Kenny's comments

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 pm
Location: Dundalk
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby ArFella » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 am

*Breaking News*
Manager of second place team makes comment about decisions not going his teams way.

Is this not what managers do when they aren't top, make comments to try and sway decisions or push media focus away from their team? Maybe they don't in Cork because they are all too honourable, of course butter wouldn't melt in John Caulfield's mouth and if the shoe was on the other foot he wouldn't even mention the penalties.

Enjoy riding your high horse while you're still on top, because come October we won't hear a peep from ya.


Mon the Town!

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby el-pietro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 am

Sneachta wrote:What's everyone's take on Stephens comments regarding penalties? He makes a good point I think. It is a bizarre statistic. I don't agree with the lambasting he is being about it though.... Even from our own local media. It is a tad petty but when you look at the stats.... Well it is hard to believe. I remember on 2 occasions in Europa league Horgan got chopped out of it against Alkmaar and tel Aviv but he kept going. Perhaps our players need to go down more often.

Anyway, it's great to see so many opposition supporters get their knickers in a twist.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hard to believe because its not true.
We've had 13 penalties since the start of last season, but his comments were about a 12 month period, so you can shave two or three pens off. Theres also the fact that 3 were in Europe. Oh, and he forgot your penalty in the the FAI Cup Semi at the very least.

We had 9 penalties in Domestic football last year. You had 3. Bit of a discrepancy but its largely down to our style of play. We spend a lot of time dribbling at players in the box. Dooley in particular prefers to cut inside and run at players.
Your strength last year was Horgans deliveries, our deliveries have been poor for the most part. Particularly in the air, our successful crosses tend to be low and into feet.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby el-pietro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 am

But its very clear what hes attempting to do, I'm not surprised at all. Strange that the media haven't looked at the detail but we should be used to the laziness of many "journalists" today. Will be interesting to see if it has any impact on referee decisions over the next few weeks.

User avatar
Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Kezz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am

Sneachta wrote:
His comments are out of character. But some in our local media referred to them as "embarrassing". I think those local media experts need to take a hard look at the facts. Fergie was renowned for his " demand" for impeccable time keeping from fourth officials and the peno count in old Trafford during the fergie era had also been the most generous to the home side. I don't near many giving fergie too much stick.


Fergie was a cheat who demanded impeccable time keeping to suit his own agenda. Some man you are aligning SK with there. If Utd were 2-0 up in a game at OT, Fergie would be happy with 2mins added time. If it was a draw or somehow they were losing he would want 5/6/7 mins of added time. Every man and his dog knew that man was a cheat. Did you ever hear of Fergie time?

The media in Dundalk were correct. They are professional people and know well when someone crosses the line. He has called a rival club and their top scorer cheats. This is the leagues top scorer who is heading for an International call-up. He has also called the LOI officials cheats too. If ever there was a case of bringing the game into disrepute it is here. He might escape with these lone comments this time only because the FAI are such a poor organisation but if he mentions them in his programme notes tonight or in any upcoming Interview i am sure action will be taken.

I am confident there are many intelligent Dundalk fans would be worried to see SK behave like this. They are the actions of a man under pressure. You can dress it up what way you want, but only pressure brings that odd behaviour out in people.

I keep reading "we will see in October" comments being bandied about. You are weaker this season and we are stronger, so that is something to think about for you. I am not so sure some of you realise that, because one thing is for sure and that is SK realises it. That is the reason behind his comments.

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby White Horse » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

Kenny is putting a bit of pressure on officials, but it does come across as a bit whiney.

It is easy to be magnanimous about these things when you are six points ahead but it is a different story when you are six points behind and trying to catch up.

From what I have seen, the vast majority of Cork's penalties were nailed on, a few were a bit soft. He is probably more concerned with how fouls on our players in the box appear to be ignored by officials. It is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: RE: Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Sneachta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 am

Kezz wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
His comments are out of character. But some in our local media referred to them as "embarrassing". I think those local media experts need to take a hard look at the facts. Fergie was renowned for his " demand" for impeccable time keeping from fourth officials and the peno count in old Trafford during the fergie era had also been the most generous to the home side. I don't near many giving fergie too much stick.


