Fri 14/04 - Bray Wanderers

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Fri 14/04 - Bray Wanderers

Postby mike » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Very disappointing performance, two pens obviously changed the match, I'd have given the first, stupid thing to do to push their guy while in full flight. The second one looked just a comical decision, will need to see that again. Overall though, this was a very strong performance by Bray who were better than us in a lot of areas.

We virtually played with 10 men in the first half,Clifford did almost nothing, showed no sign of a guy who played at any level in England. Shields apart from and few crunching tackles was off the pace and we just never got real control of the middle. Zero service to McMillan who also looked like he was out of sorts.

9 points behind, maybe its a bridge too far, but still 24 games to play, Cork are on fire, but of more concern is our form. There is still a lot to achieve this season, but we have got to get back on track, and quickly.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:02 pm

My concern is not so much how good Cork but how poor so much of the rest of the field are. Bray and a resurgent Derry and ourselves if we get our act together look lhe only one who you can see taking points off Cork unless they have an off day. It is alos more likely that we will drop points again before Cork will unless we go on some serious run injuries or not.

boixos nois
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby boixos nois » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:34 pm

SK after the game to RTÉ.

Referee Jim McKell took centre stage as Dundalk fell to a 3-1 defeat at home to Bray Wanderers at Oriel Park last night.

The match official awarded Harry Kenny’s side two controversial second half penalties, both converted by Gary McCabe, as Dundalk slipped to a defeat which seen them fall nine points off league leaders Cork City.

The first penalty arrived in the 54th minute when Stephen O’Donnell was adjudged to have fouled Aaron Greene in the box.

McCabe converted to give the visitors the lead but their advantage was to last just three minutes as O’Donnell equalised following a neat one-two with David McMillan.

Bray were to restore their advantage with a second penalty from McCabe on 64 minutes after Ryan Brennan went down in the box and Brennan secured the win with a third goal soon after.

Speaking to RTÉ Sport after the game, Dundalk manager Kenny fumed at the two penalty decisions.

“I felt neither of them were penalties,” he said.

“I think the second one especially is bizarre really. Number one it wasn’t a free-kick, Chris Shields won the ball brilliantly, but the free-kick was given.

“Secondly, Dane Massey’s been fouled from a free-kick that Gary Rogers took comfortably and a penalty is given. I just can’t understand for the life of me how that is given.

“I think they are some exceptionally poor decisions…bizarre really. I’m very, very disappointed.

“It’s hard to take really, very, very difficult to accept.”

Kenny said that McKell wouldn’t speak to him after the game when questioned about the penalty decisions.

“You can deduct from that what you want,” he said.

“You would like to think at the start of every game that a referee would have no preconceived notion or wouldn’t be agenda driven…that’s what you would hope.

“I don’t ever remember in 15 years such dramatic incidents in relation to penalties being given.”

I for one agree 100% with him. 1 1 and we were back in the game but Ref wanted to teach SK a lesson I'd say.Oh and by the way , ref allowed bray to kick McELeny around the pitch for much of the 1st half. I don't mind losing fair and square and this team will still take a while to get used to playing together but to be cheated out of a game we were edging is hard to take.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 pm

It's possible that we'll fall into the dreaded 'narrative' territory.

There are specific reasons why we lost each of the three we've lost. While not playing at the giddy heights of 2015 we haven't been outclassed in any game. We've been the architects of our own downfall in Cork and Derry and despite the criticisms it doesn't sound like Bray were actually better than us. If the ref doesn't intervene at 1-1, we don't lose. I don't think any team has a better squad than us when all our players are fit.

There's nothing we can do about Cork now. It's already in their hands and we're relying on other teams to stop bending over for them - starting with Bray. Just like the Rovers game it sounds like Bohs got screwed a bit. Soccer Republic will be interesting.

But hopefully Stephen Kenny can see that our application isn't 100% there. The workrate we were renowned for - the high pressing, the domination of midfield, the movement off the ball - is not there at the moment. We're slower and more static than we were. Once the team settles into shape that has to come next.

I still think that by the summer we'll be motoring along nicely. Trouble is that by then we could be all eyes on European progression already.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:51 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sneachta wrote:. Delighted to see shields slowly but surely getting back to himself last night but he was on his own in the middle really.

Chris Shields attempts at crossing and playing any sort of pass in the final third last night were pathetic. It is a total myth that this guy is a footballer.
The needless cross field balls that achieve absolutely nothing. A floated pass gives any defense time to regain shape and position.
The sliding tackles that everyone loves, but the reason he has to do them is that he is out of position in the first place.

Ridiculous comment, you're criticising a defensive midfielder for not creating a goal scoring opportunity but the players who are there to do that and couldn't escape your criticism. The game was tight and Shields was brave enough to time and again look for the ball. From what I remember he played some very nice cross field balls. Also interesting to note he was given motm by extratime.

Coming on here and posting ridiculous comments about one of our most consistent performers during the clubs most successful years might make you feel better but makes you look clueless

Return to “General Discussion”