starting to take shape but I'm not sure the gaps at the back have been plugged. I kind of expect Kenny to settle on this 11 sooner or later with Gannon and Benson out long term. It needs O'Donnell, as much as I like Shields, to control everything and hold the shape and tempo.

Rogers
Vemmelund
Gartland
Hoare
Massey
O'Donnell
Duffy
Clifford
McGrath
McEleney
McMillan

It's Shields instead of O'Donnell tonight, who's still on the bench and presumably not fit.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Bit of a disaster tonight - 9 points and a big GD gap. Huge challenge from here.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Maybe SK will think twice before his next referee rant. LOI refs are a sensitive bunch.

A lot of players not at the races tonight. Massey, Shields, Clifford, Duffy, McEleney, McMillan to name a few.

First look at Kinsella, looked like a lost child.

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby boixos nois » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Step up Jim McKell, the new Anthony Buttimer. The standard of reffing in this league is just so poor. Why do these guys want to be centre of attention ? Some howlers this evening

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby boixos nois » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 pm

El Paso wrote:I'd put it this way - our players will have more confidence in their own ability to go on and do the #4inarow if Cork drop any points over the next three matches than they will if Cork go and win 11 in a row in Series 1. And that confidence would translate into performances on the pitch.

Cork won't drop points anytime soon. The league is ridiculously weak this season. Pats rovers and bohs are worse than useless. Bray might give them a game but the only dangers they face are in Oriel and Derry away.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Most lacklustre performance from a Dundalk side I've seen in years at Oriel Park. We only played in small patches particularly after going 1 down. Shields, I thought was one of only a few who put in a good shift, his tackle which led to a Bray free & subsequent second penalty was fair, he won the ball cleanly, shocking decision by the referee. No Matter what, you must win your home games & so far it's a struggle at times. I'm no way throwing in the towel, still a long way to go but we surely can't lose any more if we're holding any ambition for four in a row.

C'MON THE TOWN:

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:39 am

Bad decision for the free kick against Sheilds in the build up to the penalty, the irony of complaining about penalties not being given to us yet we give two away in one game , first one I felt was a penalty. We can complain about the referee all we like but at the end of the day we are not ruthless enough,I don't think Cherrie had a save to make. Cork are the best team in the league by a mile and if they keep their form going will have the league won by June, the way we are playing we will drop a fair few points between now and then.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiderman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 am

I've no problem Kenny having a go about penaltys and from his point of view I understand what he was trying to do but his comment's are so unlike the great man they have backfired,Is he feeling the pressure of 4 in a row ?? In any case we can point fingers and pass the buck but the first was a penalty I didn't get a good look at the 2nd penalty and there 3rd was a good goal no complaints we just didn't do enough on the night.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:45 am

Yeah i don't think the penalty comments had any baring. I agree with the first and didn't see the second. Don't know what Massey was doing for the 3rd goal.

Thought the ref was very poor but again we were the architects of our own downfall. We couldn't get the ball to davie mac and a lot of our attacks didn't have any great purpose. We could of and should of destroyed bray last night but too many performances with 6/10.

Conor Clifford needs to do more. He is a good passer and is always in a position to receive the ball behind the play but he never bursts forward or takes a man on. I know he was hauled off at half time and probably rightly so
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby boixos nois » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 am

Remember it was 0 0 before McKell decided he wanted in on the action. We had a couple of chances in the first half and bray were playing for a draw. We got it back to 1 1 and looked like we could go on and get the winner. Then a clueless decision against Shields and a peno that NOBODY , including the bray players ,in the stadium saw. That knocked the stuffing out of us and we weren't going to come back after that. I do agree re Massey, he has caused a few goals this season , prob because he knows his place is safe.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 am

Let's not take anything away from Bray. They are really well organised and extremely well coached. They made an excellent signing in Gary McCabe. Foran reminded me of when he played at oriel. He won every header, as that's all he did at oriel when he was here we never got out of our own half. Connolly has absolutely electric pace.

I agree first penalty was soft but a cert. The player was going nowhere and O'Donnell didn't need to do what he did. I don't think anyone in the ground knew what the second was for as all eyes were on the ball. Overall the ref allowed McElhaney to be kicked 4 times by the same player before he gave a yellow. And I mean kicked Sunday league style. And the free against shields that lead to the second penalty was one of the worst decisions I have seen on a football field.

Looking at the team performers I thought hoare, vemmulund and McGrath were excellent all throughout the game. We dominated the game without creating any major chances in the first half bar McGrath's shot. The pattern continued for the second half. Delighted to see shields slowly but surely getting back to himself last night but he was on his own in the middle really. McElhaney is great but last night he tried to be maradonna at every opportunity. Just be basic, get it down and pass it. Our set pieces have been atrocious so far this season. Delivery and shots wise.

I would seriously question Kenny's judgement of bringing McGrath and Duffy off. They may have been knackered but Stewart is not good enough and kinsella, well he'd want to be seriously good in years to come as it makes the decision to let the two O'Connor's go look like another bad move.

Overall we played good football last night but not good enough to win. We are certainly not good enough to win the league and will do very well to get third this year I think. Have to be realistic but in Stephen Kenny I truly trust with steering this club into the future.

If cork city fans can put up with caulfield for 3/4 seasons then we can put up with a rebuilding job here in oriel ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am

Sneachta wrote:. Delighted to see shields slowly but surely getting back to himself last night but he was on his own in the middle really.

Chris Shields attempts at crossing and playing any sort of pass in the final third last night were pathetic. It is a total myth that this guy is a footballer.
The needless cross field balls that achieve absolutely nothing. A floated pass gives any defense time to regain shape and position.
The sliding tackles that everyone loves, but the reason he has to do them is that he is out of position in the first place.

Thought Hoare looked comfortable. And really like the look of McGrath.

Says plenty that Kilduff wasnt thrown on. SK has finally seen his mistake here.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:35 am

Don't agree with you regard shields regarding crosses. Massey, Duffy, McElhaney, vemmulund, while all played well (with exception of Massey) struggled to cross the ball. But were allowed to disagree.

Totally agree with regards kilduff. We are so light up front its unreal.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

For me the first penalty was one of those "seen them given" types. But there was no need for SOD to touch him, had he just stood him up, I don't think Green would have got the shot away. Like everyone else, I missed the 2nd one but the worst decision for me was the yellow card for Sheilds, a perfectly timed tackle that the ref deemed to be dangerous, shocking decision.
The ref was bad but we weren't good enough, a poor performance yet again against a team in and around us in the league.
King Kenny!

Return to “General Discussion”