Fergie was a cheat who demanded impeccable time keeping to suit his own agenda. Some man you are aligning SK with there. If Utd were 2-0 up in a game at OT, Fergie would be happy with 2mins added time. If it was a draw or somehow they were losing he would want 5/6/7 mins of added time. Every man and his dog knew that man was a cheat. Did you ever hear of Fergie time?

The media in Dundalk were correct. They are professional people and know well when someone crosses the line. He has called a rival club and their top scorer cheats. This is the leagues top scorer who is heading for an International call-up. He has also called the LOI officials cheats too. If ever there was a case of bringing the game into disrepute it is here. He might escape with these lone comments this time only because the FAI are such a poor organisation but if he mentions them in his programme notes tonight or in any upcoming Interview i am sure action will be taken.

I am confident there are many intelligent Dundalk fans would be worried to see SK behave like this. They are the actions of a man under pressure. You can dress it up what way you want, but only pressure brings that odd behaviour out in people.

I keep reading "we will see in October" comments being bandied about. You are weaker this season and we are stronger, so that is something to think about for you. I am not so sure some of you realise that, because one thing is for sure and that is SK realises it. That is the reason behind his comments.

I haven't heard the word cheat being used by him at any stage kezz. You'd be in more danger of bringing this forum into disrepute in fairness.

He did refer to you guys last year by going down in the box when there was a.....how did eloquently put it..... "At the sight of a crisp bag in box".... Where was the furor with those penalty comments last year???

This is nothing new. These comments are nothing new. And mind games are nothing new.

As a previous commenter intelligently put it, perhaps corks style of play is conducive to attracting penalties.

Either way your blood pressure must be sky rocketing every time you come on this forum. I reckon you take a break from us and let us discuss our own manager. You take your perigrin falcon kezz and relax for a bit and enjoy Cork on the top of the table. Don't mind us, were just speculating and debating. ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: RE: Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Kezz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

Sneachta wrote:
Kezz wrote:
Sneachta wrote:
His comments are out of character. But some in our local media referred to them as "embarrassing". I think those local media experts need to take a hard look at the facts. Fergie was renowned for his " demand" for impeccable time keeping from fourth officials and the peno count in old Trafford during the fergie era had also been the most generous to the home side. I don't near many giving fergie too much stick.


Fergie was a cheat who demanded impeccable time keeping to suit his own agenda. Some man you are aligning SK with there. If Utd were 2-0 up in a game at OT, Fergie would be happy with 2mins added time. If it was a draw or somehow they were losing he would want 5/6/7 mins of added time. Every man and his dog knew that man was a cheat. Did you ever hear of Fergie time?

The media in Dundalk were correct. They are professional people and know well when someone crosses the line. He has called a rival club and their top scorer cheats. This is the leagues top scorer who is heading for an International call-up. He has also called the LOI officials cheats too. If ever there was a case of bringing the game into disrepute it is here. He might escape with these lone comments this time only because the FAI are such a poor organisation but if he mentions them in his programme notes tonight or in any upcoming Interview i am sure action will be taken.

I am confident there are many intelligent Dundalk fans would be worried to see SK behave like this. They are the actions of a man under pressure. You can dress it up what way you want, but only pressure brings that odd behaviour out in people.

I keep reading "we will see in October" comments being bandied about. You are weaker this season and we are stronger, so that is something to think about for you. I am not so sure some of you realise that, because one thing is for sure and that is SK realises it. That is the reason behind his comments.

I haven't heard the word cheat being used by him at any stage kezz. You'd be in more danger of bringing this forum into disrepute in fairness.

He did refer to you guys last year by going down in the box when there was a.....how did eloquently put it..... "At the sight of a crisp bag in box".... Where was the furor with those penalty comments last year???

This is nothing new. These comments are nothing new. And mind games are nothing new.

As a previous commenter intelligently put it, perhaps corks style of play is conducive to attracting penalties.

Either way your blood pressure must be sky rocketing every time you come on this forum. I reckon you take a break from us and let us discuss our own manager. You take your perigrin falcon kezz and relax for a bit and enjoy Cork on the top of the table. Don't mind us, were just speculating and debating. ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk



I can assure you that my BP is perfectly fine, Sneachta. I am enjoying a day off and preparing for trip to Dalymount Park, a venue i really enjoy visiting each season.

Just a little quote for you from SK's comments..

“We are not going to encourage our players to go down. We have our values. In terms of the manufacturing of penalties the referees have to see through that. We have seen with the penalty Cork got against Shamrock Rovers a few weeks ago where Rovers lost 2-1 in Tallaght. That sort of manufacturing of penalties has to be stopped. They are being given too easily.”

Now if you don't think those particular comments are not calling our team and our topscorer a cheat then more fool you.

Now back to my hammock with the delightful sounds of James Taylor in the background to prepare myself for another three points on the road.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: RE: Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Ezeikial » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

Kezz wrote:
Just a little quote for you from SK's comments..

“We are not going to encourage our players to go down. We have our values. In terms of the manufacturing of penalties the referees have to see through that. We have seen with the penalty Cork got against Shamrock Rovers a few weeks ago where Rovers lost 2-1 in Tallaght. That sort of manufacturing of penalties has to be stopped. They are being given too easily.”

Now if you don't think those particular comments are not calling our team and our topscorer a cheat then more fool you.


The meaning of SK's comments are completely clear - he regards the penalty in Tallaght as one that was "manufactured" by Maguire.

Some people see this as cheating, others don't.

No need for the "fool" comment at all
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm
Location: The Sticks
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Townfan7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Stephen Kenny is entitled to his opinion like anyone else however, on this occasion I feel he may have been better saying nothing. Let any talking be done on the pitch starting tonight with a victory over Bray.

C'MON THE TOWN:

User avatar
Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: RE: Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Kezz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Kezz wrote:
Just a little quote for you from SK's comments..

“We are not going to encourage our players to go down. We have our values. In terms of the manufacturing of penalties the referees have to see through that. We have seen with the penalty Cork got against Shamrock Rovers a few weeks ago where Rovers lost 2-1 in Tallaght. That sort of manufacturing of penalties has to be stopped. They are being given too easily.”

Now if you don't think those particular comments are not calling our team and our topscorer a cheat then more fool you.


The meaning of SK's comments are completely clear - he regards the penalty in Tallaght as one that was "manufactured" by Maguire.

Some people see this as cheating, others don't.

No need for the "fool" comment at all


God forbid a lighthearted cliched "fool" comment might cause offence. Lighten up.

SK called Maguire a cheat, end of story. If you read that in any other way you are only fooling yourself.

What do some of you have against rival supporters coming on here and standing up for their club? I post on most LOI forums and they are all very welcoming. I will always defend my club. 99% of the time it's banter. And you say we have a chip on our shoulder?

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm particularly enjoying the 'Cork run at players in the box' thing as if Dundalk's superior goalscoring record from open play were all shots from outside the box, or as if the likes of Horgan, McEleney, McMillan are afraid to take on or go past a man.

Don't care what way you cut it, the difference in number of penalties awarded is anomalous.

Incidentally wasn't Caulfield sent to the stands by the ref and later accused Towell of having 'dived' (to quote) during the 1-1 draw in Oriel two years ago? Didn't Caulfield then accuse McEleney of having 'dived' (to quote) during the 2-1 last season?. Isn't an accusation of diving specifically an accusation of cheating?

Caulfield has been trying to pull the refs favour Dundalk thing for 3 years. It's just no one listens to him.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6921
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby mike » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Ive no issues win him making the point on the limited amount of penalties awarded, but there was probably no need to over analyse it and go into so much detail. We did get a pen (scored) away to Derry in the cup semi and one missed by Finn away in Iceland. The overall point stands though in amount of penalties awarded to Cork v Dundalk. If you look at Maguire going down v Rovers, more a silly and lazy challenge but ref prob had to give it. Then compare that to McNulty taking Kilduff down, you can see where he coming from. No need to go into so much detail about it though.

Spiderman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:23 am
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Spiderman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Its great for the game to have a dig now and again,football managers have become to nice especially in the loi and don't want to say what they really think in public, gone are the days of Mourinho and Wenger,its no big deal imo if anything it sets up a tasty meeting at oriel more of it I say hopefully JC responds.

el-pietro
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:15 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby el-pietro » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 am

Ouch. Thats gotta sting.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 pm

This could turn out to be great craic yet


FAIR CAUL John Caulfiled wants the FAI to take action against Stephen Kenny over his penalty complaints
The Dundalk boss has voiced his complaints about the lack of penalties awarded to his side in comparison to Cork in the last year


https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/87 ... omplaints/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests